The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Offers 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by roblee
That's a university ranking link, right?
What's your point?

(Once again, I'm loving all the Oxbridge applicants crawling out of the woodwork to validate their existences)

My link was to do with this:

Original post by roblee
Judging from the cases I've encountered, Cambridge are looking for good exam technique while Imperial are looking for subject aptitude.

NOOOO STOP NEGREPPING IT BURNS IT BURNS IT BURNS :rolleyes:
(although it does prove how many Oxbridge people are insecure enough to validate themselves by scanning internet forums for weakness)

Complete and utter rubbish. Exam technique, yeah right. Oxford and Cambridge have the most inclusive and fairest admissions policy in the country. Every form of support is there for you if your results have been damaged by poor circumstances, and the interview is there to sift through those purely good 'on paper' candidates versus those who have the necessary passion. That is subject aptitude.

I gave you the link to feed your ridiculous inferiority complex. Get over it, if I hadn't have gotten into Cambridge I wouldn't be filling my chosen university's board with anti-Oxbridge comments in the same way I don't enter other threads to take the piss out of their unis. Imperial is an incredible university, but stop trying to drag down Oxbridge.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 801
Original post by comrade_jon
I gave you the link to feed your ridiculous inferiority complex. Get over it, if I hadn't have gotten into Cambridge I wouldn't be filling my chosen university's board with anti-Oxbridge comments in the same way I don't enter other threads to take the piss out of their unis.

This is the Imperial forum :biggrin: does that not strike you as ironic? :lol:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by roblee
This is the Imperial forum :biggrin: does that not strike you as ironic? :lol:

Did I take the piss out of Imperial? I believe I even called it a wonderful university.
Reply 803
Original post by roblee
xxx

Every form of support is there for you if your results have been damaged by poor circumstances, and the interview is there to sift through those purely good 'on paper' candidates versus those who have the necessary passion. That is subject aptitude.

I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school... I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy...

:frown:

:p: Only kidding, but lets stop the negging heh?
Also, to Comrade Jon, I have passion for my subject, way beyond healthy recommendation :p: and I would say my interviews were quite unfair :frown: Oh well, stuff happens, luckily for me Imperial isnt too bad :p: (and by that I mean its awesome :awesome:)
Original post by F.I
I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school... I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy...

:frown:

:p: Only kidding, but lets stop the negging heh?
Also, to Comrade Jon, I have passion for my subject, way beyond healthy recommendation :p: and I would say my interviews were quite unfair :frown: Oh well, stuff happens, luckily for me Imperial isnt too bad :p: (and by that I mean its awesome :awesome:)

I pos repped you btw for your level-headed response, in case you thought I'm the negger. What you said was fair enough, just wish people like roblee would stop Oxbridge bashing for no real reason. I'm only a lowly historian, not good enough for the sciences, but if that was my thang I know that I'd love to go to Imperial.

Anyway, since this is indeed an Imperial offers thread I'll leave you be :smile:
Reply 805
I pos repped you btw for your level-headed response, in case you thought I'm the negger. What you said was fair enough, just wish people like roblee would stop Oxbridge bashing for no real reason. I'm only a lowly historian, not good enough for the sciences, but if that was my thang I know that I'd love to go to Imperial.

Anyway, since this is indeed an Imperial offers thread I'll leave you be :smile:

Nah, I know nibbler12 is my negger (:naughty: nibbler) :p:
Robin is not an Oxbridge basher, :nope: I don't he meant to cause offense

You are welcome here anytime, best of luck with everything! :h:
Original post by F.I
Nah, I know nibbler12 is my negger (:naughty: nibbler) :p:
Robin is not an Oxbridge basher, :nope: I don't he meant to cause offense

You are welcome here anytime, best of luck with everything! :h:

I negged because of co za asy tbh.
Reply 807
Original post by nibbler12
I negged because of co za asy tbh.

Oh really? :smug:

If so, why hate on Ray?
Although co za asy is a bit outdated now :unsure:
Original post by roblee
Judging from the cases I've encountered, Cambridge are looking for good exam technique while Imperial are looking for subject aptitude.

NOOOO STOP NEGREPPING IT BURNS IT BURNS IT BURNS :rolleyes:
(although it does prove how many Oxbridge people are insecure enough to validate themselves by scanning internet forums for weakness)

Neg hate much? :hugs: Pretty controversial thing to say though. I'm not taking sides.
Anywa I repped you to make you feel better :h:

Original post by TimmonaPortella
Judging from the cases I've encountered, Imperial are looking to ensure that their university remains eternally a huge sausage fest.

As much as I don't condone what roblee said, that's a pretty harsh thing to say. I am a girl and I'm going to Imperial. :dontknow:
Original post by F.I
Oh really? :smug:

If so, why hate on Ray?
Although co za asy is a bit outdated now :unsure:

Ray is cool, but co za asy was never every funny! Has to be said... :tongue:
I got really annoyed when everyone started posting it on random stuff because it's just not funny. That's right, that's how cool I am :rolleyes:
Reply 810
Original post by nikita_atikin
Neg hate much? :hugs: Pretty controversial thing to say though. I'm not taking sides.
Anywa I repped you to make you feel better :h:

As much as I don't condone what roblee said, that's a pretty harsh thing to say. I am a girl and I'm going to Imperial. :dontknow:

Yah, i did the same, I +rep him too, perhaps our reps combined neutralised the neg reps?

LOL, everyone seems to bring that up, even a Chemistry professor at UCL...

Him: "So where are you going"
Me: "Imperial"
Him: "But isn't it just filled with boys"
Me: "Isn't that a good thing" :colondollar: (Smoooth :rofl:)
Reply 811
Original post by nibbler12
Ray is cool, but co za asy was never every funny! Has to be said... :tongue:
I got really annoyed when everyone started posting it on random stuff because it's just not funny. That's right, that's how cool I am :rolleyes:

I thought it was funny (hence why I mentioned it in my sig :rolleyes:) especially the way he said it :rofl:

I guess its time to replace it....but with what....(the search begins)
Original post by flisshg
Me too :biggrin: Congrats!

It's quite annoying though as my email doesn't state the offer and because it's not on track yet I can't find out :s-smilie: Do you know what most people have been offered this year?

I just got my offer, which was a 5 on AP Calculus and 4s on everything else except U.S. Gov. In UK terms, that would be something like a ABBB.
Why are there random Cambridge offer-holders floating around on an Imperial thread stirring mayhem? :lolwut: Weird...

Original post by nikita_atikin
Wow that is rather shocking really!
One thing though, Imperial places a lot of emphasis on your extra curricular activities to see you've got more to you than your academia. And I remember reading somewhere on the Imperial website that they pay a lot of importance to a strong reference.
And apart from that, Mech Eng is ridiculously competitive anyway.

Really? Fair enough at my interview they gave the impression that they didn't care whatsoever about my ECs...

Those examples of people with predicted grades of 44 points or 5A*s getting rejected sound quite atypical. Imperial does have some atypically high entrance requirements (both Aeronautical and Chemical Engineering have gone up to A*A*A/A*AAA requirements, pretty sure the rest of Engineering will follow suit soon) even though other highly competitive courses aren't asking for such high grades, which would suggest that grades are extremely important to them rather than interview/PS/etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
Oh, I just discovered why you think Cambridge admissions aren't based on aptitude.

teehee.

Please refrain from just going "Oh lol you got rejected from my university!"- these kind of character attacks are very degrading for both parties. No selection process system is full-proof, even one as comprehensive as Cambridge's. Roblee comes across as far more intelligent and engaged with his subject than most of the people I know going to do CompSci at Cambridge, and yet some people seem to automatically assume he's inferior for being rejected from Cambridge. You can see where the defensive nature comes from.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by innerhollow
Please refrain from just going "Oh lol you got rejected from my university!"- these kind of character attacks are very degrading for both parties. No selection process system is full-proof, even one as comprehensive as Cambridge's. Roblee comes across as far more intelligent and engaged with his subject than most of the people I know going to do CompSci at Cambridge, and yet some people seem to automatically assume he's inferior for being rejected from Cambridge. You can see where the defensive nature comes from.

Yawn. Stupid post.

I'm not going to bother with it, tbh; I will, however, return your rep :smile:
Yawn. Stupid post.

I'm not going to bother with it, tbh; I will, however, return your rep :smile:

If my post was so "stupid" as you say, then you'd easily be able to write a counter-argument to illustrate its stupidity. As it stands, you have not done this, which casts doubt on your assertion that my post is worthless.
(edited 13 years ago)
If my post was so "stupid" as you say, then you'd easily be able to write a counter-argument to illustrate its stupidity. As it stands, you have not done this, which casts doubt on your assertion that my post is worthless.

You've made such stupid assertions that I don't know where to begin to address the post.

Re read what I said, look at the post in context of the angsty anti-Cam comments being made, and rethink.
You've made such stupid assertions that I don't know where to begin to address the post.

Why don't you point them out then?

It's very easy to keep saying that my arguments are "stupid", I could just as easily do the same, but there's no merit to doing so.

Re read what I said, look at the post in context of the angsty anti-Cam comments being made, and rethink.

Roblee's rejection from Cambridge is circumstantial. It may influence his views on the Cambridge admissions system, but it does absolutely nothing to prove whether his comments are right or wrong and to what extent, therefore bringing it up is pointless and ends up being simply degrading.
(edited 13 years ago)

It's very easy to keep saying that my arguments are "stupid"

You're right, it is :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending