The Student Room Group

Am I to stupid to get a job?

Scroll to see replies

2 B's at A-level isn't terrible, cheer up. The economy is in ****ty state at the moment, it's not you it's the ****ing bankers.
Your grades are not that bad you can still get into a university.

Do a foundation year thats 4years for a course, 4yrs would give the market time for some growth hopefully the job market will be better when you finish.
(edited 13 years ago)
do an access course they're easy to get into uni with :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan
It wouldn't be cheating though, it's clear to me that you do suffer from moderate depression and self-esteem issues. Academic success is mostly down to hard work, and you proved that with getting good results when you weren't feeling really down.

When I got that A* and those Bs (I got three As and a B out of three exams and coursework for the other A Level as well as the A* and Bs) I was probably the happiest I'd been in years. Suffice to say, though, that I am susceptible to this unhappiness and it would influence work were I to go to university. I don't think I could live with myself knowing I'd had £27,000 worth of education and messed it up.

I also wouldn't know how to mention it on an application without sounding self-pitying.
Reply 24
No point going to uni post-2012 I feel. Plus the degree hasn't as much value as people make you believe these days. It's all down to supply and demand, the demand for employees is generally dwindling.
Reply 25
Original post by Dekota-XS
No point going to uni post-2012 I feel. Plus the degree hasn't as much value as people make you believe these days. It's all down to supply and demand, the demand for employees is generally dwindling.

I know, but that's not in my favour. Those fewer with degrees would be the most employable and favourable for employers.
Original post by hatemylife
I think I just have to do something I don't like, tbh. My family struggles financially and I feel awul just sponging off of them. I need a job so I can help out rather than spend lots of time until something I like comes along. Atm I am studying another A Level at home, but I won't get a very good grade. That's not negativity, it's more reality and my learning from what I've been through academically, already. I did have a very well planned course for my life, e.g. upon graduating I'd apply for an internship that allows you to work half the week for an organisation that I'd be happy working at for the rest of my life, and the other half of the week study for an MA. Unfortuantely, a prerequisite is a first. As I say, it's nonegativity, it's just awareness of my abilities (or lack thereof) and what I'm likely to get.

Judging from your posts thus far, you're more than capable of doing whatever you wish to do so. A levels don't matter that much anyway, I took AS maths last year and can wholeheartedly say I cannot remember more than 10% of what I studied, as I never thought to find any practical use for the stuff learnt.

With regards to the subject you're taking, or what you were thinking of doing at Uni, may I ask what it was you had in mind? As others have mentioned things like an Access course. And I do agree on the work, but it can be temporary if you wish. Trust me your situation is not bad at all, in ten years time you'll look back and not even remember this moment, as currently things look bad simply because there's a lack of anything else in your life. As a side anecdote, my 28 year old uncle arrived from a foreign country at a young age and missed a large chunk of secondary, had worse A level grades than you do and now only around ten years on he's earning 50k a year after doing a degree and masters in computer science. He was most definitely on a lower academic level to you, but effort and time is a remedy for bad situations. And he worked in McDonalds whilst doing his degree too, and you could consider part time work to help out with the finances also. My family is on the bad side financially too, and I'm not particularly special academically either but I do put as much effort as I can as one of my goals is to be able to help them out.
Reply 27
Original post by AndroidLight
Judging from your posts thus far, you're more than capable of doing whatever you wish to do so. A levels don't matter that much anyway, I took AS maths last year and can wholeheartedly say I cannot remember more than 10% of what I studied, as I never thought to find any practical use for the stuff learnt.

With regards to the subject you're taking, or what you were thinking of doing at Uni, may I ask what it was you had in mind? As others have mentioned things like an Access course. And I do agree on the work, but it can be temporary if you wish. Trust me your situation is not bad at all, in ten years time you'll look back and not even remember this moment, as currently things look bad simply because there's a lack of anything else in your life. As a side anecdote, my 28 year old uncle arrived from a foreign country at a young age and missed a large chunk of secondary, had worse A level grades than you do and now only around ten years on he's earning 50k a year after doing a degree and masters in computer science. He was most definitely on a lower academic level to you, but effort and time is a remedy for bad situations. And he worked in McDonalds whilst doing his degree too, and you could consider part time work to help out with the finances also. My family is on the bad side financially too, and I'm not particularly special academically either but I do put as much effort as I can as one of my goals is to be able to help them out.

