The Student Room Group

What do we mean by the following in organic chemistry?

In organic chemistry, I came along the following notes:

Homologous series of alkanes
Alkanes are saturated organic compounds
Homologous series of alkenes
Alkenes are unsaturated organic compounds

Can you just describe the bold-italic words?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Organic chemistry? Isn't that biology.
Reply 2
Original post by SWEngineer
In organic chemistry, I came along the following notes:

Homologous series of alkanes
Alkanes are saturated organic compounds
Homologous series of alkenes
Alkenes are unsaturated organic compounds

Can you just describe the bold-italic words?

Thanks.

1) Homologous series - they are analogous to functional groups, ie what characterises a particular organic compound family

2) saturated - single bonds between C-C

3) unsaturated - opposite of saturated, more than a single bond between C-C, ie double in alkenes, triple in alkynes

NB, you mention C-C because all C-H has to be single bonds due to H only having one electron to share in covalent bond
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homology_%28chemistry%29

Saturated - no double bonds, single bonds

Unsaturated - double bonds
Homologous series - A series of organic compounds with the same functionaly group, but with each successive member differing by CH2.

Saturated - Single bonds in the hydrocarbon chain only.

Unsaturated - A hydrocarbon containing at least one C=C double bond.

Alkanes are saturated as they have single C-C and C-H bonds only.

Alkenes are unsaturated as they have at least one C=C double bond in the chain.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by lattywatty
Homologous series - A series of organic compounds with the same functionaly group, but with each successive member differing by CH2.

Not necessarily a C-C double bond, alkynes (with a C-C triple bond) are also unsaturated.
Original post by Stefan1991

Organic chemistry =/= biology
Reply 7
Original post by Stefan1991

No, this is organic chemistry.
Reply 8
Original post by shengoc
1) Homologous series - they are analogous to functional groups, ie what characterises a particular organic compound family

2) saturated - single bonds between C-C

3) unsaturated - opposite of saturated, more than a single bond between C-C, ie double in alkenes, triple in alkynes

NB, you mention C-C because all C-H has to be single bonds due to H only having one electron to share in covalent bond

Thanks for your reply.

But, what is exactly meant by "saturated"? What made alkanes "saturated" and alkenes "unsaturated". The numbering of bonds is clear in both cases, but the case of "saturation" is not.
Reply 9

Thanks for your reply.

What do you mean by ...successive member differing by CH2.

And, can you just explain "saturation" in a bit more detail?
Thanks for your reply.

What do you mean by ...successive member differing by CH2.

And, can you just explain "saturation" in a bit more detail?

By that I mean that the chain is increased by one carbon atom attached to two hydrogen atoms each time. E.g. butane differs from propane by CH2, and hexene differs from pentene by CH2.

Saturation is defined as: soaked, impregnated, or imbued thoroughly; charged thoroughly or completely; brought to a state of saturation.

So if you think about it, if each carbon atom has four bonds to other atoms, it has reached the maximum number of atoms it can have attached to it (as carbon has four electrons on its outer shell). This means it is saturated.

However, if there is a double bond then it may only be attached to three atoms therefore it is not fully saturated as more atoms can still be added to the atom before it reaches its maximum.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
By that I mean that the chain is increased by one carbon atom attached to two hydrogen atoms each time. E.g. butane differs from propane by CH2, and hexene differs from pentene by CH2.

Saturation is defined as: soaked, impregnated, or imbued thoroughly; charged thoroughly or completely; brought to a state of saturation.

So if you think about it, if each carbon atom has four bonds to other atoms, it has reached the maximum number of atoms it can have attached to it (as carbon has four electrons on its outer shell). This means it is saturated.

However, if there is a double bond then it may only be attached to three atoms therefore it is not fully saturated as more atoms can still be added to the atom before it reaches its maximum.

Thanks again so much.

Just a small thing. Can you just give me an example of how alkanes are saturated and alkenes are unsaturated? Just to understand it better.
Thanks again so much.

Just a small thing. Can you just give me an example of how alkanes are saturated and alkenes are unsaturated? Just to understand it better.

saturated means no multiple bonds. So alkanes are saturated.

alkenes, alkynes have mutliple bonds and so are unsaturated
Reply 13
Thanks again so much.

saturated - single C-C bonds, difficult to functionalise, ie can't do electrophilic addition of HBr

unsaturated - multiple bonds between C-C, easy functionalisation, ie can do electrophilic addition, that is can still add across the multiple bonds till the C-C gets saturated

hope that example clarifies the idea
Reply 14
Original post by shengoc
saturated - single C-C bonds, difficult to functionalise, ie can't do electrophilic addition of HBr

unsaturated - multiple bonds between C-C, easy functionalisation, ie can do electrophilic addition, that is can still add across the multiple bonds till the C-C gets saturated

hope that example clarifies the idea

Is tere a simpler example that shows how is this shown in the alkanes and alkenes organic compounds (i.e; methane, methene)?
Reply 15
Is tere a simpler example that shows how is this shown in the alkanes and alkenes organic compounds (i.e; methane, methene)?

you cannot get "methene", as that would violate that C-H must be single bonds.
simplest alkene is ethene, 2 carbons where you can have double bonds between C-C

are you sure you understand bonding?

how could you have methene? Methane only has one carbon!

(saturation/unsaturation refers to carbon to carbon bonds, hence the simplest compound that can be unsaturated is one with two carbons, ethene)
Reply 17
Original post by shengoc
you cannot get "methene", as that would violate that C-H must be single bonds.
simplest alkene is ethene, 2 carbons where you can have double bonds between C-C

are you sure you understand bonding?

Yes, I understand bonding, but seems I mentioned "methene" without paying attention to the existence of at least two carbons where the double bonds will be between.
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes, I understand bonding, but seems I mentioned "methene" without paying attention to the existence of at least two carbons where the double bonds will be between.

there is something called methylene, though (:CH2) but it's a diradical and you really don't want to worry about that! :no:
Reply 19
Original post by CitizensUnited
Organic chemistry =/= biology

No, this is organic chemistry.

Fair enough, but what is the difference?

Quick Reply

Latest