The Student Room Group

Afghan civilian killings by US 'kill teams'

whats everyone thinking about the whole news of the US kill team who have been going around and killing innocent civilians for their own fun in afghanistan?
I thinks its absoloutly disgusting and so immoral , im really suprised how not every single news paper is covering the story, why is it being kept so low profile? i didnt even know about it till i saw it on the afghan channel
just wnted to see what ppls thoughts are....

anone who wants to have a look at the news coverage can go on Der Spiegel newspaper and look at the full news
Reply 1
It's probably a good idea to keep this kind of thing low-profile. The more people that see it, the higher chance of revenge being taken by angry individuals on nato forces or western civilians, like it says in the article.
Reply 2
What the guy above said and. Well, really, what the **** do you expect?

You train a load of people who are quite often from questionable upbringing and of poor intelligence to be killers, and then send them into an environment where they are authorized to kill.

It's nothing new, and so long as we have wars it's going to happen.
Reply 3
Original post by Sam2424
It's probably a good idea to keep this kind of thing low-profile. The more people that see it, the higher chance of revenge being taken by angry individuals on nato forces or western civilians, like it says in the article.

This to an extent.

The soldiers on are trial anyway

One has been sentenced to 25 years and I am not sure about the others. Most likely more.
Reply 4
Original post by Rainbow_2010
whats everyone thinking about the whole news of the US kill team who have been going around and killing innocent civilians for their own fun in afghanistan?
I thinks its absoloutly disgusting and so immoral , im really suprised how not every single news paper is covering the story, why is it being kept so low profile? i didnt even know about it till i saw it on the afghan channel

anone who wants to have a look at the news coverage can go on Der Spiegel newspaper and look at the full news

Did they show it on Ariana news?

I would be surprised if ISAF allowed it.
I haven't been able to watch Afghan TV for a few days now.

And of course it is disgusting and immoral - they are American soldiers afterall.

Why would every newspaper be covering the story? It obviously does not work in NATO's interest if this story is shown across the world as it would undermine support for the war. NATO obviously does have a strategy for increasing support for the war as was was indicated by Wikileaks so it is no surprise that they would not like this to be widespread. Look at the story of that Afghan woman whose nose and ears were chopped off. That recieved so much coverage in the Western news and was capitalised by most US news channels as propaganda to boost support for the war.

But if an Afghan's fingers are chopped off and kept as trophies - well, hardly gets a mention in comparison.

The Western news gets its stories concerning such cases in Afghanistan through military sources - i.e. NATO sources so it is predictable that their news will be based on NATO's account on events. Look at this OP.

It is to be noted however that some Western news companies (like the Guardian) have reported this story but compared to the pro-war propaganda it is miniscule.

Also you are Afghan, right?
(edited 13 years ago)
Link please? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Rainbow_2010

The newspapers are more interested in 'help the heroes' and all that pro-war crap. They're too busy reporting on Libya like it's some sort of a game, as if real people aren't dying.
Original post by garethDT
The newspapers are more interested in 'help the heroes' and all that pro-war crap. They're too busy reporting on Libya like it's some sort of a game, as if real people aren't dying.

American citizens watching fox news thinks all the countries that hate america hate them and want to kill them

are they idiots?

What right do we have to touch the american people ? We aren't going to lower ourselves to the level of the AMERICAN GOVERNMENT (THE PEOPLE THE WORLD HATE)

Again and Again, America commits crimes and blames Iran, which has hardly even commited any....

seriously, when will the world open their eyes and see America's double standards?

There's a mod on tsr who goes banning anti-american politics posters, and anti zionist poster...

be careful,
Reply 10
This should be buried and not spoke about in the press. Deal with it internally and prosecute the offenders. We're playing the good guys in 99% of the time in the countries we go to, bad deeds like these don't reflect the good work we do so its unfair to release stuff like this. Anti-war folk would have a field day & use this to argue our entire military there is not justified.
Reply 11
Original post by peace2palestine
American citizens watching fox news thinks all the countries that hate america hate them and want to kill them
are they idiots?

What right do we have to touch the american people ? We aren't going to lower ourselves to the level of the AMERICAN GOVERNMENT (THE PEOPLE THE WORLD HATE)

Again and Again, America commits crimes and blames Iran, which has hardly even commited any....

seriously, when will the world open their eyes and see America's double standards?

be careful,

Iranian Bad Guy - Oh LOL its their leader!
You should meet this guy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FckLO8HcNyo&feature=player_embedded That is what that guy has done wrong. This guy has said repeatedly, and other influencial figures in Iran, that jews should be exterminated. You don't see Obama go on National TV and start talking about exterminating the muslim world. We go in to stop them killing themselves or killing entire nations - and you say Americans are stupid!? The very Americans you call stupid - the Fox news rabble - are the same ones who support such interventions in Libya.

It's all too easy to see America as the country everyone hates. Maybe a lot of people do, which is exactly why we invaded Afghanistan. We got attacked, re retalliated. Now our mission is to give people freedoms of voting and a better economy, not to mention diminishing radical groups influence in the country. I believe those are values are good, you, I and almost all people on earth think are good.

Think for a moment my friend about what would happen if the US military and coalition forces pulled out of the middle east. Israel would be completely isolated in that region, surrounded by governments who are nuclear armed and want to kill them. Thats WW3 my friend and you are ready to let that happen because some crazy soldiers killed a few civilians. Why don't you use your energy on here recommending ways to change the behaviour you see so bad from the US?
Reply 12
Original post by 00unity00
This should be buried and not spoke about in the press. Deal with it internally and prosecute the offenders.

Should we do that with all crimes? Or just war-crimes? You seem to talk alot about promoting democratic values yet it seems you want to limit what the press can report?

Now our mission is to give people freedoms of voting

If this is true then it is a useless war. The Americans are imposing those beliefs on the Afghan people. Karzai (America's puppet) is not wanted in Afghanistan and neither are the Americans (or the Taliban for that matter).

The 'freedom of voting' is useless because:

a) The Afghans rarely turn out to vote - Even when they are not threatened by the Taliban. Electoral turnout is low (for various reasons) - no matter what the West would love to think.

b) It is being imposed on them in a short period of time. They are not used to representative democracy so it will not be effective (see this post)

c) What is the point in voting if you know Karzai is going to win anyway? He obviously rigged the last election yet the Western powers hardly bat an eyelid. He enjoys much support from the West and his (and his family's) corruption is allowed to happen.

Seems awfully contradictory to me.

not to mention diminishing radical groups influence in the country.

Do you think the Taliban can be beaten? Troop surges have failed. Other tactics have failed. NATO has been there for almost 10 years and the Taliban are still going strong. They enjoy the safety of Pakistan and Bin Laden is still alive. The 'diminished influence' is only temporary. As soon as NATO leaves they'll be back again.

Taliban influence is still widespread across many parts of the country. Maybe not as much as before but for how long? Only as long as US troops are there. The locals even with their training by the US will not be able to fend off the Taliban. I mean look at the job the professionally trained/armed NATO troops are doing and imagine that being done by local armed peasants. So what do you propose? That NATO forces remain there permanently?

And they still do suicide bombings and beheadings etc throughout the country. Many Afghan translators/taxi drivers have been (and are being) beheaded because they work for NATO or anything simply related to the West.

Think for a moment my friend about what would happen if the US military and coalition forces pulled out of the middle east. Israel would be completely isolated in that region, surrounded by governments who are nuclear armed and want to kill them.

Which countries would these be? As far as I am aware Israel is the only nuclear power in the mid-east. In any case if those surrounding countries were to get nuclear weapons they would not use them against Israel because they would simply be obliterated. I do not think they are that stupid.

Not really looking for a debate concerning Israel - just making a point about your post.
Original post by Pukhtun
Should we do that with all crimes? Or just war-crimes? You seem to talk alot about promoting democratic values yet it seems you want to limit what the press can report?

If this is true then it is a useless war. The Americans are imposing those beliefs on the Afghan people. Karzai (America's puppet) is not wanted in Afghanistan and neither are the Americans (or the Taliban for that matter).

The 'freedom of voting' is useless because:

a) The Afghans rarely turn out to vote - Even when they are not threatened by the Taliban. Electoral turnout is low (for various reasons) - no matter what the West would love to think.

b) It is being imposed on them in a short period of time. They are not used to representative democracy so it will not be effective (see this post)

c) What is the point in voting if you know Karzai is going to win anyway? He obviously rigged the last election yet the Western powers hardly bat an eyelid. He enjoys much support from the West and his (and his family's) corruption is allowed to happen.

Seems awfully contradictory to me.

Do you think the Taliban can be beaten? Troop surges have failed. Other tactics have failed. NATO has been there for almost 10 years and the Taliban are still going strong. They enjoy the safety of Pakistan and Bin Laden is still alive. The 'diminished influence' is only temporary. As soon as NATO leaves they'll be back again.

Taliban influence is still widespread across many parts of the country. Maybe not as much as before but for how long? Only as long as US troops are there. The locals even with their training by the US will not be able to fend off the Taliban. I mean look at the job the professionally trained/armed NATO troops are doing and imagine that being done by local armed peasants. So what do you propose? That NATO forces remain there permanently?

And they still do suicide bombings and beheadings etc throughout the country. Many Afghan translators/taxi drivers have been (and are being) beheaded because they work for NATO or anything simply related to the West.

Which countries would these be? As far as I am aware Israel is the only nuclear power in the mid-east. In any case if those surrounding countries were to get nuclear weapons they would not use them against Israel because they would simply be obliterated. I do not think they are that stupid.

Not really looking for a debate concerning Israel - just making a point about your post.

Make no mistake, the US can easily obliterate the Taliban. Its just much harder to kill select targets, win the hearts and minds of the people and at the same time build a government.
Original post by -Invidious-

Make no mistake, the US can easily obliterate the Taliban. Its just much harder to kill select targets, win the hearts and minds of the people and at the same time build a government.

Not necessarily. A lot of the people working for the Taliban are doing it because they're paying them 3x the average wage. A lot of the people planting IEDs are young boys and people are joining/leaving all the time so it's not easy at all to obliterate them. If you killed all of them tomorrow it wouldn't necessarily remove the problem of the Taliban as someone could simply identify themselves as one and start it up again.
Original post by CombineHarvester
Not necessarily. A lot of the people working for the Taliban are doing it because they're paying them 3x the average wage. A lot of the people planting IEDs are young boys and people are joining/leaving all the time so it's not easy at all to obliterate them. If you killed all of them tomorrow it wouldn't necessarily remove the problem of the Taliban as someone could simply identify themselves as one and start it up again.

In theory America can wipe Afghanistan off the map and make it uninhabitable, if they were to use every weapon at their disposal without consideration for civilian casualties etc.

In theory America can wipe Afghanistan off the map and make it uninhabitable, if they were to use every weapon at their disposal without consideration for civilian casualties etc.

That's so ludicrous I'm surprised anyone would even entertain that idea.
Reply 17
Original post by Pukhtun

Original post by Pukhtun
Did they show it on Ariana news?

I would be surprised if ISAF allowed it.
I haven't been able to watch Afghan TV for a few days now.

And of course it is disgusting and immoral - they are American soldiers afterall.

Why would every newspaper be covering the story? It obviously does not work in NATO's interest if this story is shown across the world as it would undermine support for the war. NATO obviously does have a strategy for increasing support for the war as was was indicated by Wikileaks so it is no surprise that they would not like this to be widespread. Look at the story of that Afghan woman whose nose and ears were chopped off. That recieved so much coverage in the Western news and was capitalised by most US news channels as propaganda to boost support for the war.

But if an Afghan's fingers are chopped off and kept as trophies - well, hardly gets a mention in comparison.

The Western news gets its stories concerning such cases in Afghanistan through military sources - i.e. NATO sources so it is predictable that their news will be based on NATO's account on events. Look at this OP.

It is to be noted however that some Western news companies (like the Guardian) have reported this story but compared to the pro-war propaganda it is miniscule.

Also you are Afghan, right?

yeh i totally agree and i understand the whole thing about how this news is going to show the Americans in a bad light but it gets annoying about how when something happens in afghanistan which is not 'democratic' or agianst womens right then its all over the news and when they do something which is absoloutly disgusting then they try not to cover it on the news. And yes i am an afghan and i dint watch it on the ariana channel but my dad did and he told me about it, it just made a bit angry :frown:
Reply 18

This should be buried and not spoke about in the press. Deal with it internally and prosecute the offenders. We're playing the good guys in 99% of the time in the countries we go to, bad deeds like these don't reflect the good work we do so its unfair to release stuff like this. Anti-war folk would have a field day & use this to argue our entire military there is not justified.

I am not targeting the Americans and yeh they can do good and they are helping the Afghan army and thats why they are going to hand over most of the states into the hands of the afghan police force, all im saying is that it should be discussed on the news just as anything else would be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending