The Student Room Group

BSc Economics - UCL or LSE?

Just a few questions,
which of the aforementioned degrees garners more respect?
which has better career prospects?

Also, how does the two compare to Economics courses in Oxbridge, Edinburgh and Warwick?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh hi.

Another one of these threads. Wasn't expecting you quite so early.
Both are highly reputable. Neither will put you in a bad position against Oxbridge.

I personally think getting Economics degree from UCL and LSE is probably putting you in a better position than getting one from Edinburgh. They all are TOP unis, but within that categories, there are always the top of the tops. No comment on Warwick.

Also depends on what class you get at the end...
Reply 3
Original post by helpperman89
Just a few questions,

Also, how does the two compare to Economics courses in Oxbridge, Edinburgh and Warwick?

Both are equally respectable and command great career prospects! Definitely better than edinburgh and warwick.

Please do a search on the past threads if you require more info.
Reply 4
They both have very high respect but LSE will be better for career prospects, UCL wouldn't put you at a disadvantage but LSE might put you at an advantage
Reply 5
LSE all the way. Although that been said, I picked UCL over LSE because of the social side (or lack thereof) at LSE.
Reply 6
Original post by speedbird
LSE all the way. Although that been said, I picked UCL over LSE because of the social side (or lack thereof) at LSE.

Has to be said that UCL is a much more social uni than LSE
Reply 7
Original post by Zürich

Has to be said that UCL is a much more social uni than LSE

I know. That's why I applied to UCL.
LSE is very social actually...depends on you.
Original post by danny111
Oh hi.

Another one of these threads. Wasn't expecting you quite so early.

They usually follow a predictable pattern of development.
Page 1: people saying doesn't really matter, both are good
Page 2: somebody ventures an opinion that one is miles better than the other, someone from the other uni comes on and challenges them
Page 3: vigorous arguing about which course has more advanced mathematics and econometrics
Page 4: vigorous arguing about IB recruitment statistics showing that one anecdotal bank last year hired 25 from one and only 10 from the other
Page 5: one of the arguers gets fed up and says "Im not going to bother with you any more because you are clearly an imbecile"
Page 6: manchild appears and says both are crap, only US universities are any good
LSE.
Reply 11
Original post by MagicNMedicine

Page 6: manchild appears and says both are crap, only US universities are any good

:rofl3:

I may have just wet myself a little.
Reply 12
For Economics:

- Oxbridge/LSE

-UCL

Others
Original post by tateco
They both have very high respect but LSE will be better for career prospects, UCL wouldn't put you at a disadvantage but LSE might put you at an advantage

Is this based on your vast experience as an AS level student?
Reply 14
Original post by helpperman89
Just a few questions,

I would say LSE to be honest, going there and getting a economics degree means your definitley finishing with a top job, but UCL is very good as well but some firms may put lse ahead. And lse is probably the top uni for economics, only competition would cambridge.

But social life is dead , even i heard it from someone going there.
Reply 15
Original post by Milan.
you probably dont go to lse or have not been to lse
therefore you cant come to that conclusion...

Except that he has attended LSE...
Reply 16

Except that he has attended LSE...

oh
mybad
Reply 17
Original post by Milan.
oh
mybad

ah well, in 95% of cases it would be an accurate post.
Reply 18

ah well, in 95% of cases it would be an accurate post.

people jump to conclusions from what they read on TSR most of the time!
Reply 19
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Is this based on your vast experience as an AS level student?

Just repeating what everyone says every time someone feels the need to replicate these threads unnecessarily, when in each case they feel their situation is 'different'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending