The Student Room Group

Do you think a 2 week old baby is okay to be left alone with father for a weekend?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by cruciform
It is their Dad, what gives the mother more right to look after the baby than the father?

Last time I checked the mother carries the baby around in her womb for 9 months and it usually comes out of the mothers vagina. Only the father did was stick his penis in there.
You kidding? He's 2 weeks old and he's not working?
I blame the parents, ****ing wee scrounger claiming his dummies off hard working conservatives.
*Kidding, not a Tory. I tried to sign up and they wanted me to kick a puppy in the face as an initiation. I couldn't do, its face was so tiny. If only they'd given me a bigger target*
Back in Rome, I don't think the fact that the kid is 2 weeks makes much of a difference. If the Dad's a good guy then why not? If the Dad's a dick then tell him to sod off.
Reply 23
Original post by Cicerao
Erm...yes. The baby has **** eyesight anyway, probably doesn't know the difference. If the guy has manboobs, even better. (y)

I think you'd be shocked how well a baby can discern its mother from other people, and how well a mother can discern her baby among many others.

A mother's place is with the child when it's that young. Yes, the father should be there too, but 'other commitments' doesn't cut it at two weeks. There should be no higher commitment than to your child.
Reply 24
Original post by *pitseleh*
I don't think there's anything whatsoever wrong in leaving a two-week-old baby with it's father for a couple of days, but of course the baby knows the difference; one of the first things babies learn to recognise is their mother by her scent and sound.

...it's 2 weeks old, probably does not even remember the existence of the mother if she's not right there. We are not talking a developing 3 month old. It's 2 week old newborn who is not going to care other than the feeding aspect.
Reply 25
Original post by Tootles
I think you'd be shocked how well a baby can discern its mother from other people, and how well a mother can discern her baby among many others.

A mother's place is with the child when it's that young. Yes, the father should be there too, but 'other commitments' doesn't cut it at two weeks. There should be no higher commitment than to your child.

Thanks, but read above. Also negged for being a sexist ****wit.
Reply 26
I don't think the issue is leaving it with the father ( that could be a good thing as fathers can find it harder/take longer to bond so time alone could help this) but the fact that a mother would want to leave the baby in someone else's care. Most mothers can not bare to be away from the new born for even a couple of hours so it would seem weird to me.
Reply 27
Did your dad try and eat you when you were a baby? I can't think of any other reason why your mum would think that :s-smilie:
No.
No mother would want to leave their 2 week old for a whole weekend.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Breast feeding issues? :dontknow:
Reply 30
Sure. Why not? I think it is perfectly acceptable
Reply 31
Original post by swahmad
Breast feeding issues? :dontknow:

The mother (in this case OP) can express her milk. She does this by placing a suction cup to her breast which has a firm grip on the nipple,areola and mammary tissue. The cup is attached to a machine which almost pulls and yanks on her nipple. The milk is sucked out her breast into the machine. :fyi:
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
The mother (in this case OP) can express her milk. She does this by placing a suction cup to her breast which has a firm grip on the nipple,areola and mammary tissue. The cup is attached to a machine which almost pulls and yanks on her nipple. The milk is sucked out her breast into the machine. :fyi:

You're meant to wait until 6 weeks to avoid nipple confusion :fyi:
Reply 33
Original post by chemical_bex
You're meant to wait until 6 weeks to avoid nipple confusion :fyi:

:lolwut: Sorry. I don't have my own unfortunately. I had a mistake during fertilisation...... I am an XY baby...... I was supposed to be an XX Baby and hopefully get a try of the ol KY jelly.

If you know what I mean :smile: :sexface:
Original post by Cicerao
...it's 2 weeks old, probably does not even remember the existence of the mother if she's not right there. We are not talking a developing 3 month old. It's 2 week old newborn who is not going to care other than the feeding aspect.

Even at two weeks old, it will recognise its mother. You would be surprised.

I've worked as a nurse for a long time, and my mother-in-law is an ob/gyn consultant; I'm not just speculating here.
Reply 35
I don't see why a mother would want to part from her 2 week old baby when the baby is so young, but if for any reason she HAS to, why would the Dad be less able to look after the baby? If you've had a baby with a responsible guy who actually loves his kids and wants to be there then it wouldn't be a problem...
Original post by Jamie
As a doctor I would be concerned about the post natal health of this mother.

2 Weeks post birth she should still be all but clutching her baby and snarling at strangers from uber new mother hormones/instincts.

To be parted and left in someone elses care - even the father, for more than a few hours indicates poor bonding (possible early sign of post natal depression

That is literally such bull****, most mothers NEED/WANT a break to STOP them getting post natal depression.
Reply 37
Original post by senator88
Me and my mum are having a debate!
She thinks this is "ridiculous" as a baby should NOT be away from its mother when it is this young.. but, I think, if the baby is with their father (who is just as much a parent as the mother!) then what is the problem? (providing he is trustworthy, normal etc!)

Yes you are completely in the right. There are women who go back to work within two weeks for ****'s sake - admittedly a minority, but so what? A baby can be fed bottle milk and just needs to be looked after by someone reliable and caring. That can be the mother, the father, a relative, a friend or a nanny. Yes, mother-baby bonding is important, but one weekend is no loss at all.
Reply 38
Original post by im1190
I don't see why a mother would want to part from her 2 week old baby when the baby is so young, but if for any reason she HAS to, why would the Dad be less able to look after the baby? If you've had a baby with a responsible guy who actually loves his kids and wants to be there then it wouldn't be a problem...

Wow you are clearly a complete ****ing moron.

Babies cry constantly, need attention constantly. Just because you become a mother doesn't mean you stop needing to sleep, craving relaxation and having a life / wanting to see friends / wanting to do stuff. Everyone needs a break. It's completely understandable for a mother to want some time away. The rest of her life hasn't stopped.

Original post by Broderss
A good mother wouldn't be able to leave her baby with anyone for a weekend.

Original post by Tootles

Why? And what the hell gives you the right to judge mothers this way? If a mother has someone else reliable to leave the baby with, leaving it for a weekend either does no harm at all or will do such a minute amount of harm that it's not measurable or significent. It doesn't mean she loves the baby any less than a mother who stays with it constantly. It just means she has other priorities too and is trying to juggle everything in her life. Why the **** is it all her responsibility to look after the kid? - a baby has two parents, after all. And why should the rest of her life just stop for this baby when it will do absolutely fine without her for a couple of days? I'm not saying that mother-baby bonding isn't important, and obviously having a kid is a responsibility that involves personal sacrifices, but this doesn't mean the mother has to be there 24/7 and give up everything else in her life to devote every waking moment to looking after the baby.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by *pitseleh*
Even at two weeks old, it will recognise its mother. You would be surprised.

I've worked as a nurse for a long time, and my mother-in-law is an ob/gyn consultant; I'm not just speculating here.

Recognising when she is there and remembering she exists when she is not are two different things. A 2 week old baby has no concept of object (or people) permanence.

About 6/7 months old a baby would miss its mother because it realises she still exists when the baby can't see her. Until then, it's just mommies fooling themselves into thinking the baby misses them. In reality, it doesn't care a jot, because it doesn't remember her as ever existing! :]

Quite an interesting topic, research: object permanence in infants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending