The Student Room Group

Becoming a HCA in my gap year. Help please :)

I applied for medicine for 2011 entry, didnt get in but its still my passion to do medicine. I'm warming to the idea of a gap year now. I'm hoping on becoming a HCA in North Wales. I'd love to know what people thought of the application process, did they go into a nursing bank, what areas are you allowed into and do they allocate you a ward/unit etc. Thanks to anyone that can help answer these questions. :smile: :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know if the application process is different in Wales, but I applied to work on a specific ward and it was nurses from that ward that interviewed me etc.
If you want to be able to choose when you do shifts then you could do nurse bank, but then obviously you don't get your annual leave pay, and you'll be working on lots of different wards, so you won't be able to make friends with other HCAs/nurses easily, which could make it more lonely.
You can do pretty much any area, but they will specify if you need any experience/NVQ qualifications when you apply, so you can just avoid jobs that need things you don't have. When I applied it said that experience was preferable, but I didn't have any and got the job!
Hope this helps a little :h:
Reply 2
Original post by tikkitak
I don't know if the application process is different in Wales, but I applied to work on a specific ward and it was nurses from that ward that interviewed me etc.
If you want to be able to choose when you do shifts then you could do nurse bank, but then obviously you don't get your annual leave pay, and you'll be working on lots of different wards, so you won't be able to make friends with other HCAs/nurses easily, which could make it more lonely.
You can do pretty much any area, but they will specify if you need any experience/NVQ qualifications when you apply, so you can just avoid jobs that need things you don't have. When I applied it said that experience was preferable, but I didn't have any and got the job!
Hope this helps a little :h:

I phoned the nursing bank (i didnt realise there was a way to apply directly) and they told me to apply via nhs jobs. i would love to be able to choose where i can work, well it would be preferable. How long did you work as a HCA? and did you go onto med school?
Reply 3
Original post by JuJu23
I phoned the nursing bank (i didnt realise there was a way to apply directly) and they told me to apply via nhs jobs. i would love to be able to choose where i can work, well it would be preferable. How long did you work as a HCA? and did you go onto med school?

Yeah, it would be nice to choose where and when you can work, but at the same time, remember you'll be doing this for a while, so just be aware that you're unlikely to make new friends as a bank HCA. On my ward, I'm now good friends with the people I work with, and we go out on night out etc, which you would miss out on.
I've been working as a HCA for about one and half years now, and will be starting med school in September! Very excited :biggrin:
Reply 4
I'm a Clinical Support Worker with bank. I'm not sure if it differs from region to region, but it was an application form and a fairly informal group interview. They asked for two references, one being my school.

Generally the work isn't bad, you get to know the other staff after a while. You'll also decide which wards you like. Getting shifts can be an issue, there have been weeks where I've only managed to get one.
Reply 5
only worked in a care or nursing home but once you're used to it and comfortable it's quite good i think. Just be willing, even when it comes to cleaning crap, lol
Reply 6
Original post by tikkitak
Yeah, it would be nice to choose where and when you can work, but at the same time, remember you'll be doing this for a while, so just be aware that you're unlikely to make new friends as a bank HCA. On my ward, I'm now good friends with the people I work with, and we go out on night out etc, which you would miss out on.
I've been working as a HCA for about one and half years now, and will be starting med school in September! Very excited :biggrin:

Wow! That sounds my kinda gap year job :biggrin: i would much prefere to be on one ward. I shall have to phone up human resources and see what they say. If i dont get a medically related job i will be distraught! :frown: I think it would be a nice job to get experience and really see what hospitals are like on a long term (well a year) basis.
Where did you find out about the vacancy for the HCA? Which med school are you going to? And well done !! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by JuJu23
I applied for medicine for 2011 entry, didnt get in but its still my passion to do medicine. I'm warming to the idea of a gap year now. I'm hoping on becoming a HCA in North Wales. I'd love to know what people thought of the application process, did they go into a nursing bank, what areas are you allowed into and do they allocate you a ward/unit etc. Thanks to anyone that can help answer these questions. :smile: :smile:

I worked in a department during my gap year. I did not work on the bank.

Where you are allocated depends on what you apply for.

Are you applying for a specific vacancy on a specific ward or are you applying to be on the bank?

Bank shifts in my hospital are often on medical assessment unit, elderly care, stroke ward, general medical (respiratory or gastro), surgical wards. Sometimes there are shifts on A&E, ICU and if they are really desperate then gynae, theatres (rare).

To apply for jobs, go to the NHS jobs website or call HR of your local hospital.

And most HCA jobs involve lots of poop. (General exceptions include theatres, ICU, A&E etc)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Thracia
I'm a Clinical Support Worker with bank. I'm not sure if it differs from region to region, but it was an application form and a fairly informal group interview. They asked for two references, one being my school.

Generally the work isn't bad, you get to know the other staff after a while. You'll also decide which wards you like. Getting shifts can be an issue, there have been weeks where I've only managed to get one.

I would be worried about becoming a bank nurse because of the uncertainty of work :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by JuJu23
I would be worried about becoming a bank nurse because of the uncertainty of work :frown:

you can do bank alongside full time. You get your off duty for full time then give the bank your availability
Reply 10
Original post by No Future
I worked in a department during my gap year. I did not work on the bank.

Where you are allocated depends on what you apply for.

Are you applying for a specific vacancy on a specific ward or are you applying to be on the bank?

Bank shifts in my hospital are often on medical assessment unit, elderly care, stroke ward, general medical (respiratory or gastro), surgical wards. Sometimes there are shifts on A&E, ICU and if they are really desperate then gynae, theatres (rare).

To apply for jobs, go to the NHS jobs website or call HR of your local hospital.

Well i've looked on the NHS jobs website and there isnt anything in the whole of north wales on there for HCAs. But i got told the bank will be recruiting in April. I would rather not do bank, to me, correct me if i'm wrong, its a little uncertain and not secure to working a set amount of hours a week. I will call HR definately. From applying how long did it take you to start working? And did you train on the job? because i will be leaving sixth form in june and would like to start soon after.

Thanks
Reply 11
Original post by JuJu23
Wow! That sounds my kinda gap year job :biggrin: i would much prefere to be on one ward. I shall have to phone up human resources and see what they say. If i dont get a medically related job i will be distraught! :frown: I think it would be a nice job to get experience and really see what hospitals are like on a long term (well a year) basis.
Where did you find out about the vacancy for the HCA? Which med school are you going to? And well done !! :biggrin:

Yeah, its definately much better. You apply though NHS jobs. Just go on there and search for jobs in your area and apply to ones you like the look of!
Yeah, its not too bad a job really. It was really exciting and interesting for the first few months, as I was learning loads, but after about half a year, you do reach a point where it just feels like you're just doing the same thing every single day!
That said, I think I'll be so much better prepared for med school, as I have so much experience with talking to patients etc.
It really is great experience!

I'm probably going to Barts, but still have to make the final decision between there and Liverpool. Scary stuff!
Original post by JuJu23

It can be better than being permanent as you don't answer to a bitchy manager every shift and if you don't like the ward, you don't have to work there again and to some extent you can choose where you want to work.

It's also far more flexible, you can work when you want (e.g. choose the higher paid shifts) and as much or as little as you want. I've never had a problem with getting enough shifts, there's more than enough 9/10. I used to get texts pretty much every day asking people to work extra shifts.
Original post by JuJu23
Well i've looked on the NHS jobs website and there isnt anything in the whole of north wales on there for HCAs. But i got told the bank will be recruiting in April. I would rather not do bank, to me, correct me if i'm wrong, its a little uncertain and not secure to working a set amount of hours a week. I will call HR definately. From applying how long did it take you to start working? And did you train on the job? because i will be leaving sixth form in june and would like to start soon after.

Thanks

I do bank every uni holiday and it's honestly less stressful than when I worked only in one department. Plus I can choose when to work and get paid more as I work weekends/nights, whereas when I worked in one dept, I was given a rota and had no choice when I worked. There's no shortage of shifts and you can gain a lot more experience by working on different wards.

It might be daunting at first if you've never worked in a hospital, but it's not bad at all (apart from the bumwiping).

I delayed my start as I went on holiday so idk what's normal.

My hospital gives an induction course for new HCAs, but I never had any training (long story) and just learned as I went along.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
It can be better than being permanent as you don't answer to a bitchy manager every shift and if you don't like the ward, you don't have to work there again and to some extent you can choose where you want to work.

It's also far more flexible, you can work when you want (e.g. choose the higher paid shifts) and as much or as little as you want. I've never had a problem with getting enough shifts, there's more than enough 9/10. I used to get texts pretty much every day asking people to work extra shifts.

Wwwww that sounds good actually. personally i would love to get some work in A&E. I loved it there!
Reply 15
I do bank every uni holiday and it's honestly less stressful than when I worked only in one department. Plus I can choose when to work and get paid more as I work weekends/nights, whereas when I worked in one dept, I was given a rota and had no choice when I worked. There's no shortage of shifts and you can gain a lot more experience by working on different wards.

It might be daunting at first if you've never worked in a hospital, but it's not bad at all (apart from the bumwiping).

I delayed my start as I went on holiday so idk what's normal.

My hospital gives an induction course for new HCAs, but I never had any training (long story) and just learned as I went along.

As long as i have a glove i'm sure i can get used to the bum wiping :tongue: okay i think you've just sold the bank to me :biggrin:
Original post by JuJu23
As long as i have a glove i'm sure i can get used to the bum wiping :tongue: okay i think you've just sold the bank to me :biggrin:

Also, at least for me I work fewer hours and earn similar to my full time wage when I was on a rota on a single ward, because I work long weekends/nights and the hourly rate is higher. More pay for less work.
Reply 17
How do you apply to be a bank HCA?
Reply 18
Original post by ikoghoo
How do you apply to be a bank HCA?

My local district general hospital said they are going to put a post on NHS jobs in april for people wanting to become a bank nurse/HCA etc.
Reply 19
Original post by JuJu23

Admittedly, I do other stuff so there are a couple of shifts I can't do. The annoying thing is that I get offered shifts via text message that I'm not available for!

Bum-wiping is probably the most unpleasant thing you'll come across. Don't worry, some can do it for themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending