The Student Room Group

Why is incest so taboo?

If having sex in public places is acceptable, if having one night stands isn't frowned upon and if interracial relationships are acceptable these days then why hasn't society learnt to accept that incest does happen and will continue happening? Why is it such a taboo topic?

Scroll to see replies

Did you do Biology at GCSE?
Original post by Dekota-XS
If having sex in public places is acceptable

Wait, wait, since when?

I heard you can goto jail for masturbating in public, never mind ****ing.
Incest between who, father and daughter? Brother and sister?

First cousins doesn't count as incest does it?
Reply 4
Having sex in public isnt acceptable. If it was then that bus driver wouldnt have thrown us off...
Reply 5
Alright, which family member are you screwing, OP?
<Insert biological reasons here>
<Insert religious reasons here>
<Insert "EWW, WTF YOU SICKO!" reasons here>

OP, if you want to shag a sibling/parent/cousin/etc. then you go for it. But it will never not be taboo.
Reply 7
Original post by secret_geek

I would definitely consider first cousins as incest.
Original post by Bektas
Wait, wait, since when?

"In the UK, there are laws against public sex but they mostly are concerned with protecting "unwilling witnesses" from seeing acts of lewdness. We're not sure how this would be applied to sex in front of willing witnesses."
Reply 9
Original post by Bektas
Wait, wait, since when?

When I say public places, I mean places like toilets inside clubs, inside a car etc.
Original post by secret_geek

I mean the latter mostly, between first cousins. Yes it is incest.
Original post by meenu89
I would definitely consider first cousins as incest.

So would I, but you can 'legally' marry your first cousins? So it's not 'incest' :s-smilie:
Reply 11
When organisms mate too closely within family lines, they tend to make it more likely that abnormal, recessive genes will be passed on to their offspring. This means that their children are more likely to be born deformed or with other genetic related problems. The longer the inbreeding goes, the more generations that are invovled, the worse the problem will get.

Common knowledge, if only you had bothered to pay attention in your science lesson instead of thinking about making love to your sister/mother.
Reply 12
Because it's disgusting, immoral, desparate and biologically wrong. Out of all the people in this world how desperate must you be to go for your own family? Knowing it can result in deformed children why would you want to risk it? Knowing you will be outcasted by society for it why would you want to?
You think the next logical step after normalizing interracial relationships is normalizing incest? Oh dear.
Think of it this way OP, if you happened to walk in on your father/ mother kissing or having sex with your sibling, how would you feel? Would you honestly have no problem with it?
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
You think the next logical step after normalizing interracial relationships is normalizing incest? Oh dear.

Your screen name is really quite fitting here isnt it.
Reply 16
Original post by mkb230
When organisms mate too closely within family lines, they tend to make it more likely that abnormal, recessive genes will be passed on to their offspring. This means that their children are more likely to be born deformed or with other genetic related problems. The longer the inbreeding goes, the more generations that are invovled, the worse the problem will get.

Common knowledge, if only you had bothered to pay attention in your science lesson instead of thinking about making love to your sister/mother.

Homosexuality is accepted in society, the couple cannot mate. Can't incessant couples do the same as homosexual couples and adopt a baby in the future if the desire of having a baby arises? I'm not talking about that kind of incest either. First cousin incest.
Reply 17
This takes MILF to another level :lolwut:
Reply 18
Original post by MovingOn
Because it's disgusting, immoral, desparate and biologically wrong. Out of all the people in this world how desperate must you be to go for your own family? Knowing it can result in deformed children why would you want to risk it? Knowing you will be outcasted by society for it why would you want to?

Let me make something clear. There exists cultures in which two first cousins are married together and it's seen as perfectly normal. It doesn't happen alot in western society but it does happen especially in asian cultures. The biological arguments can be overlooked the same way it's overlooked for homosexual couples.
Reply 19
When words aern't good enough for things like this....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending