The Student Room Group

Please help me sort myself out!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by emilymay
Haha, much rather be laughing with them than have them laughing at me! Its much easier if you treat things as a joke :tongue:

It is :yep: but if it ever gets your hand i totally have your back!
Dye your hair red!
Reply 22
Original post by Tara_Ward
You kind of answered this yourself. Go to the hairdressers and ask for layers or something and go shopping with your mates. Problem solved. :/

Not really! If you read the bits other than what you highlighted there are other unanswered questions! I've already got a few layers in but I want something different, and it's more the everyday style that I struggle with, rather than the actual cut. And I need advice about what to actually buy! A lot of my friends aren't too great at advice, it's more like 'yeah buy that' and that and that.... they won't get the fact that I'm trying to build a wardrobe rather than just buying pieces that I like!
Reply 23
Original post by TheSownRose
It'll make you feel good about yourself in loads of ways. :wink:

Spoiler

Haha, I think the hair thing could really work for me... but I reckon I kinda like my nose the way it is! The shoes are cool though, but I'm clumsy enough already, give me a couple of extra inches on them and I would fail epicly at walking :frown: lol

And I dunno about self esteem its more just I'm fed up, need a change, but just need advice on what I actually should change into! Its finding a style that suits me and that I feel comfortable in.
Reply 24
Original post by zoeaw
Buy some fashion magazines etc to see what kind of style you like/would suit you..?

I've tried that, I just don't know what would suit me :s-smilie: So I can look at stuff but I just don't know if its what I need!
Reply 25
Original post by TheSownRose
I'm not really a creep... :rolleyes:

I'm sure you're not! :smile: lol
Reply 26
Original post by dmz
Haha, was wondering why you didn't go anonymous!! tut tut, your picture on here too :tongue:, lets hope no-one see's it, if they do i'll have to knock them out for you :wink:

Hehe I know! :eek: And lol, you do that :biggrin: I well can't wait for September it's going to be awesome, and even better if I manage to sort myself out before then :wink: lol
I think you look fine :h:

..but I do wish you could come over and let me apply your make up, do your hair and dress you up :biggrin:...i miss doing all of that with some of my friends ( especailly the hair and make up bit)...You could maybe ask your friends to help you choose what to wear or buy...When one of my friends cant decide what to wear she'll bring both over and ask which looks better..and a lot of the times they'll have to try it on for me to decide :awesome: If you really cant do it yourself you should do that....and make sure you have a long mirroor where you can see the whole of yourself...you'll be able to tell if it looks good or not.

When you're shopping, always try things on even if you know it's the right size...I used to never try things on..until one of my friends made me try on every little thing..and I would've bought a lot of things that once i get home..dont look good on, and then end up going back to return it.

..and I agree with the mac make up...watch some vids to see the different ways you can wear them.

..also if you want a different hair style but dont have much time for curling...just curl the ends of your hair ...for a wavy look

I do think you look fine as you are, and dont really need all of that change.

Edit: In a bit of a rush right now..but i might write a little about the exercise bit..once i'm back :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
Hehe I know! :eek: And lol, you do that :biggrin: I well can't wait for September it's going to be awesome, and even better if I manage to sort myself out before then :wink: lol

SAME :biggrin::biggrin: hope i don't get STDs or worse.....a baby :lol:

you will :yep: and for the record, you were fine from what i saw :tongue:
Reply 29
A good, cheap place to start is TKMaxx but you will need ALOT of patience. Also (I'm not sure where else they do it) if you have money to spend and come into Topshop with a £100 gift card in London they assign you a person that picks out outfits for you brings you everything and it doesn't cost anything they assume that you will spend the £100 there though. After you have done this hit the shops and try to find similar styled cloth that the stylist in topshop picked out for you :smile:
Reply 30
Not really! If you read the bits other than what you highlighted there are other unanswered questions! I've already got a few layers in but I want something different, and it's more the everyday style that I struggle with, rather than the actual cut. And I need advice about what to actually buy! A lot of my friends aren't too great at advice, it's more like 'yeah buy that' and that and that.... they won't get the fact that I'm trying to build a wardrobe rather than just buying pieces that I like!

I think, with the best will in the world, you might be taking this a little too seriously. Shopping is meant to be fun, it normally doesn't require planning either. Why don't you go shopping one day and see what looks nice. Most people probably haven't got a meticulously planned wardrobe. If you're an hourglass go for empire lines and things that draw attention to your waist. wear larger prints/plain. But really we can't tell you what to wear it's really personal choice and what suits you/your skin tone etc.
Reply 31
Original post by secret_geek
But you can use the £50 to buy their products after haha so the lesson is technically free? I literally swear by MAC it's seriously amazing, makes you look amazing. You definitely get what you pay for.

Erm, let me find a youtube video about the scrunching. Okay I know she is so annoying but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLHcVeyd530 the type of curl after will depend on your natural hair / how much product you put in? haha. Yeah TXMAX I've picked up three pairs of hair curlers. Tight ones usually £220 got them for £15, toni and guy ones for £10 and nicky clarke for £10 and literally just as good...

http://www.tkmaxx.com/view-all-beauty/ultracurl-styler/invt/42086303/

they are usually like £30/40 quid but I highly recommend going into the shop :biggrin:

Yeah thats true and ok you've convinced me! I'm going to check out where the nearest place to me is and go down sometime and get it sorted!

That looks pretty good actually :smile: Although I lost count of how many times she said fun in that video :tongue: And yeah I reckon I'll pop in to the shop and see what they've got but otherwise those ones seem good :smile: Thanks so much for helping me!

xxx
Yeah thats true and ok you've convinced me! I'm going to check out where the nearest place to me is and go down sometime and get it sorted!

That looks pretty good actually :smile: Although I lost count of how many times she said fun in that video :tongue: And yeah I reckon I'll pop in to the shop and see what they've got but otherwise those ones seem good :smile: Thanks so much for helping me!

xxx

If you can't afford your whole makeup range to be mac - I will say it again :P I do think it proves to be cost effective considering how long it lasts. You do not need to use a lot at all. I would say definitely a foundation from there, nothing better than gorgeous glowing skin and an eyebrow pencil oh and a cheeky mascara (opulash) That's often all I wear... :smile: You just ring and make an appointment mine was in MAC in fenwick

- trying really hard to not do any work :P
Reply 33
Original post by When will I know?
I think you look fine :h:

..but I do wish you could come over and let me apply your make up, do your hair and dress you up :biggrin:...i miss doing all of that with some of my friends ( especailly the hair and make up bit)...You could maybe ask your friends to help you choose what to wear or buy...When one of my friends cant decide what to wear she'll bring both over and ask which looks better..and a lot of the times they'll have to try it on for me to decide :awesome: If you really cant do it yourself you should do that....and make sure you have a long mirroor where you can see the whole of yourself...you'll be able to tell if it looks good or not.

When you're shopping, always try things on even if you know it's the right size...I used to never try things on..until one of my friends made me try on every little thing..and I would've bought a lot of things that once i get home..dont look good on, and then end up going back to return it.

..and I agree with the mac make up...watch some vids to see the different ways you can wear them.

..also if you want a different hair style but dont have much time for curling...just curl the ends of your hair ...for a wavy look

I do think you look fine as you are, and dont really need all of that change.

Edit: In a bit of a rush right now..but i might write a little about the exercise bit..once i'm back :p:

Haha thanks! Aww that would be awesome! But my 2 closest friends, one of thems really not into that sort of stuff, and the other would love it but she doesn't really get what I like lol, and shes into photography and is always looking at it from that sort of out of the box perspective. Yeah I do tend to try stuff on a lot :tongue: I'm going to try this mac stuff, everyone whos mentioned it loves it! And curling the ends sounds like a good idea :smile: I'll give it a try sometime.

And ok then I hope you have fun wherever you've gone!
Reply 34
Original post by dmz
SAME :biggrin::biggrin: hope i don't get STDs or worse.....a baby :lol:

you will :yep: and for the record, you were fine from what i saw :tongue:

What? Where did that come from... oh, I'm talking to you :tongue: Scratch that question lol, I hope you don't get STD's or babies either! :tongue:

Aw thanks :smile: I just want a change!
x

Despite everything you say there, if that's you in your avatar then I think you're pretty attractive *shrugs*
Reply 36
Original post by Tara_Ward
I think, with the best will in the world, you might be taking this a little too seriously. Shopping is meant to be fun, it normally doesn't require planning either. Why don't you go shopping one day and see what looks nice. Most people probably haven't got a meticulously planned wardrobe. If you're an hourglass go for empire lines and things that draw attention to your waist. wear larger prints/plain. But really we can't tell you what to wear it's really personal choice and what suits you/your skin tone etc.

Haha maybe I am, it's just I am that fed up! Mostly with my clothes because I struggle to piece together outfits and clothes, and I never have any really finished off outfits, I'm always missing that 'something' from it. I don't like about 50% of whats in my wardrobe :s-smilie: And what I do have a lot of it is several years old and could do with replacing :frown: Yeah, I guess thats true, I'm just struggling so much trying to find stuff that suits me and that I like, I want to find 'my style', rather than just having a wardrobe full of random articles and bits and pieces that don't go together and I don't like.
Reply 37
Original post by Sashari
A good, cheap place to start is TKMaxx but you will need ALOT of patience. Also (I'm not sure where else they do it) if you have money to spend and come into Topshop with a £100 gift card in London they assign you a person that picks out outfits for you brings you everything and it doesn't cost anything they assume that you will spend the £100 there though. After you have done this hit the shops and try to find similar styled cloth that the stylist in topshop picked out for you :smile:

I really need to get down to TKMaxx lol :tongue: you're the second person on this thread to mention it! I'm so there next weekend :smile: And a stylist would be good, they'd be able to tell me exactly what would suit me! But I don't live anywhere near London :tongue: and I don't have £100 giftcard for topshop :frown: I don't often find anything I like in topshop either, I dunno why, maybe I should have another look some time
Reply 38
Original post by RabbitCFH
Dye your hair red!

Haha, I'm steering well clear of dyes I think, too expensive to maintain and things can go wrong so easily! Reds not really my colour + one of my best friends has red hair so it would be a bit of a SNAP moment :tongue:
Reply 39
Original post by Drunk Punx
Despite everything you say there, if that's you in your avatar then I think you're pretty attractive *shrugs*

Lol, thanks, that is me but its one of the few photos I actually look good in :tongue: My friend took it for her photography portfolio when we did a photoshoot and she let me have copies of all the pictures. I'm not bad looking I guess I just want to make a few changes, especially to my clothes.

Quick Reply

Latest