It's invigorating to hear such anecdotes, but people such as your uncle possess what I don't: motivation. I know that sounds terribly selfish, given opportunities and what I lack is motivation, but it's more psychological than it is laziness.

The subject I'd have liked to study was History. I did it at A Level and I am studying Classics at home. I also have some experience in heritage and that sort of stuff, but it's not enough, sadly.

Regarding the work, I don't care what it is, but even things I hate I can't get. I've even put my name down to attend courses organised by the Job Centre to improve my CV, but nothing seems to help. Just stuck in a rut that I can't get out of on my own, and no other avenues to take.
Original post by Tommyjw
You may be academically 'stupid'.
But this does not mean you lack logic, or common sense, or a particular set of skills. Skills such as good on the phone, good at cheering people up etc can all be put to good use.

How about apprenticeships? Have you looked into anything about that?

Or a retail job. If you work in BHS, and inform management you wish to stay on for a long time in order to progress up to management levels then they will help you specifically do that with training etc. I have had a few friends do that and there are no doubt further examples in other stores.

You're calling someone who got 2 Bs at A-Level academically stupid?

Or did that just come out wrong?
It's invigorating to hear such anecdotes, but people such as your uncle possess what I don't: motivation. I know that sounds terribly selfish, given opportunities and what I lack is motivation, but it's more psychological than it is laziness.

The subject I'd have liked to study was History. I did it at A Level and I am studying Classics at home. I also have some experience in heritage and that sort of stuff, but it's not enough, sadly.

Regarding the work, I don't care what it is, but even things I hate I can't get. I've even put my name down to attend courses organised by the Job Centre to improve my CV, but nothing seems to help. Just stuck in a rut that I can't get out of on my own, and no other avenues to take.

Hehe funny you should mention motivation, I seem to recall him spending most of his Uni days playing the old version of call of duty. With regards to work, have you tried bombing your CV to as many places as possible in person? I'm not sure if you're looking for high street/supermarket shop work, but usually you would have some luck by doing it in person. Or if nothing transpires after you've worn that out, you could always consider volunteering, for example in a school to gain some experience that would be priceless for any type of uni/job applications. I would've recommended looking online for jobs and applying but I'm not sure how good job websites are, but you may have luck through the websites of stores like Waitrose, tesco, jd sports etc as I know some have job application sections of there website. And you could always try doing something out of the box, as you're off school now, you could perhaps try your hand at a part time side business to set up on your own, or something creative like that. What you do with the business is up to you, but I'm sure there's many a things you could do, even the simple buying and selling products for more model through local shops, or maybe even a service of some sort. History's a nice subject to take, and you'd have plenty of options when you graduate, though obviously not a great job guarantee but I see no reason why you cannot undertake an internship as you planned as your grades aren't really that bad at all. And then after your degree you could look through graduate recruitment, a sibling of mine taking English has a book full of grad recruiters. Really the world is open, and my advice would be to get yourself into something that forces you to be there, like for example an internship and is active rather than just pure academic learning for the time being, as I'm fairly certain that your current negativity is due to you not doing much at the moment (apologies if you do have anything going on outside of school/work life and this comes across offensive) and being in some sort of work, voluntary, internship, apprenticeship, part time, whatever, will help you out immensely. Regardless of what happens I do wish you the best as I hope everything will be fine you. And finally with regards to comparing yourself to people like you did with my uncle, doing so will only bring a person down as they do not know about what the other person's journey is about, so devaluating ourselves when each of us is amazing in our right is pointless.
You're not 'stupid', you can get into some universities with those grades, do a foundation degree, an apprenticeship, or get a full-time job and work your way up. You may have to do a boring job at first, but you'll gain experience and move onto something better. Just because you don't have excellent grades doesn't mean you can't do well in life :smile:.
Did terribly in my A Levels and only managed two Bs; GCSEs were atrocious with Bs and Cs and the one D.

I can't find even a simple job atm, is there no hope of ever getting a proper graduate job? Or not necessarily a 'graduate' job, but something that I won't be embarrassed to tell people about?

I'm too stupid to go to university, thus explaing the 'graduate' ininverted commas.

I just can't see any options for a future, and when I do I always find out about it too late.

I did even more badly than you when it comes to GCSE's and A-Levels.

GCSE's: CCDDDDDU
A-Levels: CCDE

If yours were atrocious, then what are mine?! lol.
I don't get why you think getting two Bs in A Levels is "terrible" - have you been brainwashed by TSR? Those are great grades! A lot of people I know and I myself didn't get nearly as good as that, so you should be proud of yourself. So you probably can't get into Oxbridge, but oh well, there's still plenty of options for you.

Sorry I can't advise you much since I'm in a similar boat too - it's so bloody hard to get a job, stupid economy! But keep researching all your options, online, on forums, even talk to a careers advisor if you like. Good luck whatever happens :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I don't get why you think getting two Bs in A Levels is "terrible" - have you been brainwashed by TSR? Those are great grades! A lot of people I know and I myself didn't get nearly as good as that, so you should be proud of yourself. So you probably can't get into Oxbridge, but oh well, there's still plenty of options for you.

Sorry I can't advise you much since I'm in a similar boat too - it's so bloody hard to get a job, stupid economy! But keep researching all your options, online, on forums, even talk to a careers advisor if you like. Good luck whatever happens :smile:

Not by TSR. Most of my friends all go to UCL, KCL and Oxbridge. When I opened my results I got two Bs (I was already ashamed of doing only two) and I was standing with my best friend who got AAA and her friend who got A*A*A*AA.
Not by TSR. Most of my friends all go to UCL, KCL and Oxbridge. When I opened my results I got two Bs (I was already ashamed of doing only two) and I was standing with my best friend who got AAA and her friend who got A*A*A*AA.

:console: I know what it's like, not doing as well as some other people, but you've got to try not to worry too much. Trust me, many people think B grades at A Level are pretty good. And anyway, aren't there still a lot of good unis who ask for at least B at A Level?
Reply 35
:console: I know what it's like, not doing as well as some other people, but you've got to try not to worry too much. Trust me, many people think B grades at A Level are pretty good. And anyway, aren't there still a lot of good unis who ask for at least B at A Level?

Well, you'd think, only being one grade beneath the sacred A, but apparently not. Certainly not two, anyway. I am trying to make the best of my situation. I do various voluntary work atm whilst desperately searching for a job, and I'm studying another A Level; problem is, I have little motivation, which sounds like a complete contradiction given what I've said. I never realised just how easy it is in school with teachers and being spoon-fed the info.
Well, you'd think, only being one grade beneath the sacred A, but apparently not. Certainly not two, anyway. I am trying to make the best of my situation. I do various voluntary work atm whilst desperately searching for a job, and I'm studying another A Level; problem is, I have little motivation, which sounds like a complete contradiction given what I've said. I never realised just how easy it is in school with teachers and being spoon-fed the info.

A lot of people are finding things difficult at the moment, me included, but there isn't a lot you can do but persevere. I hope things do work out for you in time :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by IcEmAn911
I did even more badly than you when it comes to GCSE's and A-Levels.

GCSE's: CCDDDDDU
A-Levels: CCDE

If yours were atrocious, then what are mine?! lol.

I'm sure you have many redeeming qualities, though, that more than compensate. :smile:
Reply 38
A lot of people are finding things difficult at the moment, me included, but there isn't a lot you can do but persevere. I hope things do work out for you in time :smile:

Thanks, but the future's not looking too rosy...
Thanks, but the future's not looking too rosy...

Aww, cheer up. You know what, whenever I feel like that, I like to read motivational things, or watch motivational videos, like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT4Fu-XDygw

Just because things are bleak now doesn't mean they will be forever! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending