The Student Room Group

Another rejection :(

So i've just got another rejection. Got rejected by RBS, PWC, goldman sachs, jp morgan, barclays, and loads of other places :eek: - oh and i also got rejected from adhoc stuff like data admin, admin, reception, supermarket jobs. Am I not fit to work or something? No idea why i'm being rejected so much :frown:....anyone else been rejected again and again? It's like failing an exam - that same sort of feeling every time a rejection comes in. It's kind of driving me crazy :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by blue_shift86

So i've just got another rejection. Got rejected by RBS, PWC, goldman sachs, jp morgan, barclays, and loads of other places :eek: - oh and i also got rejected from adhoc stuff like data admin, admin, reception, supermarket jobs. Am I not fit to work or something? No idea why i'm being rejected so much :frown:....anyone else been rejected again and again? It's like failing an exam - that same sort of feeling every time a rejection comes in. It's kind of driving me crazy :s-smilie:

Rejected for all mine.
Except L'oreal, who specifically said "this is not a rejection" and that they'd run out of places! I don't believe that for a second, it was clearly a rejection. It's a bummer when the applications take so long. Then I apply for part-time jobs such as in a shop and get told I'm too qualified cos by the time I start I'll have a degree...

It's frustrating!
Reply 2
Original post by moody_bum
Rejected for all mine.
Except L'oreal, who specifically said "this is not a rejection" and that they'd run out of places! I don't believe that for a second, it was clearly a rejection. It's a bummer when the applications take so long. Then I apply for part-time jobs such as in a shop and get told I'm too qualified cos by the time I start I'll have a degree...

It's frustrating!

I get the same responses. I'm too qualified for normal jobs like admin etc and i've no experience for professional jobs. Proper lame!
Reply 3
i've never ever heard of part-time jobs saying the reason why they can't take you on is because you're over qualified :s-smilie: ....
There is a recession at the moment. There are massive job cuts. There are not enough jobs to go around. Lots of people apply for one post. Several meet the criteria. Some people might exceed it. Only one person can get the job. This leaves several perfectly adequate people without a job. You might have an awesome CV, but lots of others have them too. Or maybe it's an obnoxious 'I'm better than this' attitude that is putting employers off.
Reply 5
Original post by jus-mi
i've never ever heard of part-time jobs saying the reason why they can't take you on is because you're over qualified :s-smilie: ....

There isn't much of an incentive to hire people with for example a degree in a job that requires the skills equivalent of a high school leaver.

It's cheaper to hire a 16 year old in terms of wages, plus a few months down the line they wont have to fork out extra money to hire and retrain a replacement for the graduate who has since found either a graduate scheme or entry level job in their chosen profession.
Reply 6
Original post by ExcessNeo

Original post by ExcessNeo
There isn't much of an incentive to hire people with for example a degree in a job that requires the skills equivalent of a high school leaver.

It's cheaper to hire a 16 year old in terms of wages, plus a few months down the line they wont have to fork out extra money to hire and retrain a replacement for the graduate who has since found either a graduate scheme or entry level job in their chosen profession.

One shop and a hotel told me exactly that. They know that as a graduate I'm not going to want to stay in a part-time job forever.
Reply 7
I just had a phone interview with RMS. Lady said i got from 700 applicants through to the last 15 :eek: - hope i get the job - it sounds dreamy - catastrophe modelling :colondollar:
Join the club!!
This is just not on. Why apply to places in which you clearly wont get a place. Apply within your means.
Reply 10
but part-time employers have high staff turnover anyway students go of to uni/college etc etc...so thats not an excuse >>> (that graduates would find another job and move on)
Whatever Trevor. I'm ALWAYS right.
Ah, I'm the same, OP. And I don't even have a degree or good A Levels like you do OP :eek2: :s-smilie: :sigh:

I will probably just give up for now until college has finished.
Reply 13
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Ah, I'm the same, OP. And I don't even have a degree or good A Levels like you do OP :eek2: :s-smilie: :sigh:

I will probably just give up for now until college has finished.

awww don't sweat it. I'm the perfect example of how a person with good exam results doesn't make a difference in the current job market. It's all about showing enthusiasm, passing these lame arse numeracy tests and having experience! You'll probably get a job before I do cherry
How many oil companies have you applied to?
awww don't sweat it. I'm the perfect example of how a person with good exam results doesn't make a difference in the current job market. It's all about showing enthusiasm, passing these lame arse numeracy tests and having experience! You'll probably get a job before I do cherry

Thanks. Good luck to you too. I've read quite a bit about your troubles on this forum, and it's so sad and unfair to see decent people in this sort of situation. Hope something works out eventually :smile:

What do you do these days anyway? Volunteering? Training course? More studying? If not, those are some things you could maybe consider :yep:
This happened to my brother, the 'buzzword' with job applications is experience: experience experience experience, so if you haven't worked before you're going to find it more difficult (catch 22). What i would suggest is to do some volunteering or get involved with some event organizing at your school/college/uni/whatever, i think the only reason i got my job so easily is because i've done loads of unpaid work in the past, that's my best suggestion. If you have all these things there may be a problem with your CV/interview technique. CV's need to be fact based, no waffle, interviews are a game, my dad is always interviewing and the best way to answer a question is in the STAR format that is situation, task, action, result, (what the situation was, what you had to do in the situation, what role you took and what the outcome of this situation was) hope this helps a bit, don't give up, the sooner you get a job, the sooner it will be easy for you to get another one, even if you were working part time at tesco you would be more appealing to another employer
omg. how much of a loser is someone who cant even get a grad job?
Reply 18
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Thanks. Good luck to you too. I've read quite a bit about your troubles on this forum, and it's so sad and unfair to see decent people in this sort of situation. Hope something works out eventually :smile:

What do you do these days anyway? Volunteering? Training course? More studying? If not, those are some things you could maybe consider :yep:

I went to my favourite chinese restaurant today, then rock climbing, then to the museum of london and then to swiss cottage library but it was full of smelly old men who were hogging all the decent newspapers so i came home and played internet checkers! :wink: - in t he morning i had a 1/2 hour phone interview before i did all the above :smile:

What about you? What's your story? :smile:
Reply 19

Proofread your resume. This sounds like you are missing something/doing something wrong in the very basic things. I am not a troll.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending