The Student Room Group

FREEDOM Fighters

I burst out laughing when I heard BBC news refer to Libyan rebels as freedom fighters.
They are headed by ex-generals who saw an opening for a power play. If they win, we'll get a better deal from them than Qaddafi was able to offer but not much will change in terms of wealth redistribution.

So much publicity on blood diamonds, but what about blood oil?

People with the exact same objectives and tactics are referred to as insurgents in Iraq.
The Taliban in Afghanistan which now mostly consist of people who've lost relatives used to be called freedom fighters, which kind of makes you wonder of where this is all leading. What will the Libyan rebels be referred to as down the line.

The beeb has been a joke for a while now, as is most of the media, but the audacity never ceases to amaze and sicken.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
WHy would this be for oil. We already have oil contracts with Gadaffi (or at least private companies do the Uk gets very little oil from them)
Reply 2
Original post by Aj12
WHy would this be for oil. We already have oil contracts with Gadaffi (or at least private companies do the Uk gets very little oil from them)

yes we do, but very small contracts compared to what is possible under an accomodating regime.

China's presence and influence was growing stronger day by day, and a regime change now will almost certainly put a stop to that.

This decade has never been about west vs middle east but west vs east.

China's not showing it's hand now, but when it does, watch out!
Reply 3
Original post by justlol
yes we do, but very small contracts compared to what is possible under an accomodating regime.

China's presence and influence was growing stronger day by day, and a regime change now will almost certainly put a stop to that.

This decade has never been about west vs middle east but west vs east.

China's not showing it's hand now, but when it does, watch out!

China showed its hand a while back. They are using soft power to get deals and exploit natural resources in other countries. Mostly Africa. They build roads schools ect and get support that way. America went the other way installing dictators because they mostly wanted to check communism at least at first.
Reply 4
I've seen threads criticising the BBC for not calling the rebels freedom fighters and now heres a thread saying they shouldn't be called freedom fighters.

You just can't please TSR members. :frown:
Yeah, sure. There's absolutely no chance that these are simple ordinary folk who want basic freedoms and rights, they're all MURDEROUS ARABS WHO WANT NOTHING BUL OIL!!!111

:nothing:
Reply 6
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Yeah, sure. There's absolutely no chance that these are simple ordinary folk who want basic freedoms and rights, they're all MURDEROUS ARABS WHO WANT NOTHING BUL OIL!!!111

:nothing:

what? you SIR are an......
Reply 7
Original post by justlol
I burst out laughing when I heard BBC news refer to Libyan rebels as freedom fighters.
They are headed by ex-generals who saw an opening for a power play. If they win, we'll get a better deal from them than Qaddafi was able to offer but not much will change in terms of wealth redistribution.

So much publicity on blood diamonds, but what about blood oil?

People with the exact same objectives and tactics are referred to as insurgents in Iraq.
The Taliban in Afghanistan which now mostly consist of people who've lost relatives used to be called freedom fighters, which kind of makes you wonder of where this is all leading. What will the Libyan rebels be referred to as down the line.

The beeb has been a joke for a while now, as is most of the media, but the audacity never ceases to amaze and sicken.

The BBC don't even try to hide their bias any more, it's as if they think we're totally stupid. They just pass off what our government say as if it's common sense fact and then joke about how mad Gadaffi is. They never hold our government accountable.

I suggest you watch 'the war you don't see' by John Pilger on this subject.
Reply 8
Original post by garethDT
The BBC don't even try to hide their bias any more, it's as if they think we're totally stupid. They just pass off what our government say as if it's common sense fact and then joke about how mad Gadaffi is. They never hold our government accountable.

I suggest you watch 'the war you don't see' by John Pilger on this subject.

seen it.

it's about time the tv licence fee was abolished imo.
Reply 9
Original post by justlol
seen it.

it's about time the tv licence fee was abolished imo.

Just don't pay it. Nothing happens, they just send you angry letters telling you how you are 'under investigation'.
One mans freedom fighter is another mans....well you know.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Aj12

have you ever played chess, or Risk or a strategy computer game.

if you have then it should be obvious why it is good strategy to secure resources.

its for the future.
Original post by KJane
I've seen threads criticising the BBC for not calling the rebels freedom fighters and now heres a thread saying they shouldn't be called freedom fighters.

You just can't please TSR members. :frown:

they are freedom fighters,probably; the complaint is about the double standards.

the bbc "likes" these rebels, but the afghan tribesmen are evil terrorists who fight dirty by making bombs.
Reply 13
Original post by Aj12

You come out with this quote in every single thread about the Middle East. How many times do I have to explain to you that it's not as simple as just calculating the cost of the war, comparing it with the potential profit made from oil in one year and then just deciding your policy on that figure?

The middle east is all about oil, if it didn't have any then we would have left them all to it years ago, to suggest otherwise you're just embarrassing yourself.
Reply 14
Original post by robin22391
have you ever played chess, or Risk or a strategy computer game.

if you have then it should be obvious why it is good strategy to secure resources.

its for the future.

And until someone gives me any evidence I will not believe it. All of this is speculation
Original post by Aj12

And how much do you think we can get from a grateful government after our air support blasted the evil dictator and they come in to fill the gap?

Make no mistake this is not done for humanitarian reasons its done so we can get cheaper oil.
Reply 16
Original post by silverbolt
And how much do you think we can get from a grateful government after our air support blasted the evil dictator and they come in to fill the gap?

Make no mistake this is not done for humanitarian reasons its done so we can get cheaper oil.

So is that why Qatar the UAE Egypt Canada and Belgium are there. Because these nations are all known for nation building and stealing oil...

I will happily believe this was for oil when any deals are signed. But until then.
Original post by Aj12
So is that why Qatar the UAE Egypt Canada and Belgium are there. Because these nations are all known for nation building and stealing oil...

I will happily believe this was for oil when any deals are signed. But until then.

Are these countries that do not use oil in any way? Of course they do and they know that they can get more stuff out of these "rebels" and the government set up than they can out of the current regime
Reply 18
Original post by silverbolt
Are these countries that do not use oil in any way? Of course they do and they know that they can get more stuff out of these "rebels" and the government set up than they can out of the current regime

You mean Canada with the Worlds second (some put it at third) largest oil reserves in the world?

And Dubai with the worlds 6th largest reserves.

As well as the other countries that do import large amounts of oil from Libya. Why would they want to risk that, on a war that frankly is going badly for the rebels right now.
Original post by Aj12
You mean Canada with the Worlds second (some put it at third) largest oil reserves in the world?

And Dubai with the worlds 6th largest reserves.

As well as the other countries that do import large amounts of oil from Libya. Why would they want to risk that, on a war that frankly is going badly for the rebels right now.

The catholic church is a hugely wealthy organisation with more money than it needs. Why does it continue to take money of its parishoners? Greed.

Just becuase it has large amounts of oil reserves doesnt mean it wont take more if the oppurtunity arises.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending