The Student Room Group

Why are male comedians infinitely more funny than female comedians?

why is this? its not only me who thinks this. all my family think it and my friends do, which includes females too. the female comedians who are a bit funny are kind of manly as well and not good looking eg. Miranda and Jo Brand.

why are male comedians infinitely more funny than female comedians?

Scroll to see replies

i think miranda is actually pretty but i guess i'm not gay

i think there are a few good female comedians eg. jo brand, miranda, andi osho is alright, shappi corsandi

but there are loads of good male comedians, i cant even be bothered to start naming them. i think it's because guys are generally funnier than girls, maybe because in evolutionary terms guys have had to rely more on personality than looks whereas it's the other way round primarily for women (don't bother denying it, it's not a criticism)... that's just a guess though. most guys i know are funnier than the girls. i also think the really loud girls are usually kind of thick so aren't witty enough whereas there's lots of both loud and witty guys and loud and thick guys.
Reply 2
Shapi Korosandi is quite funny.

Jo Brand is so painfully unfunny it's unreal.

I think sometimes female comedians try to cater to a male audience and it comes accross forced and contrived.

But then again, it's not just comedians. Has anyone ever heard girls try to do banter, cringe.
cos men are more awesome :biggrin:

/thread
Reply 4
A loud and confident girl is told to shut up, stop being so 'arrogant' and calm down, or she'll never get a boyfriend; a loud and confident boy is encouraged, praised and seen as a 'lad'. While this is a generalisation, the traits that make most male comedians funny (confidence, going a bit too far, trusting in their own ability to make others laugh, charisma) are discouraged in girls from a young age.

Also, why are Miranda and Jo Brand any less women because they look 'manly' or aren't good-looking? A lot of male comedians aren't good-looking - Jesus, look at Frankie Boyle! - and yet they're hilarious; why should women have to be good-looking if they want to be taken seriously as female comedians?
Reply 5
I think there are just more famous male comedians. I don't find that my male friends are funnier than my female friends so I don't really agree with your sweeping generalisation. Also I'd say I'm pretty loud and I'm pretty clever, get As in exams etc... and in evolutionary terms it's all about relying on strength/health/intelligence for both genders, personality wouldn't have been important to neanderthals...

Basically because of people with opinions like yours it's a hell of a lot harder for women to make it in the comedy industry.
Reply 6
Because men can tell rape jokes...
Reply 7
Original post by keziah_X
I think there are just more famous male comedians. I don't find that my male friends are funnier than my female friends so I don't really agree with your sweeping generalisation. Also I'd say I'm pretty loud and I'm pretty clever, get As in exams etc... and in evolutionary terms it's all about relying on strength/health/intelligence for both genders, personality wouldn't have been important to neanderthals...

Basically because of people with opinions like yours it's a hell of a lot harder for women to make it in the comedy industry.

who mentioned anything about looks? A poor excuse to try and ignore the fact that many female comedians aren't funny.
Reply 8
Miranda <3333333
Reply 9
I don't think it's a difference between male and female comedians, I think Miranda, Jo Brand, Shapi and the like are just not funny.

There's also a psychological effect which makes people in general more receptive to guys being funny rather than girls.
This is probably because the predominant theme in any group of lads is banter, which is what we look for in comedians.
To all the people above me, the OP did not say there weren't any funny female comedians. There quite obviously are, but stating their name doesn't answer the question.

I would say that the simplest answer I can give is that more males want to get into comedy than females? Also, it has traditionally been a male thing, and so it it difficult for females to break through really.
Reply 11
Original post by rodcarter
who mentioned anything about looks? A poor excuse to try and ignore the fact that many female comedians aren't funny.

What? I didn't mention looks... someone else said that men rely on personality rather than looks and women are the other way around, it wasn't me who mentioned it... it's not even in my post :s-smilie: there's a lot of funny female comedians anyway, I love Sarah Silverman.
Reply 12
Original post by S129439
To all the people above me, the OP did not say there weren't any funny female comedians. There quite obviously are, but stating their name doesn't answer the question.

The thing is, I'm sure that there are some great female comedians, but I just haven't found them yet.
Reply 13
Because they're male?
OMG have you never heard of shappi korsandi? shes hilarious mate
Men are better than women in most things.

Sports, comedy, cooking, designing, building, inventing, conquering, governing, relaxing and so on.
Reply 16
Women aren't funny when they try to be. A lot of comedy is based on being made to feel or look stupid, or point out short comings in one's self or society. A lot of male comedians speak for the every day bloke and have jokes based on waist size, being bad at shopping, being bad at sex and being fat... kind of look at me I am an idiot pointing out the hilariousness of being average. That is kind of attractive in men as its anti-masculine and contradicts the typical image of masculinity. The males role in sexuality is to be strong and powerful, and those things don't work in standard comedy because they are observations of things that aren't quite right or are ironic which is what makes us laugh. It doesn't work for females on the whole because it is their sexual role to be mysterious, submissive and passive, and to be pursued by men and when they try to act the idiot they lose that in a way that a man doesn't lose their attractiveness when lowering his guard in a joke that pokes fun at his own misfortune.

Not to mention the fact that females comedians have really poor material in general. All they ever talk about is not putting out for a laugh, being a feminist, dumping her man and generally putting men down and highlighting sexual dominance which isn't funny or ironic in any way because its true. Even worse if they are black. Nothing worse than a black, female comedian. A funny female comedian would talk about their misfortune at being a woman and be vulgar about sex like a man is and talk about making sandwiches, sucking dick and their men falling asleep after sex. Generally degrading yourself and pointing out funny low points about yourself is a winning tactic in comedy and women just can't do that on stage. I know a few funny women who do this in conversation, but can't think of any actual comedians who have this sort of material. I find female comedy to be really empowering and "sisters are doing it for themselves" sort of thing, which is the opposite to male comedy in which males point out their sexual inferiority, which is of course where the laughs come from. No one laughs along to feminism, its a complete kill joy.
Reply 17
To be honest bringing up looks just makes you sound like an idiot...
John Bishop :sogood:
miranda is deeply unfunny

Quick Reply

Latest