The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tateco
Thanks for the reassurance :smile: I just have to keep reminding myself that this thread isn't the usual set of applicants...

Exactly. Since we are all TSR users, we have had the fortune of PaulWhy's excellent all-round advice, including picking A-level subjects.

If you can take up further maths at AS though, it would be very beneficial to your application I think.
Reply 181
I spoke to my maths teacher and it seems very likely I will be able to do Further maths AS, along with Chemistry, Economics and Maths A2. Hopefully it all goes well and I have a shot at either LSE or Cambridge
Reply 182
Original post by tateco
I spoke to my maths teacher and it seems very likely I will be able to do Further maths AS, along with Chemistry, Economics and Maths A2. Hopefully it all goes well and I have a shot at either LSE or Cambridge

What exam board are you doing Maths? By the sounds of it, you're determined to get into a top institution, so, if for some reason, your school can't fit it in your timetable, I'd suggest learning it yourself.

Completing Further Maths A2 is a different story, but the AS modules aren't hard. M1, S1, D1 are all equally difficult (or easy if you have an aptitude for maths) - I'd be happy to direct you to some learning tools if you needed.
Reply 183
Original post by Groat
What exam board are you doing Maths? By the sounds of it, you're determined to get into a top institution, so, if for some reason, your school can't fit it in your timetable, I'd suggest learning it yourself.

Completing Further Maths A2 is a different story, but the AS modules aren't hard. M1, S1, D1 are all equally difficult (or easy if you have an aptitude for maths) - I'd be happy to direct you to some learning tools if you needed.

I'm on OCR, If I can't fit it in I would be very tempted to teach myself, I'll let you know whether or not I'm able to do it in school soon and if I can't it would be great if you could point me in the right direction :smile:
Reply 184
Original post by Groat

The only way my FM AS is going to work is by doing FP1, FP3 and S2. WISH ME LUCK.
Reply 185
Original post by sqwerty
The only way my FM AS is going to work is by doing FP1, FP3 and S2. WISH ME LUCK.

Why's that? Surely you could take M2 or D2 instead of FP3? What modules are you using towards A2 Maths, then?
Reply 186
Original post by Groat
Why's that? Surely you could take M2 or D2 instead of FP3? What modules are you using towards A2 Maths, then?

C1234 S1 and D1. I can't do M2 because I won't have done M1 (I assume it helps) and I can't do D2 because nobody else is doing D2. Ahhhhh
Reply 187
Original post by sqwerty
C1234 S1 and D1. I can't do M2 because I won't have done M1 (I assume it helps) and I can't do D2 because nobody else is doing D2. Ahhhhh

You do realise M1 can be used instead, and I know people that have skipped M1, if that helps.

FP1, M1 and S2 would be a fine combination!
Reply 188
Original post by Groat
You do realise M1 can be used instead, and I know people that have skipped M1, if that helps.

That would be very similar to what we do in our school. We don't get any choices though which I suppose is another pro for self-studying it should it become necessary
Reply 189
Original post by tateco
That would be very similar to what we do in our school. We don't get any choices though which I suppose is another pro for self-studying it should it become necessary

The only choice I get is between FP3, M3, S3 and D2. Therefore I will have taken (by June 2012):

C1

C2

C3

C4

M1

M2

S1

S2

S3

D1

FP1

FP2

Should be fun!
Reply 190
Original post by Groat
The only choice I get is between FP3, M3, S3 and D2. Therefore I will have taken (by June 2012):

C1

C2

C3

C4

M1

M2

S1

S2

S3

D1

FP1

FP2

Should be fun!

If I go on to take the full FM A-level instead of just the AS I'll have done the ones in bold as well as: M3 and FP3
Reply 191
Original post by Groat

What's wrong with FP3? I assume it's difficult but someone has to do it. I know a lot of people struggling with M1 at the moment. And if I done FP3 I'd be taught it rather than M1 self studying
Reply 192
Hi could someone give me some advice on what to do next year to get into a good uni for economics
My AS levels are Maths,Economics,Accounting and Psychology and I am hoping to get all As
Should I drop psychology at A2 or keep all 4
(I was planning on picking up the extended project as I hear this is very respected by Unis)
Thanks
x
Original post by Wooah
Hi could someone give me some advice on what to do next year to get into a good uni for economics
My AS levels are Maths,Economics,Accounting and Psychology and I am hoping to get all As
(I was planning on picking up the extended project as I hear this is very respected by Unis)
Thanks
x

If your college offers it, I would recommend taking further maths to AS. This helps massively because many of the top universities like to see that you can demonstrate good mathematical skills. :smile:
Reply 194
Original post by sqwerty
What's wrong with FP3? I assume it's difficult but someone has to do it. I know a lot of people struggling with M1 at the moment. And if I done FP3 I'd be taught it rather than M1 self studying

Well, you haven't mentioned FP2, so I assume you'd find FP3 pretty difficult. Of course there's nothing wrong with FP3 as a choice, but the effort to learn M1 is incredibly less than the advanced theory required for FP3.

Also, I don't see the point in doing an A2 module to achieve an AS in Further Mathematics. In fact, I'm not even sure that you could get an AS using FP1 and FP3 - I believe you need two applied modules. I've checked and you can use FP3, as well as FP1, for AS; however, I still believe it's foolish taking the hardest module in FP3.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 195
Original post by Wooah
Thanks
x

As Jamie said taking further maths would be very beneficial, also Accounting is considered a soft subject so if there is no chance of taking up further maths in your second year then I recommend you keep all four to A2 if you think you can handle it :smile:

Other than that just read a lot of news and try and interpret economic stories and read lots of economics-related books
Original post by jamiepango
Was anyone else in the economics lecture where all the lights kept trning off? :P
I thought the open day was quite informative, and I didn't know about the gathered field that they do for oxbridge applicants...

Yes I was there. What did everyone think of LSE and that talk?
Original post by WalkerPrince
Yes I was there. What did everyone think of LSE and that talk?

Frankly, I hated it. Can't imagine enjoying myself there and I didn't really like the course. Obviously there will be maths in economics but they pretty much do 2 years with the majority of emphasis on maths with 1 year of economics. It's basically Maths with Economics although I do wonder what that course is like at LSE :colonhash:

Even a few of their students said they wish it was more of the 3rd year. I won't be applying there anyway but now I need another uni of that calibre to apply to =/
Reply 198
Original post by Psychotic546
Frankly, I hated it. Can't imagine enjoying myself there and I didn't really like the course. Obviously there will be maths in economics but they pretty much do 2 years with the majority of emphasis on maths with 1 year of economics. It's basically Maths with Economics although I do wonder what that course is like at LSE :colonhash:

Even a few of their students said they wish it was more of the 3rd year. I won't be applying there anyway but now I need another uni of that calibre to apply to =/

Was there that much focus on maths? :s-smilie: I know maths is important for economics but I really enjoy learning about economic theory too... not sure if it will be for me, but I'll have to wait for the open day on 29th of June I guess
Reply 199
Me :biggrin:
UCL is the dream

Latest

Trending

Trending