The Student Room Group

Please help me sort myself out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emilymay
Haha, I'm steering well clear of dyes I think, too expensive to maintain and things can go wrong so easily! Reds not really my colour + one of my best friends has red hair so it would be a bit of a SNAP moment :tongue:

Boo, I wanted to make you go Hayley Williams. You're a pussy, I'm gonna dye my hair red soon. :p:
Reply 41
Haha maybe I am, it's just I am that fed up! Mostly with my clothes because I struggle to piece together outfits and clothes, and I never have any really finished off outfits, I'm always missing that 'something' from it. I don't like about 50% of whats in my wardrobe :s-smilie: And what I do have a lot of it is several years old and could do with replacing :frown: Yeah, I guess thats true, I'm just struggling so much trying to find stuff that suits me and that I like, I want to find 'my style', rather than just having a wardrobe full of random articles and bits and pieces that don't go together and I don't like.

Alright then, you could try something like this, should work for your shape. In terms of style you can teal it with a jacket and hi-tops for rock-ish thing, or with leggings/tights and a cardi, or on it's own in the summer. That dress should look good on almost anyone so it isn't very individualistic. Idk. :smile:

Spoiler

For the make-up problems you could try youtube tutorials
like:
http://www.youtube.com/user/beautycrush?blend=3&ob=4
http://www.youtube.com/user/michellephan?blend=1&ob=4
http://www.youtube.com/user/pixiwoo#p/u/9/Tzqwhs3qCWU
http://www.youtube.com/user/panacea81?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/3/y42rje4GgGA
http://www.youtube.com/user/shirleybeniang?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/20/AWzX0wdb2j0

These girls are ahh-mazing and helped me when I wanted to learn make-up.

For fashion and hair I wold say look at magazines and possibly fashion blogs to give you inspiration.
What kind of things do you like? I would say start with a good jean. In a dark wask blue and black. Do you like skinnys?

Also sheer tops are in at the moment so you could try that.PM if you need more help :smile:
Original post by RabbitCFH
Boo, I wanted to make you go Hayley Williams. You're a pussy, I'm gonna dye my hair red soon. :p:

Dooooo itttttt :awesome:

Lol, thanks, that is me but its one of the few photos I actually look good in :tongue: My friend took it for her photography portfolio when we did a photoshoot and she let me have copies of all the pictures. I'm not bad looking I guess I just want to make a few changes, especially to my clothes.

What sort of clothes can you see yourself in?
For example, are you a formal sort of person (someone who dresses formally most of the time) or a casual sort of person (opposite of the above)?
Do you prefer wearing trousers or dresses?

Think about basic questions like that, THEN focus on picking out specific clothes that you think you'd like to wear :smile:
Reply 44
I really need to get down to TKMaxx lol :tongue: you're the second person on this thread to mention it! I'm so there next weekend :smile: And a stylist would be good, they'd be able to tell me exactly what would suit me! But I don't live anywhere near London :tongue: and I don't have £100 giftcard for topshop :frown: I don't often find anything I like in topshop either, I dunno why, maybe I should have another look some time

I swear they do Taylor Swifty and just regular trend stuff. But TKMaxx has incredible stuff. Any size any style and very expensive brands! Although don't always believe their sizes it might say 8 but really it's 12 or something. I have stuff in my wardrobe which claim it's a size 3! and I'm a ten ;p

But you do need patience and don't expect to find something the first time you go there, it's important to get used to the way it's laid out. Also don't be afraid to get a massive trolley and load it with stuff to try on (I always do that) - you might end up buying only couple of things! Also pick up stuff that you usually wouldn't wear. Hmm... Ah, don't forget TKMaxx has everything! Jeans, tops, accessories, even shoes! So if you end up liking stuff that still might be a bit too pricey see if the plainer things you could pick up from cheaper places like Primark (do it all the time). Basically by going to TKMaxx you can completely find a brand new style, brand new you and it's all in one place. (I don't work there I'm just a fan)

Also never despair. I am convinced it is called WARdrobe for a reason!
Not really! If you read the bits other than what you highlighted there are other unanswered questions! I've already got a few layers in but I want something different, and it's more the everyday style that I struggle with, rather than the actual cut. And I need advice about what to actually buy! A lot of my friends aren't too great at advice, it's more like 'yeah buy that' and that and that.... they won't get the fact that I'm trying to build a wardrobe rather than just buying pieces that I like!

You are in dire need of a "sassy gay best friend".
Basically I want to make some changes to myself, I'm not happy with how I look or feel or dress and I want to improve it all! I'm 5'6 and 10.8, but I don't eat particularly unhealthily, I admit I have off days but everyone does! 2 years ago I was 11.2, and I got down to 10 stone, but since then I've kind of let it all go especially after breaking up with my boyfriend and have started putting the weight back on again, I plan to start going to the gym 3 times a week and start running 4 miles a week at home. I'm also going to start trying to monitor what I'm eating and try and work out where I'm going wrong, because I eat a fairly balanced and proportioned diet, although it is probably lacking a little in the fruit department, but I do eat enough vegetables to make up for this generally.

I've kind of got the hang of my make up now (I only started to really wear it about a year and a half ago and even then I didn't really do it very well, but I've found a good foundation, and generally when I go out in the day I wear this foundation, a bit of powder, dash of blusher, black eyeliner and mascara. When I'm going out for an evening I may add a bit of eyeshaddow but I don't really know how to 'do it up' in order to make it better for the evening/night.

I'm fed up with my hair and want a change, but I really love having it long, and don't really know what to do with it, I'd love to have it curled every day (quite loose big curls) But I simply don't have the time or a decent pair of curlers to be able to do this. Can anyone reccomend a decent daily hair style that would be easy to do while keeping my hair long?

And then we come to the big bit, the bit that made me write this thread in the first place. Wardrobe. I spent today sorting it all out, finding out what I have in there and getting rid of stuff I'm never going to wear. Problem is theres a lot of stuff I'm never going to wear and my clothes stock is greatly depleted by this. What I have left, a lot of it I'm not particularly keen on, or is a great item to have but I don't have anything to go with it. My problem is that I buy things in bits and pieces when I see something I like, rather than planning outfits and matching things. I want to find a style and I want to sort my wardrobe out, I need to basically buy a whole new wardrobe! I'm kind of hour glass at the moment, but I don't know whether this is because I'm carrying some weight on my hips as I have quite big shoulders (I used to swim competitively) and I'm wondering if when I lose weight my hips will lose some weight but my shoulders might stay quite big. I really love how Taylor Swift dresses but I just don't know how to sort my wardrobe out like that! And I don't know if her style would suit me. I have quite big boobs so if I buy things they have to go in under my boobs or they just drop straight down and make me look reallllly fat. So generally t shirts don't work for me :frown: but I have a couple of blousy style strappy tops that have a tie around the bra strap line so that it pulls in any excess material and doesn't add several inches to my stomach!

Can someone help me out? Basically I'm asking for a complete style make over! But I just don't know where to start or anything!

It sounds like you're on the right road with make-up. Have a look at some youtube channels for how to get a nice evening look; Julieg713 has some good ideas (although she mainly uses MAC which can be quite expensive).

As for your hair, have you thought about using rollers - they're much quicker and easier than curling each individual strand of hair, do much less damage and I find they hold longer as well. You could either sleep in big foam ones (you get having things on your head when you sleep!) or use heated rollers in the morning (it takes about 5 minutes to put them in and you only need them in for 10-15 minutes depending on how tight you want the curl, and you can be doing your make-up during that time). I find rollers give a really natural bounce in comparison to curling tongs, which, personally, look very fake.

As for your body and clothes. 10.8st isn't huge and you're tall so you can carry off an hourglass figure. If you lost weight, you'd probably still retain similar proportions - everything would just be a couple of inches smaller, that's all. :smile:

If you've got the money, then I suggest going out and trying to find a few outfits that match (and some stuff to go with what you've already got). A decent pair of jeans are a good idea because they go with almost any kind of top. As for style, if you like what Taylor Swift wears, I'm those sort of clothes aren't too difficult to find on the high street (or you could try ordering online if you have a debit card). But generally, you should just go out for a shop and buy what you like most of all, regardless of whether it's in Spring Vogue 2011 or not.
Original post by WeekendOffender

Agreed.
Reply 48
Original post by RabbitCFH

Haha she is awesome :smile: But nah I'm ok with my dark blonde for now :smile: If I did anything I'd go brunette I guess but atm it's alright. Post a pic when you've done it! Bet it'll look ace! :biggrin:
Original post by Drunk Punx

I'm planning to. I also want to dye it blue and purple at some point. :ahee:

Haha she is awesome :smile: But nah I'm ok with my dark blonde for now :smile: If I did anything I'd go brunette I guess but atm it's alright. Post a pic when you've done it! Bet it'll look ace! :biggrin:

It already looks ace, I have a mohawk. :biggrin: *showing off*

Maybe go for wavy hair or a stronger eyeliner?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by jessyfantastic90
For the make-up problems you could try youtube tutorials
like:
http://www.youtube.com/user/beautycrush?blend=3&ob=4
http://www.youtube.com/user/michellephan?blend=1&ob=4
http://www.youtube.com/user/pixiwoo#p/u/9/Tzqwhs3qCWU
http://www.youtube.com/user/panacea81?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/3/y42rje4GgGA
http://www.youtube.com/user/shirleybeniang?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/20/AWzX0wdb2j0

These girls are ahh-mazing and helped me when I wanted to learn make-up.

For fashion and hair I wold say look at magazines and possibly fashion blogs to give you inspiration.
What kind of things do you like? I would say start with a good jean. In a dark wask blue and black. Do you like skinnys?

Also sheer tops are in at the moment so you could try that.PM if you need more help :smile:

I'll have a look at those vids soon I'm sure they'll help! :biggrin: And hmm never looked at fashion blogs before, I'll check those out :smile: I've got a few pairs of jeans, got one pair of skinnys but I only wear them when I'm wearing a long style top, as I'm the wrong shape for skinnys and they make me look funny. Boot cut suits me more I guess. I really like skirts and dresses and pretty feminine things, but I never seem to be able to find anything when i go shopping. Sheer tops? What are those? I'll likely take you up on that at some point! :biggrin:
Reply 51
Original post by Drunk Punx

What sort of clothes can you see yourself in?
For example, are you a formal sort of person (someone who dresses formally most of the time) or a casual sort of person (opposite of the above)?
Do you prefer wearing trousers or dresses?

Think about basic questions like that, THEN focus on picking out specific clothes that you think you'd like to wear :smile:

I guess I'm a fan of pretty feminine things, especially like skirts and dresses, I guess I'm somewhere in the middle of formal and informal. I do wear jeans quite a bit but only because I don't have anything else in my wardrobe that I like atm. Right, so when I'm next shopping I'm looking for pretty, feminine skirts, dresses and blousy, strappy tops, and cardis. =)
Reply 52
Original post by Sashari
I swear they do Taylor Swifty and just regular trend stuff. But TKMaxx has incredible stuff. Any size any style and very expensive brands! Although don't always believe their sizes it might say 8 but really it's 12 or something. I have stuff in my wardrobe which claim it's a size 3! and I'm a ten ;p

But you do need patience and don't expect to find something the first time you go there, it's important to get used to the way it's laid out. Also don't be afraid to get a massive trolley and load it with stuff to try on (I always do that) - you might end up buying only couple of things! Also pick up stuff that you usually wouldn't wear. Hmm... Ah, don't forget TKMaxx has everything! Jeans, tops, accessories, even shoes! So if you end up liking stuff that still might be a bit too pricey see if the plainer things you could pick up from cheaper places like Primark (do it all the time). Basically by going to TKMaxx you can completely find a brand new style, brand new you and it's all in one place. (I don't work there I'm just a fan)

Also never despair. I am convinced it is called WARdrobe for a reason!

Haha I'll be careful to watch their sizes then! I can see how that would be beneficial, having everything in one place rather than trecking from shop to shop. I am going to fill 2 trolleys! :biggrin: They're going to hate me because I'm going to be taking everything off the rack and some poor persons going to have to put it all back on again! :tongue: I think thats a good idea, getting the more generic stuff from primark I mean.

I'm sure it is! Well this is me declaring War on my wardrobe :tongue:
Reply 53
Original post by WeekendOffender

Haha, I am! :frown: lol, maybe I'll find one at uni, but I want to sort this before I get there so he won't be needed on this situation if I do :tongue:
Reply 54
Haha I'll be careful to watch their sizes then! I can see how that would be beneficial, having everything in one place rather than trecking from shop to shop. I am going to fill 2 trolleys! :biggrin: They're going to hate me because I'm going to be taking everything off the rack and some poor persons going to have to put it all back on again! :tongue: I think thats a good idea, getting the more generic stuff from primark I mean.

I'm sure it is! Well this is me declaring War on my wardrobe :tongue:

Awesome! Good luck.
One bad thing about TKMaxx though - you can take only a certain number of things at a time (I think 6, not sure now), but you could always leave the trolley outside the changing rooms and keep going back and swapping stuff, they are fine with that :biggrin:
Reply 55
Original post by Rascacielos
It sounds like you're on the right road with make-up. Have a look at some youtube channels for how to get a nice evening look; Julieg713 has some good ideas (although she mainly uses MAC which can be quite expensive).

As for your hair, have you thought about using rollers - they're much quicker and easier than curling each individual strand of hair, do much less damage and I find they hold longer as well. You could either sleep in big foam ones (you get having things on your head when you sleep!) or use heated rollers in the morning (it takes about 5 minutes to put them in and you only need them in for 10-15 minutes depending on how tight you want the curl, and you can be doing your make-up during that time). I find rollers give a really natural bounce in comparison to curling tongs, which, personally, look very fake.

As for your body and clothes. 10.8st isn't huge and you're tall so you can carry off an hourglass figure. If you lost weight, you'd probably still retain similar proportions - everything would just be a couple of inches smaller, that's all. :smile:

If you've got the money, then I suggest going out and trying to find a few outfits that match (and some stuff to go with what you've already got). A decent pair of jeans are a good idea because they go with almost any kind of top. As for style, if you like what Taylor Swift wears, I'm those sort of clothes aren't too difficult to find on the high street (or you could try ordering online if you have a debit card). But generally, you should just go out for a shop and buy what you like most of all, regardless of whether it's in Spring Vogue 2011 or not.

A lot of people have reccomended MAC so I'm going to give one of their lessons a go I think, just as a one off, to find out what's best for me. In which case I'll probably check those videos out anyway for some other ideas. Rollers are a good idea, I have quite a lot of hair so curling takes me hours, literally! :tongue: I'd quite like the big loose curls so that it's looks quite natural and casual.

Yeah it's not huge but I'd love it to be a little smaller :tongue: Which is why I really need to find a diet regime, I reckon I'll do ok on the exercise, but I can't see what's wrong with what I eat already, so I think I'd be better off finding a completely different meal plan and scratching everything I normally eat off and starting from the beginning.

Yeah I think I need to go on a mega shop at some point, but I don't know whether to wait incase I lose weight and then all my clothes won't fit :s-smilie:
Reply 56
Original post by rangu2011
Hi Emily,

I'm not giving any particular tips, but a few that will help you sort out yourself.

You seem to be worrying over your "problem", and what you need to do is think constructively and not worry.

When people have problems like your, they expect others opinion (this is wrong and may mislead you). You as all are individual and have specific ways which will help you improve. If I ask you to buy Primark, you definitely can't.

Stop Worrying. Dont try to imitate others as this cause problems. The way other people are due to their genetics and the environment. You didn't grow up in their environment.

So if you try to be someone else, you may be doing something completely pointless. This lead to depression, stress, constant worrying, not being happy, blaming yourself and not self-appreciating.

I'm sure, this is the case with you, 101%.

There are 5 inch 1 people who are happy, and 6 inch 2 who are not.

Your personal attributes are not a problem as there are millions of people with problems like that.

You are not disabled, homeless, deaf, dumb or anything. You are lucky.

What you need is building your own plan.

The moment you think:

"Oh my god, how can I achieve all what I want, within the time I have" sort of things, you become stressed, fatigued and everything.

Look at the girls in the above pic, see how poor they are, see the happiness.

Any person can become happy,

But the thing with your case is that you dont lack anything. What you need is CAREFUL consideration on how to achieve this and be yourself.

Any person is best and the way a person can override all others is by being themselves. When a person rises to their maximum potential, others cannot beat him/her.

Problem with people like you is that, you dont do it. You try and be others. This = failure.

Once you become yourself, you will achieve all what you want. Remember at this age, we people get nuisance into our heads. The person who do his/her studies while having a good life is happy both at present and in future. Concentrate on your studies. Do a job that is money generating and develop good qualities (while being kind and loving yourself!), you will find happiness. And money is not related to happiness! but you need to survive.

Crack on mate, do what is comfortable for you, world is waiting

Um ok, I'll give it a go! I'm not trying to change who I am, just what I look like, because I'm unhappy with how I look already, so thats why I want to change it. I'll just go on a diet, do some exercise, experiment with some of the hairstyles the wonderful people of TSR have given me :smile: check out MAC make up and go mega shopping :biggrin:
Reply 57
Basically I want to make some changes to myself, I'm not happy with how I look or feel or dress and I want to improve it all! I'm 5'6 and 10.8, but I don't eat particularly unhealthily, I admit I have off days but everyone does! 2 years ago I was 11.2, and I got down to 10 stone, but since then I've kind of let it all go especially after breaking up with my boyfriend and have started putting the weight back on again, I plan to start going to the gym 3 times a week and start running 4 miles a week at home. I'm also going to start trying to monitor what I'm eating and try and work out where I'm going wrong, because I eat a fairly balanced and proportioned diet, although it is probably lacking a little in the fruit department, but I do eat enough vegetables to make up for this generally.

I've kind of got the hang of my make up now (I only started to really wear it about a year and a half ago and even then I didn't really do it very well, but I've found a good foundation, and generally when I go out in the day I wear this foundation, a bit of powder, dash of blusher, black eyeliner and mascara. When I'm going out for an evening I may add a bit of eyeshaddow but I don't really know how to 'do it up' in order to make it better for the evening/night.

I'm fed up with my hair and want a change, but I really love having it long, and don't really know what to do with it, I'd love to have it curled every day (quite loose big curls) But I simply don't have the time or a decent pair of curlers to be able to do this. Can anyone reccomend a decent daily hair style that would be easy to do while keeping my hair long?

And then we come to the big bit, the bit that made me write this thread in the first place. Wardrobe. I spent today sorting it all out, finding out what I have in there and getting rid of stuff I'm never going to wear. Problem is theres a lot of stuff I'm never going to wear and my clothes stock is greatly depleted by this. What I have left, a lot of it I'm not particularly keen on, or is a great item to have but I don't have anything to go with it. My problem is that I buy things in bits and pieces when I see something I like, rather than planning outfits and matching things. I want to find a style and I want to sort my wardrobe out, I need to basically buy a whole new wardrobe! I'm kind of hour glass at the moment, but I don't know whether this is because I'm carrying some weight on my hips as I have quite big shoulders (I used to swim competitively) and I'm wondering if when I lose weight my hips will lose some weight but my shoulders might stay quite big. I really love how Taylor Swift dresses but I just don't know how to sort my wardrobe out like that! And I don't know if her style would suit me. I have quite big boobs so if I buy things they have to go in under my boobs or they just drop straight down and make me look reallllly fat. So generally t shirts don't work for me :frown: but I have a couple of blousy style strappy tops that have a tie around the bra strap line so that it pulls in any excess material and doesn't add several inches to my stomach!

Can someone help me out? Basically I'm asking for a complete style make over! But I just don't know where to start or anything!

Okay, with the clothes, DON'T throw everything out. You said that you have lots of things that don't match anything else - start with those. Get the things you need to go with them, and when you're choosing them, think about how it would go with everything else you have :smile: And seriously, go charity shop shopping. If you're looking to get a whole new wardrobe, its going to be expensive, so check out charity shops first. There are often a few hidden jewels there that you'll be able to sort out with a nice belt or something. Same goes for the clothes you wouldn't want to wear again - can you modify it to make them better? Work off what you have already, because that will make it a lot easier :smile:

And for the hair - maybe layers? My hair flicks at the ends, so I got some layers in so that it flicks more, and looks like its a bit curlier because its not as heavy. A change of fringe always brightens up a hairstyle you're bored of :smile:

And btw, good for you for making the changes :biggrin: I wish I had your motivation :P
Reply 58
Original post by Sashari
Awesome! Good luck.
One bad thing about TKMaxx though - you can take only a certain number of things at a time (I think 6, not sure now), but you could always leave the trolley outside the changing rooms and keep going back and swapping stuff, they are fine with that :biggrin:

Oh right I'll do that then, :smile: I'll probably take someone with me so they can pass me stuff rather than having to keep getting changed to get new stuff out my trolley :tongue:
Reply 59
Oh right I'll do that then, :smile: I'll probably take someone with me so they can pass me stuff rather than having to keep getting changed to get new stuff out my trolley :tongue:

That way you can take 12 things (you take 6 and so do they :wink:)

Quick Reply

Latest