The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amandakelly
Thankyou, that is very reassuring! :smile: The thing is i do generally enjoy physics, it's just some parts of it that we have been covering recently in class(hmm electricty), that have put me off doing it for a level, as i genuinely doubt that i would be ablt to keep my self awake whilst somebody rambles about amps and volts(in more detail!) - However,you are now making me think again:smile: Plus,i think part of my boredom is due to my irritating teacher who just writes and writes on the board with out actually explaining anything! But he wont be teaching alevel, so there's more food for thought !:smile:
thanks again :smile:

Tbh in most subjects theres going to be parts of it that everyone hates and bores them to death as most people will probably confirm :tongue: I took physics last year (AS) and I really hated some of it, particularly as my teacher was a bit like yours by the sounds of things. it really didnt help when he explained things it was either so basic that it wasnt in enough detail that we needed to know, or set at such a high level no one understood :s-smilie: anyways, i think if you enjoy physics, dont let one bit put you off :smile: might find it more interesting at a-level never know :smile:
Original post by Quackers93

Tbh in most subjects theres going to be parts of it that everyone hates and bores them to death as most people will probably confirm :tongue: I took physics last year (AS) and I really hated some of it, particularly as my teacher was a bit like yours by the sounds of things. it really didnt help when he explained things it was either so basic that it wasnt in enough detail that we needed to know, or set at such a high level no one understood :s-smilie: anyways, i think if you enjoy physics, dont let one bit put you off :smile: might find it more interesting at a-level never know :smile:

yer i see your point there, thanks :smile: just out of interest,are there parts of chemistry andbiology that you hate? Because at the moment i really cannot see myself ever disliking them!- maybe i am just naive because i'm still only at gcse level, i don't know:smile:
yer i see your point there, thanks :smile: just out of interest,are there parts of chemistry andbiology that you hate? Because at the moment i really cannot see myself ever disliking them!- maybe i am just naive because i'm still only at gcse level, i don't know:smile:

I hate all the plants topics they have at AS level Biology, really like the rest though. As for chemistry some of the more theoretical bits like enthalpy really frustrate me. Most subjects have bits that annoy you, but hopefully they're only small/easy.

YES! lol there are definatly bits of both bio and chem that I hate. in chem theres just stupid little things that annoy me, especially when you dont need to understand it, your just expected to learn it though i am improving with that :tongue: there are bits that are really dull but its to be expected really. I generally like biology but hate all the plant topics - though saying that i dont mind photosynthesis (A2) I think i've now past all the interesting stuff, I'm onto the last exam and almost all topics are so boring, i think they put all the good stuff in first yr, and a few bits in second to make you want to do it, then bam! when you're too far into it they give you all the boring rubbish :l

Having said all that, I do actually like biology lol Thing about gcse is that it is so easy, well its not, but it is :tongue: at gcse you dont really need to understand it, just remember it. but when you get to a-levels you'll laugh at people who complain gcse is hard (although to be fair, it probably is due to age and stuff so maybe thats mean but meh :tongue:)

Original post by Normandy114
I hate all the plants topics they have at AS level Biology, really like the rest though. As for chemistry some of the more theoretical bits like enthalpy really frustrate me. Most subjects have bits that annoy you, but hopefully they're only small/easy.

I'm exact same! I really hate plants! I can see why some people would want/need to learn about them but Im guessing most potential medicines (or ones ive spoken to) all hate plants because they're so boring and you cant relate to it :/ Ah enthalpy! duno if you're first or second year, but we've done this born-haber cycle thing and i hate it! i cant get it because i get all confused with stupid lines - though i can generally do the maths of it if i set it out in my own way :tongue:

I'm exact same! I really hate plants! I can see why some people would want/need to learn about them but Im guessing most potential medicines (or ones ive spoken to) all hate plants because they're so boring and you cant relate to it :/ Ah enthalpy! duno if you're first or second year, but we've done this born-haber cycle thing and i hate it! i cant get it because i get all confused with stupid lines - though i can generally do the maths of it if i set it out in my own way :tongue:

Year 12, but I've finished AS. Born-Haber cycles are hell, especially seeing as I missed the lesson they were explained on. The A2 kinetics we're doing at the moment on rates of reaction are even worse, trying to draw curves of best fit / drawing tangents is so frustratingly hard! :s-smilie:
Year 12, but I've finished AS. Born-Haber cycles are hell, especially seeing as I missed the lesson they were explained on. The A2 kinetics we're doing at the moment on rates of reaction are even worse, trying to draw curves of best fit / drawing tangents is so frustratingly hard! :s-smilie:

Ah nice :smile: Ah i hated that to begin with but I've gotten my head round it no I think... though i should probably go check before it gets to major revision time and i realise i dont know it :tongue: I'm not a huge fan of equilibrium either but i'm getting there lol I really like pH because its just so nice and simple and just makes sense :smile: love it when that happens :biggrin:

YES! lol there are definatly bits of both bio and chem that I hate. in chem theres just stupid little things that annoy me, especially when you dont need to understand it, your just expected to learn it though i am improving with that :tongue: there are bits that are really dull but its to be expected really. I generally like biology but hate all the plant topics - though saying that i dont mind photosynthesis (A2) I think i've now past all the interesting stuff, I'm onto the last exam and almost all topics are so boring, i think they put all the good stuff in first yr, and a few bits in second to make you want to do it, then bam! when you're too far into it they give you all the boring rubbish :l

Having said all that, I do actually like biology lol Thing about gcse is that it is so easy, well its not, but it is :tongue: at gcse you dont really need to understand it, just remember it. but when you get to a-levels you'll laugh at people who complain gcse is hard (although to be fair, it probably is due to age and stuff so maybe thats mean but meh :tongue:)

haha-no, i think it's a fairpoint that gcse is easy:smile: that's why i cannot wait to do a level now because i just want to know how and why-gcse is really basic..:smile: but the plant stuff i am really not looking forward to-it just doesn't really interest me at all, but at the moment i'm just thnking about all of the good stuff!:smile:
haha-no, i think it's a fairpoint that gcse is easy:smile: that's why i cannot wait to do a level now because i just want to know how and why-gcse is really basic..:smile: but the plant stuff i am really not looking forward to-it just doesn't really interest me at all, but at the moment i'm just thnking about all of the good stuff!:smile:

Biology starts off with a lot of plant stuff, but towards the end of AS/A2 it's more human orientated. Also, you get lied to at chemistry GCSE, hence why A level can be confusing.

I wa ssame :smile: I got really bored at gcse because we weren't taught enough :tongue: its a good way to think :smile: if you dread the horrible bits you wont enjoy doing the good bits :rolleyes:
Reply 769
Question: what is the difference between anatomy and physiology?
Original post by cz100

I think anatomy is more the organs, cells, systems and the general structure etc. whereas physiology is more the chemical processes and biochemistry. :unsure:
Reply 771
Original post by NatatatATTACK
WOOO *high five* :smile: and yeah i do understand that it can be seen as pretty unfair and kind of unneseccary in that we can do it without it anyway :smile: but considering how hard it is to get in usually and with the uni fees going up to ridiculous amounts, we might aswell use every bit of help available to us :smile: and also with birminghams one, if you get the actual standard offer instead of the lower offer you get a scolarship for the fees, so thats the main reason im applying through it :biggrin:

Hahaa :smile: Yeah, I'm not sure I can apply for this scheme though, the only part that seems to apply is that I went to a bad high school... though I'm not sure even that would count now that I've moved for 6th form!

I HATE the plant bits as well!! I love human biology though :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by JChoudhry

Seems I might be right about the medics hate plants idea :tongue: good thing we all want to be medics and not plant-biologist peoples :tongue:
Original post by cz100

5 spaces
Reply 775
Original post by cz100

Anatomy refers to organs, structures, basically anything u can touch and see (their shape, structure color etc). Physiology refers to the way things function. From biochemistry, process that happen inside the cell and the electric activity of the neuron, to larger scales such as: organ systems (the relations and the way they function) etc. Anatomy is the Hardware... physiology is the Software :smile:
Reply 776
thanks for all the help guys
Original post by itsrayray:)
Hi:smile: What subjects are you studying?

Hi, I'm studying maths, chemistry, biology and history, how about you?
Reply 778
Ah nice :smile: Ah i hated that to begin with but I've gotten my head round it no I think... though i should probably go check before it gets to major revision time and i realise i dont know it :tongue: I'm not a huge fan of equilibrium either but i'm getting there lol I really like pH because its just so nice and simple and just makes sense :smile: love it when that happens :biggrin:

Awh I like equilibrium!

The bit I don't like about Chemistry is having to remember all the different mechanisms, as I understand them all just get confused which goes with which haha!
Original post by JChoudhry

hi five! :hi5:

Latest

Trending

Trending