The Student Room Group

Anti-Street Harassment UK- a new feminist group.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cable
And everyone knows that "unwanted attention" generally means getting attention from a guy who's not hot/cute/good looking.

Or she's not single and doesn't want the attention.

Or she is single and not looking to be otherwise.

Or she's gay and not interested in anyone without boobs.

Or she just doesn't like guys who yell across the street.
Original post by Cable
I haven't got a problem with that. But why do we men have to step in? According to you feminists, you females are equal with us. So why can't women step in as well? Why is it only men that should step in?

And don't be naive in thinking every man on this planet gives a damn about your "dilemmas". There are more important things in life to worry about than men shouting across the road "Alright darling!" But you feminists can't just grow a pair (not literally of course) and get on with your life. Why can't you focus on more important things in your life and stop wasting our time with such trivial matters (in comparison to global issues)?

Also, what if the woman doesn't show any sign of being "uncomfortable" or "upset"? And everyone knows that "unwanted attention" generally means getting attention from a guy who's not hot/cute/good looking.

Like I said, grow a pair.

Why do you keep saying that? It has nothing to do with feminism, its about women not feeling comfortable when men yell things at them from their vans or on the street, because its embarrassing and at times, really quite threatening, depending on what they do.

And concerning women stepping in, I think you'll find that a lot of women stand up for their friends or others when they are being harrassed in the street, I've done it many, many times. And I've seen men get involved too. In fact, I've seen men become furious when their girlfriends/sisters/female friends are harrassed in the street.
Reply 182
Original post by foreveranon
Where did I say that only guys SHOULD step in? I've stepped in before. I've asked someone to back off a woman because she was very clearly upset by the attention. I've also pulled aside a male colleague who was being hit on by a male workmate despite indicating he didn't enjoy the attention and asked if he was okay. Sometimes a "Hey, are you okay, is X bothering you?" is all that's needed. If more is needed.. well, now there's two of us.

OK then. I'll bear that in mind from now on and try to do that if I spot someone being harassed.
Reply 183
Or she's not single and doesn't want the attention.

Or she is single and not looking to be otherwise.

Or she's gay and not interested in anyone without boobs.

Or she just doesn't like guys who yell across the street.

I was obviously referring to single girls who are looking for relationships. But yeah, those are good points.
Original post by Cable
I was obviously referring to single girls who are looking for relationships. But yeah, those are good points.

The problem is, guys don't know which it is -- not by looking. So the girl who backs off from attention might be thinking the guy is ugly, sure. Or she might have a million other reasons which she won't think to explain.
Reply 185
Original post by Antonia87
Why do you keep saying that? It has nothing to do with feminism, its about women not feeling comfortable when men yell things at them from their vans or on the street, because its embarrassing and at times, really quite threatening, depending on what they do.

And concerning women stepping in, I think you'll find that a lot of women stand up for their friends or others when they are being harrassed in the street, I've done it many, many times. And I've seen men get involved too. In fact, I've seen men become furious when their girlfriends/sisters/female friends are harrassed in the street.

If you read the title, it says it's a new feminist group. Many of the people who support this are feminists. The person I was replying to, "foreveranon" is also a feminist. Then you turned up.

And I'm already aware of all those things, Mistress Obvious. Foreveranon raised up the point again. So I was assuming that in her environment she doesn't see people helping others who are "harassed" or helping her whenever she was "harassed".
Reply 186
I've only seen men letting their eyes wander at a female & vice-versa, but I haven't ever seen groping. I'm quite shocked tbfh. I didn't realise it was this common.

But then again, I'm not a female & nor do the females in my family wear clothes as the pic in OP's post.
I think aggressive harassment is wrong, but I like wolf-whistles/horn-honks :L
Reply 188
The problem is, guys don't know which it is -- not by looking. So the girl who backs off from attention might be thinking the guy is ugly, sure. Or she might have a million other reasons which she won't think to explain.

But if these guys couldn't tell which type of girl it was going to be, you can't discriminate them for thinking it was a single woman (actively looking for relationships). And therefore, they let the girl know, albeit in a wrong manner, that they find her attractive.

On the other hand, if they don't know what type of girl it's going to be and whether they'll be "harassed", then they should shut up.

But like I said, this is too small a matter compared to global issues to waste people's time and energy on. I suggest you grow a pair or if you really feel harassed, call for help from surrounding people to step in.

Or if you want this movement to gain more credibility, this anti-harassment group should also include everybody in their case. Men, women, old people, kids (outside or in school) and everyone of all ages and races shouldn't be harassed. So whether it's a group of young girls, in school, shouting at boys and giggling about it toogether, a group of young boys, men in a van, sluts walking on the street at night shouting at men, teenage chavs shouting at old people, they should all be punished equally.

If a group of Year 7 girls are shouting at a nerd on the streets outside school (or in the school playground) and are giggling about it together and the boy feels harassed, then the group of girls should get the same punishment as the men in a van shouting to a woman "How's it going darling!"
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by wtfCharlie
I think aggressive harassment is wrong, but I like wolf-whistles/horn-honks :L

I think you are the first girl to say that on this thread :biggrin: Why do you like them?

:sexface:
Reply 190
Original post by Ulo
There is a difference between suggestive looks and harassment, I'm sure most reasonable people can recognise that.

Wedges are only thin at one end
Original post by Ulo
I don't see what's irrational about disliking being accosted on the street? And supposing you are a rational person, do you think this sort of thing should be allowed to continue unchecked? Is it reasonable and fair that so many women should be subjected to this is? It does make places horrible to visit, surely it should be classed as anti-social behaviour.

If women asked me for my number and shouted 'nice arse' at me in the street I wouldn't mind. If they did anything physically inappropriate or anything genuinely verbally abusive I would call the police for verbal or physical assult. People are allowed to express their attraction.
So, what this initiative is about is actively making it less socially acceptable for men shout things, whistle, and generally harrass women in the street. And people are arguing against this? TSR, I am disappointed, although not entirely surprised.

It has NOTHING to do with stopping men from looking at women they're attracted to, and anyone pretending that that is the issue here is either an idiot or is deliberately seeking to be difficult.

My girl gets comments from men in cars and men on the streets pretty regularly when I'm not with her. It makes her very uncomfortable, sometimes scared, and it makes me angry. If more men just told their friends not to do it, then people would do it less. It seems pretty sensible to me. I don't really understand the uproar at all.
It can. However, this has been studied, and one of those intangibles is that people hire people who "look like them". White middle-aged guys hire white guys because they'll "fit in with the department" and well, that's who's always worked there.

That particular company was also engaging in some highly dodgy practices at the time, including making the only female senior director redundant and then re-advertising her role a month later. I saw my department shrink from a third female to barely an eighth before I left. I wasn't the only one picking up the hiring practices and making tracks.

It was a major multinational company, which I'm not naming as it would be recognised. They have HR practices which mean they should be justifying promotions pretty firmly. Those practices just started being ignored.

but if you don't endear yourself to them, if you don't make them want you for whatever reason, is that really there fault?

If you're trying to sell cars for example, and you have to choose between an attractive girl and an ugly girl, you choose the attractive girl.

Likewise if you are trying to sell TVs or sports cars or something "male", speaking as a guy, you'd rather have a guy sell it to you.

it's not sexist, it's smart

A) I wasn't married, or even dating at that time. Why should I be considered more a risk than my male colleagues (one of whom was in a serious relationship) just because I have ovaries? Wouldn't they be distracted by a child? What if the child was sick? What if they ended up a lone parent?

B) ...and if they had so much as whispered that I would cheerfully have sued them into next week, because taking that into consideration is illegal.

A) because there is still the risk of it, obviously i didn't know your situation but it's not like your male colleagues can get pregnant. Males don't get maternity leave, traditionally speaking women after the birth of the child often stay at home and look after it. This would also mean you're not going to do overtime if you have kids to take care of.

B) see this really bugs me, and this is also why they "struggeld to come up with reasons" why they didn't hire you, because if you hear a reason you don't like you'll sue to high heaven. It's probably a legitimate concern for a business if your going to go missing for 30 odd weeks while still on pay, and then if the child interferes with your work, stops you putting your all into it, then they're kind of ****ed aren't they
Reply 194
To any guy in here who says that he would help a woman or any person in danger but for this situation lets just say its a woman you have to save lets say shes been harrased by a group of guys thats great thats nice your putting your own personal safety at risk for this woman you don't even know.Which lets face it guys usually are the sex that does this.

You'r boyfriend or husband is your personal bodyguard who risks his life for you and does it for nothing in return.

Now ask yourself one question would this woman do this for me?

When I think about that question and answer it my answer is NO she would'nt
so why should I protect her I mean in the past before I realised how selfish woman can be I would have done anything but I have grown and changed and don't think woman deserve my help. I have never had a lady in shining armour step up for me iver than female members of my family never a stranger , a woman who I don't know so why should I risk my safety for a strange woman?

By the way you woman who dress like whores harrass me sexually by dressing in such a manner.
(edited 13 years ago)
I in no way think it's right, but so long as men arent touching women as in just saying something (so long as it is not a threat of violence) I don't see how you can make it illegal without taking away a persons right to free speech.

So it's a tricky one.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Drumzilla
but if you don't endear yourself to them, if you don't make them want you for whatever reason, is that really there fault?

If you're trying to sell cars for example, and you have to choose between an attractive girl and an ugly girl, you choose the attractive girl.

Likewise if you are trying to sell TVs or sports cars or something "male", speaking as a guy, you'd rather have a guy sell it to you.

...I'm sorry, girls don't buy TVs now? Or cars? We're 50% of the population, I'm pretty sure we also have cash and shockingly it doesn't go on vacuum cleaners.

As someone who spends a good deal of money on computer components I couldn't care less what gender my salesperson is but I've walked out of shops where they displayed attitudes like yours.

A) because there is still the risk of it, obviously i didn't know your situation but it's not like your male colleagues can get pregnant. Males don't get maternity leave, traditionally speaking women after the birth of the child often stay at home and look after it. This would also mean you're not going to do overtime if you have kids to take care of.

...or maybe my husband wouldn't do overtime because he's child-minding. Maybe we have an agreement (shockingly, couples can have those) that should children appear, he will be the one to take on child-rearing. Maybe we don't even have a choice -- maybe he's unemployed and it makes financial sense to do it that way.

"Traditionally" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Women can't get promoted because people think they'll be the child-raisers. So they earn less than their husbands. So when they have kids, it doesn't make financial sense to have the husband stay home. So...

(Or MAYBE, I don't want kids at all. Would me presenting a hysterectomy certificate get me that promotion? A note from my doctor saying I have a coil? What do you want here?)

B) see this really bugs me, and this is also why they "struggeld to come up with reasons" why they didn't hire you, because if you hear a reason you don't like you'll sue to high heaven. It's probably a legitimate concern for a business if your going to go missing for 30 odd weeks while still on pay, and then if the child interferes with your work, stops you putting your all into it, then they're kind of ****ed aren't they

No, a "reason I don't like" isn't covered. If they told me my skills were behind here and here, I'd hate it but I could improve. If they cited poor people skills, I wouldn't like it but tough. If I blew the interview by some unconscious poor personal habit, it would suck but I would have to live with it.

Not hiring me because I have ovaries is illegal however, and I hope you learn that before you get into a hiring situation or you are going to cost someone a lot of money.
Original post by limetang
I in no way think it's right, but so long as men arent touching women as in just saying something (so long as it is not a threat of violence) I don't see how you can make it illegal without taking away a persons right to free speech.

So it's a tricky one.

Did anyone even read the article? :rolleyes:

Nobody ever said they were going to make anything illegal!

They said people should discourage the behaviour among their friends and make an effort to make the behaviour socially unacceptable.

facepalm.jpg
Any women who gets upset when guys check her out has some serious, serious issues.

It's a compliment, be glad you're not a fat girl.
Original post by Arturo Bandini
Did anyone even read the article? :rolleyes:

Nobody ever said they were going to make anything illegal!

They said people should discourage the behaviour among their friends and make an effort to make the behaviour socially unacceptable.

facepalm.jpg

Why should it be socially unacceptable...

It's just ridiculous, illegal or not.

The other day in a form tutor lesson we had a lesson about feminism, my tutor comes out with

"Do you think we should call females ladies instead of women because men use the word women in a derogatory manner."

WHA?!!?!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending