The Student Room Group

Do you think the term "No Homo" is homophobic?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mastermind007
No.

Homo.

:giggle:
Original post by penguin-
:giggle:

You found that funny? Wow, I'm so flattered, I was expected a lot of neg rep :mmm:
I guess it could be seen that way, but I think it's just a bit stupid :dontknow:
Who cares if you 'sound gay' when you make a statement about something really..
Reply 23
Original post by mevidek
well yeah, and so would most people. One of my best friends is Pakistani, and he doesn't care if you say Paki. Could I just ask are you gay or not?

I find that VERY hard to believe.
Reply 24
Original post by tehFrance
Source? or is it just something you pulled out of thin air?

no, I searched on the internet: http://gayteens.about.com/od/safetytips/a/no_homo.htm
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090914121040AAPmDeL
Sounds homophobic to me. The fact that it comes from rap shouldn't be at all surprising either, for some reason it's still acceptable to be sexist and homophobic in rap and not get censored on the radio - for shame.

I absolutley hate 'it's so gay' That it very clearly saying that something is worthless or inferior, aka gay. really homophobic.

It makes me very angry thinking about all the hard work our brothers and sisters have put in in the last 40 years fighting for gay rights. Don't let the next generation flush away all their hard work!!

When it's illegal to be gay again, thanks to the next super-religious right wing government, maybe they'll realise how important it was to fight this sh*t, not add to it.

I don't like it.

I say things like, "That's gay." but I don't take offense to it, because I said it and I know I'm a lesbian. But, when other people say it, it makes me a little nervous around them because I think they don't approve.

Yeah, definitely offensive! The word "no" in front of the term has the effect of neGAYting the term, hence it becomes offensive.

I've never heard it used before. No doubt it won't be long before it infiltrates British slang via means of US media.

If I heard someone use it then I'd probably stub my cigarette out on their forehead.

I agree. I don't like it when the word 'gay' is used as a synonym for 'stupid'. As in, "That's so gay".

It depends on the context... but i do think many people find it in offensive.

enough views?
Reply 25
I say it all the time,

by no means is it offensive. It's just a statement. Well two words actually.
Not at all. It's my prerogative that I don't want to be be associated with the perversion that is homosexuality and I will say no homo to let everyone know that I am not a pervert homosexual.
Reply 27
Original post by HarmanFan
I find that VERY hard to believe.

they would, I know from experience and I do not come from a racist area, in fact the opposite. So are you GAY OR NOT?
Reply 28
Personally I think it is kinda offensive, I mean as people have said it just implies that being 'homo' is a bad thing and so it must be explicitly stated that you arnt. I dont go around being like 'no hetero' etc so yeh =/. After saying that life is short and I dont really care if people say it, but it is offensive.
Reply 29
No Homo means not acting gay.

An example when No Homo will be used is, a guy saying to another guy you look kind of sexy 'no homo'. No Homo is also banter, dicing or LAD! in some circles.

But I wouldn't call is homophobic
Reply 30
"Everybody on my dick, no homo"
Reply 31
Original post by gunmetalpanda
Not at all. It's my prerogative that I don't want to be be associated with the perversion that is homosexuality and I will say no homo to let everyone know that I am not a pervert homosexual.

Don't breed.
Reply 32
I think it should theoretically be a bit offensive, it's like said before, why do we have to be so quick to remind people of our sexuality? That said, I've never found it offensive, but I accept it may be in some situations. Unnecessary to say, sometimes kinda funny depending upon the situation, but it really depends upon context I'm sure.
Original post by maths134
Don't breed.

You mad brah?
Reply 34
Original post by mevidek
they would, I know from experience and I do not come from a racist area, in fact the opposite. So are you GAY OR NOT?

All anecdotal, tbh.

And, why is that relevant?
Reply 35
I can see why it could be seen as offensive, but I don't find it to be so.
I've never heard it used outside of TSR though
Reply 36
Original post by gunmetalpanda
You mad brah?

It will make the world a better place :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by HarmanFan
All anecdotal, tbh.

And, why is that relevant?

Why is that relevant? Because if you were gay then it would be understandable that you find it so offensive, but if not then you are just pathetic.

So what are you?
I don't think it is homophobic lol.
personally I don't think it's in anyway offensive and whoever does needs to get over themselves a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending