The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anything plain, crackers, more toast etc. Lots of water too. I think its mostly trial and error when it comes to sick person food.
Reply 2
After you're sure you're on the mend, go for some dry toast. Sounds horrible but you need to get sustainance without eating something that could potentially make you sick again.

Lots of lemonade with salt helps as well to rehydrate you.
Reply 3
toast, redy brek with a bit of sugar, maybe some porridge again with some sugar...

always used to make me better after throwing up [=
Reply 4
Original post by PonchoKid
toast, redy brek with a bit of sugar, maybe some porridge again with some sugar...

always used to make me better after throwing up [=

I can't eat porridge, the texture makes me retch.
Reply 5
Original post by 22KT22
I can't eat porridge, the texture makes me retch.

try redy brek then.
when i was ill (used to be sick usually on a weekly baisis when little) id ALWAYS ask my mum to make me redy brek a few hours after, and if i could keep that down i might have upgraded to toast, and so on...
Plain crackers, dry toast and flat lemonade with sugar :p:
Yum.

(That's just what my GP told me to have a few weeks ago when I was sick)
I agree.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Dry toast, soup and sugary lemonade. I also spent yesterday vomming my guts up. Weird 24 bug thing but I feel fine now :|
Actually, if you've vomitted you should eat banana as it contains a lot of potassium, an electrolyte lost in vomit (hey i learnt something from my nursing course!)
Lots of jelly, it's mostly just sugar and water. Thus if you throw it back up at least it comes up easier than scratchy lumpy bits of toast.
Plain rice cakes are good =]
Toast and Marmite always makes me feel better - the marmite is full of vitamins.
Jelly is a good one too. Hope you feel better OP!
I had a bug last month that had me throwing up for days, I couldn't even drink water one day :frown: I nearly had to be hospitalised. It took me a while to get back onto normal food again, but I found toast or scrambled egg on toast to be a good start. As said above jelly would be good as I found it hard to eat toast after mine, my throat felt like it had been burnt away :frown: Maybe try Angel Delight or rice pudding if you can handle milk. Soup as well, depending on if you still feel like getting sick a bit. I had those Actimel probiotic yoghurt drinks as well as my tummy wasn't good for weeks and well, to put it bluntly, the rest of my digestive system wasn't too good either. Peppermint tea can be nice and settling too.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Sprockette
I had a bug last month that had me throwing up for days, I couldn't even drink water one day :frown: I nearly had to be hospitalised. It took me a while to get back onto normal food again, but I found toast or scrambled egg on toast to be a good start. As said above jelly would be good as I found it hard to eat toast after mine, my throat felt like it had been burnt away :frown: Maybe try Angel Delight or rice pudding if you can handle milk. Soup as well, depending on if you still feel like getting sick a bit. I had those Actimel probiotic yoghurt drinks as well as my tummy wasn't good for weeks and well, to put it bluntly, the rest of my digestive system wasn't too good either. Peppermint tea can be nice and settling too.

Thanks... I'm trying a plain jacket potato as I've managed to keep toast down this morning and yesterday night which considering yesterday morning I couldn't keep water down is definitely an improvement!
Plain rice too...
As people have said, dried toast is always good after being sick =) Also a fizzy drink e.g. coke or lemonade is supposed to help to!
kebab chilli sauce mmmm any times good for a kebab
Fluids, electrolytes and salt are essential and simple carbs where possible low in soluble fibre. About an hour later complex carbs will assist you retain fluids.
Reply 19
I was always told to stick to dry foods after being sick, things which don't have a strong flavour. Dry toast is the best thing, or maybe crackers. Stay away from foods containing milk/dairy. The most important thing is fluids - ginger beer is great if you're feeling nauseous. Or anything fizzy usually works for me.

Latest