The Student Room Group

Women martial artist vs Men

Hey I was wondering if anyone out there is a woman martial artist, or knows one, and what your opinions are on television progammes like NCIS where Ziva David easily takes out multiple men that are taller and heavier than her. Do you think this is realistic or just Hollywood?
Not just women, but in general do you think a 140lb martial artist could take out say a 240lb man-mountain who has no fight training?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pol pot noodles
Hey I was wondering if anyone out there is a woman martial artist, or knows one, and what your opinions are on television progammes like NCIS where Ziva David easily takes out multiple men that are taller and heavier than her. Do you think this is realistic or just Hollywood?
Not just women, but in general do you think a 140lb martial artist could take out say a 240lb man-mountain who has no fight training?

Professional, womens MMA fighter would beat any man who has no fight training, with the possible exception of a huge rugby player or something.

But yes, got 140lb fighters will beat anyone of any size without any fight training. Look up UFC 1.
Original post by ForeverIsMyName
Professional, womens MMA fighter would beat any man who has no fight training, with the possible exception of a huge rugby player or something.

But yes, got 140lb fighters will beat anyone of any size without any fight training. Look up UFC 1.

I don't get the reference to UFC. Does UFC not have weight classes?
What would a 140lb fighter do to stop a bigger guy simply using his pure strength to bear hug or choke him/her into submission?
I don't get the reference to UFC. Does UFC not have weight classes?
What would a 140lb fighter do to stop a bigger guy simply using his pure strength to bear hug or choke him/her into submission?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bvggjbAoRw

This is early UFC, with no weight classes. Royce Gracie won at least 3 of the tournaments.
Reply 4

Honestly, no. All the technique in the world is irrelevant when you're being lifted a foot off the ground by your throat.
Reply 5
Original post by py0alb
Honestly, no. All the technique in the world is irrelevant when you're being lifted a foot off the ground by your throat.

Exactly, a good martial artist wouldnt get caught be the throat. He/she`d know how to avoid. Martial artists have tactics on how to fight..
Reply 6
Original post by Nezer
Exactly, a good martial artist wouldnt get caught be the throat. He/she`d know how to avoid. Martial artists have tactics on how to fight..

Explain to me how exactly, given that you're too small and weak to affect this man mountain in any way whatsoever, and his reach exceeds yours by a considerable margin :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Original post by py0alb
Explain to me how exactly, given that you're too small and weak to affect this man mountain in any way whatsoever, and his reach exceeds yours by a considerable margin :rolleyes:

He can be as huge as its possible, if he swings a good martial artist would probably go for either the legs og vulnerable place on his body.. He is big, slow.. got muscle but no fight experience except lifting thing.. he`s a big target all open not knowing what to do but trying to get a good grip. And "weak"? where do you get that from, small i can see... but people who train martial arts are usually strong as hell even though they`re not body builders. Jackie Chan is small, Bruce Lee is small.. Have you ever seen a feather weight UFC fighter go at it before? they fight as crazy animals even though they are small. That big bulk of muscles without experince and tactics would lose most definitly against a good martial artist.
A bad martial artist he would probably win against because he`s.. well he`s bad at it..
Reply 8
Original post by Nezer
He can be as huge as its possible, if he swings a good martial artist would probably go for either the legs og vulnerable place on his body.. He is big, slow.. got muscle but no fight experience except lifting thing.. he`s a big target all open not knowing what to do but trying to get a good grip. And "weak"? where do you get that from, small i can see... but people who train martial arts are usually strong as hell even though they`re not body builders. Jackie Chan is small, Bruce Lee is small.. Have you ever seen a feather weight UFC fighter go at it before? they fight as crazy animals even though they are small. That big bulk of muscles without experince and tactics would lose most definitly against a good martial artist.
A bad martial artist he would probably win against because he`s.. well he`s bad at it..

We're talking about this:

against this:

and you are honestly telling me you think the girl would win? :lolwut:

i got into a fight against maybe around 17stone man with no fighting skills, took him down no problem
Original post by py0alb

against this:

aim for the balls then she will have no problem... being trained in martial art doesn't mean they can't fight dirty
Reply 11
Original post by big-boss-91
i got into a fight against maybe around 17stone man with no fighting skills, took him down no problem

playing mortal kombat doesn't count, tough guy.
Reply 12
Original post by big-boss-91
aim for the balls then she will have no problem... being trained in martial art doesn't mean they can't fight dirty

you don't think they would see that coming a mile off?

This discussion is utterly ridiculous. Any female martial artist who wasn't completely mental would fully admit that they wouldn't stand a chance agaisnt a big strong guy.
Reply 13
Original post by py0alb

against this:

Well she could win, shes hot.. its a wicked good distraction..
and it depends, does she suck at martial arts? Read up on what martial arts is and what different crazy **** that actually is considerd as martial arts.,, Even though hes got muscles doesnt mean he leg wont break when you kick on the side of his kne or arm wont break when someone bend his albow the wrong way or get hurt when his head hits the asfalt or is eyes get stung out, or his nose breaks from a wicked punch or someone uses some crazy martial art technique on him and seriously hurt him..
Reply 14
Original post by Nezer
Well she could win, shes hot.. its a wicked good distraction..
and it depends, does she suck at martial arts? Read up on what martial arts is and what different crazy **** that actually is considerd as martial arts.,, Even though hes got muscles doesnt mean he leg wont break when you kick on the side of his kne or arm wont break when someone bend his albow the wrong way or get hurt when his head hits the asfalt or is eyes get stung out, or his nose breaks from a wicked punch or someone uses some crazy martial art technique on him and seriously hurt him..

Basic physics will tell you that she simply doesn't have the body mass to be able to break his leg even if he very obligingly lay down and let her jump up and down on it for a bit.

On the other hand, if he swings for her, she can try and block it but her wrist would simply snap back moments before his fist rearranges her jaw and puts her out for the count. There's only so many times you can duck before he got hold of her and then its game over.
Original post by py0alb

Spoiler

It depends on a few things.
Do both opponents know that they're fighting?
Is he grabbing her from behind?
How good is her fighting style and how much experience does she have?
Has she thought against people bigger than her?
Does he know she's a martial artist?
What's his fight game like?

Generally, I'd say that someone with fight training would be more likely to win against someone who hasn't. If they know pressure point strikes even better.
If they're willing to kick in the nuts, it's game over.
Reply 16
Original post by py0alb

Sure its just getting to that point which is going to be difficult
The Israeli Army actually tested this. They got their most trained (in unarmed combat) female soldiers to go against ordinary civilian men. They found that, at best, the women could hold off the men.

Basically, size DOES make a huge difference, except in fiction.
Reply 18
Original post by ocelotrevs
It depends on a few things.
Do both opponents know that they're fighting?
Is he grabbing her from behind?
How good is her fighting style and how much experience does she have?
Has she thought against people bigger than her?
Does he know she's a martial artist?
What's his fight game like?

Generally, I'd say that someone with fight training would be more likely to win against someone who hasn't. If they know pressure point strikes even better.

yes
no, they're squaring up
she's good, but she's small as defined in the OP
information not available
yes, shes clearly wearing a dressing gown
hes an international rugby player, so probably pretty good. its not will ferrell

99.9 times out of 100, he wins. it probably doesn't take long. here's what would go down:
she tries to kick him and just hurts her foot. he doesn't flinch
he grabs at her a few times, she ducks.
she punches him and hurts her hand. he wipes his nose
he finally manages to grab her, lifts her up and throws her on the floor.
she doesn't get up.
Original post by ocelotrevs

Pressure point strikes are BS.

And it's harder than you think to kick a trained fighter in the balls.

Quick Reply

Latest