The Student Room Group

What degree can I do with these grades?

I'm currently studying A2s, and will probably get an A/B in french, and a C in biology and chemistry. I know it's not great compared to what I got at gcse (8 A*s 2As) but I was never good at anything in particular, just average and worked hard. My exam technique is rubbish at a level and I can't seem to improve it, despite asking teachers for help. I know these are rubbish by TSR standards, but in all honesty, what is the best course and/or best uni I can get into with these grades and subjects? I would consider taking a 3rd year and resitting some, but I don't really think I would do better if I did.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LAW?
Reply 2
So your taking french and chemistry? I'm not quite familiar with the english grade/school system but surely you need more subjects than that? I apologise if I may offend,I honestly dont mean to,not understanding fully the english education system.
Original post by OddThings
So your taking french and chemistry? I'm not quite familiar with the english grade/school system but surely you need more subjects than that? I apologise if I may offend,I honestly dont mean to,not understanding fully the english education system.

In England 3 A-levels is normal, the OP said biology as well.

You seem to be doing best in french, have you considered a language course? The fact that your other subjects aren't really relevant wont help but at most Unis for a french course doesn't have any requirements other than french. Did you take another AS?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Basically anything you want.
French, Biology & Chemistry?

Where do your interests lie OP?

Go for something you know you're good at. You're seemingly good with language, so why so push for the A and get in to teaching?
Teaching English in France, teaching French in England.

I'm taking 3 subjects: french, biology and chemistry. Sorry if my post is a bit jumbled, I put I'll probably get an A/B in french, and Cs in both chemistry and in biology. :smile:
So I should get ACC or BCC.
Reply 6
Original post by Artemis 97
In England 3 A-levels is normal, the OP said biology as well.

Ah sorry,didnt read properly :colondollar: Are A-Levels the english equivalent to highers or advanced highers? Here,we need at least three or four highers at roughly B's or A's to go to university and sometimes two or three advanced highers at B's/C's.
Reply 7
Original post by Rainbow-Dream
I'm currently studying A2s, and will probably get an A/B in french, and a C in biology and chemistry. I know it's not great compared to what I got at gcse (8 A*s 2As) but I was never good at anything in particular, just average and worked hard. My exam technique is rubbish at a level and I can't seem to improve it, despite asking teachers for help. I know these are rubbish by TSR standards, but in all honesty, what is the best course and/or best uni I can get into with these grades and subjects? I would consider taking a 3rd year and resitting some, but I don't really think I would do better if I did.

You could try a foundation medicine course, but otherwise you can get into any degree at the crappy universities e.g. London Met, Westminister, LSBU, etc. But if you can convince ur teachers to give u a higher prediction and retake ur AS to improve ur overall results would be best and u may b able to get into Queen Mary, city, kent , royal holloway maybe :/
Reply 8
I'm taking 3 subjects: french, biology and chemistry. Sorry if my post is a bit jumbled, I put I'll probably get an A/B in french, and Cs in both chemistry and in biology. :smile:

Your post isnt jumbled,I'm just an idiot for not reading thoroughly :biggrin: You seem to be doing particuarly well in french,have you ever considered doing french at university,and perhaps adding another language while you are there? I'm studying german and want to continue it at university and perhaps add either Russian or Chinese.
Your post isnt jumbled,I'm just an idiot for not reading thoroughly :biggrin: You seem to be doing particuarly well in french,have you ever considered doing french at university,and perhaps adding another language while you are there? I'm studying german and want to continue it at university and perhaps add either Russian or Chinese.

I'm not really good at languages, but thanks. It's my mum's mother-tongue language and she will speak to me in french. Really I should be able to get an A* in it, but I'm no good at picking out the key points in a piece of textm and I can't structure an essay properly and I tend to understand better than I can write / speak the language. I was better at maths type subjects at gcse, when they were easy. I had teachers that would bend over backwards to help you do well. I'm not saying the college now isn't helpful, maybe I'm just not good at independent study, I don't know.
I think I probably will end up doing a languages course, probably combined with something else, just not sure what sort of unis I should be considering.
Reply 10
You could get into most non specific fields just not at a great university.
You could pretty much do any degree that's either sciences or languages but you won't be able to go to a bop uni, look at places that want ucas points rather than specific grades, try places like chester, de monfort ect
Ah sorry,didnt read properly :colondollar: Are A-Levels the english equivalent to highers or advanced highers? Here,we need at least three or four highers at roughly B's or A's to go to university and sometimes two or three advanced highers at B's/C's.

I think they are the same as advanced highers but I don't have too much experience of your system, only what i've picked up looking at unis.
Reply 13
Forensic Science
Biomedical Science
Pharmacy

anything related to medicine. Biology and Chemistry are mostly best for that and your grades are not too bad.
Reply 14

maybe look at some scottish universities, they tend to have lower entry requirements than english universities as to get into a lot of them Scottish candidates only need Highers (AS level equivalent) and not advanced highers (A2 equivalent) and so the first year of most scottish courses (other than obvious ones like medicine) is similar to the english A2 year in a way
Do you actually want to go to uni OP. From your post I wouldn't say it's for you. You have no real interests, so why bother going on to study at a higher level. And if you're exam technique at A level can't get you B grades I'm not sure how you'd would cope with the work at University it's a massive step up and if you don't have the passion for your subject you won't make it.

Have you considered what career you might like OP - maybe you'd be better thinking about where you want to go and how to get there - that way if you do end up on a degree course you'll have something to aim for, rather than just going because it's the 'done thing'.

I don't mean to sound harsh but I think you'd be better waiting until you know what you want to do rather than just going for the best thing at a the best place for your grades - it's not the way to choose a higher ed course
Original post by The_Goose
Do you actually want to go to uni OP. From your post I wouldn't say it's for you. You have no real interests, so why bother going on to study at a higher level. And if you're exam technique at A level can't get you B grades I'm not sure how you'd would cope with the work at University it's a massive step up and if you don't have the passion for your subject you won't make it.

Have you considered what career you might like OP - maybe you'd be better thinking about where you want to go and how to get there - that way if you do end up on a degree course you'll have something to aim for, rather than just going because it's the 'done thing'.

I don't mean to sound harsh but I think you'd be better waiting until you know what you want to do rather than just going for the best thing at a the best place for your grades - it's not the way to choose a higher ed course

I can see your point, but I think if I pick a slightly less academic course than the subjects I'm doing now, I will succeed. Biology and especially chemistry are known to be difficult subjects, so perhaps I did pick subjects that I was out of my depth taking, but if I leave education now, I will end up working for £6 an hour, struggling to pay my share of the rent, probably in shared accomodation.
University isn't just for those that are passionate about their course and academic in my opinion. It's only 3-4 years, so I don't mind getting through a course even if I'm not passionate about it. I want to be able to pay for a roof over my head firstly. If I work hard at my degree then I may well become passionate about it.
In a perfect world we would all study a degree we are passionate about, but in the real world, I'm not going to care whether I enjoyed my degree in 10 years time, as long as it gets me a reasonably well paid job.
Anyone know much about foundation courses at uni? Are they looked down on?
bump.. :erm:

Id do french if I was you.

Maybe go to a uni where you can do a beginner language. Do chinese/japanese/german. Thats were the employment is going to be...once the revolution takes place in China of course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending