The Student Room Group

For all you anti gun hoplophobes on here

Scroll to see replies

Original post by crazycake93
How often are shootings in the UK compared to USA... Roughly 40,000 deaths in the USA... Only 42 in the UK.

But tha'ts not fair, the USA has 6 times the population... so lets divide the deaths by 6...thats still 6666 deaths. So by having the right to bear arms means that you are 15771.5% more likely to die from the barrel of a gun.

And that statistic means nothing. Good job wasting your time.
Original post by MarcusTheEskimo
And that statistic means nothing. Good job wasting your time.

How does it mean nothing, it quite obviously shows that if you have the right to bear arms "indescriminantly" you are 1000 odd % more likely to kill somone or be killed.
the right to bear arms means that you are 15771.5% more likely to die from the barrel of a gun.

the right to bear arms "indescriminantly" you are 1000 odd % more likely to kill somone or be killed.

It amuses me how you can say something in one post, then in your very next post mere minutes later, you lose track of the key points of what you are saying and say something that is completely different.

I mean, the parts of the posts that I quoted were quite literally word-for-word the same, except, in your mind, you managed to change the absolute key issue.

No wonder it's impossible to have a debate with anyone.
Reply 203
How often are shootings in the UK compared to USA... Roughly 40,000 deaths in the USA... Only 42 in the UK.

But tha'ts not fair, the USA has 6 times the population... so lets divide the deaths by 6...thats still 6666 deaths. So by having the right to bear arms means that you are 15771.5% more likely to die from the barrel of a gun.

source? evidence? link? so tell me, are you a 1000 more times more likely to murder someone with a gun in your hand? because when I go out clay shooting with a shotgun in my hand call me insane but I don't get overcome with murderous rage. maybe you need to grow up and live a little before you make retarded biased statements. Ever held a gun in your hand? if so did you kill everyone in the room? ever held a kitchen knife in your hand?
Reply 204
Original post by Almonds are good
I don't think so. In America there are tons of shootings every day and that is probably because it is so easy for us to get guns. If everyone got a gun it would just turn into this big shootout that would cause even more damage.

NO! guns don't make people into killers. they're inanimate objects.
Reply 205
Original post by Hardballer
NO! guns don't make people into killers. they're inanimate objects.

You seem to keep ignoring inconvenient truths, but they do exactly that. Anyone, especially a child, can become an accidental killer with a gun in the home. Without the gun it can't happen.
Reply 207
Original post by Good bloke
You seem to keep ignoring inconvenient truths, but they do exactly that. Anyone, especially a child, can become an accidental killer with a gun in the home. Without the gun it can't happen.

people can become accidental killers with cars, accidently set the house on fire whilst cooking, and sure a gun discharges a projectile at extreme speed with just the pull of the trigger, but just like any tool such as a knife, a chainsaw, a cooker or a vehicle, if you teach someone to use it safely and especially if you teach children to use firearms safely at a young age under supervised conditions then it takes away the mystery and the miscnceptions of how guns are used in the media. It teaches a kid a degree of responsibility. Would you rather a kids forst encounter with a firearm be with a violent movie? or shooting on a clay range?
people can become accidental killers with cars, accidently set the house on fire whilst cooking, and sure a gun discharges a projectile at extreme speed with just the pull of the trigger, but just like any tool such as a knife, a chainsaw, a cooker or a vehicle,

There are some risks we have to accept in the real world, such as cooking accidents and those caused by careless use of tools. We make sure children don't drive and that all drivers are tested before they are aollowed on the roads unsupervised. But we don't need to accept those risks that have to do with weapons, so we don't.
There are some risks we have to accept in the real world, such as cooking accidents and those caused by careless use of tools. We make sure children don't drive and that all drivers are tested before they are aollowed on the roads unsupervised. But we don't need to accept those risks that have to do with weapons, so we don't.

Simple education about keeping guns locked away safely in a high location would solve accidents.

It's an irrelevant point anyway, you should grant people the freedom to take the risk themselves. You don't have to take the risk, I don't want to. Give people the choice and the freedom to decide what they want, instead of saying "no, you can't". Cue another Hitler picture.
Reply 210
Original post by MarcusTheEskimo

you should grant people the freedom to take the risk themselves. You don't have to take the risk,

No we shouldn't. The child that finds the carelessly stored gun hasn't been consulted about the risks it runs. The neighbour killed by the stray bullet isn't consulted about the risks of living next to a careless gun owner.

You have no chance at all of winning this debate in 21st century Europe; public opinion and common sense are dead against it. Even the Swiss have considered taking the guns off their citizen-soldiers recently. If you want to keep and play with guns other than shotguns you will have to emigrate.
Reply 212

You have no chance at all of winning this debate in 21st century Europe; public opinion and common sense are dead against it. Even the Swiss have considered taking the guns off their citizen-soldiers recently.

Common sense and freedom prevailed and the gun grabbers lost and the conscripted soldiers get to keep their weapons in their home. Handguns are actually legal in most parts of europe with a licence but they're pretty much outright banned here just because of one incident (dunblane).
Common sense and freedom prevailed and the gun grabbers lost and the conscripted soldiers get to keep their weapons in their home. Handguns are actually legal in most parts of europe with a licence but they're pretty much outright banned here just because of one incident (dunblane).

Your non-existent freedom to own a handgun is far outweighed by the public interest in being safe.
Reply 214
Your non-existent freedom to own a handgun is far outweighed by the public interest in being safe.

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery"

Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson

Well, Jefferson made his choice. The rest of us can make our own. Personally I prefer safe freedom, which is what we have in the UK. To describe us as slaves just because we stop you from playing cowboys and indians with real guns is risible.
Reply 216
Well, Jefferson made his choice. The rest of us can make our own. Personally I prefer safe freedom, which is what we have in the UK. To describe us as slaves just because we stop you from playing cowboys and indians with real guns is risible.

gun control is an illusion though, we still have a high murder rate, just look at glasgow, gun control has also come prior to alot of genocide throughout history. I doubt it will happen in this country but this country is still a very violent one with no means of people being able to defend themselves, even cs spray is banned for civilians, and cctv is only a record of how you died, in regards to knife and gun crime, why does it matter if you are shot or stabbed? you're still just as dead and when thugs can't find a gun they stab their defenceless victim instead as he was told not to carry a concealed knife as it would make it more likely that he would die? so if someone is going to stab you would you be better off with
a. a knife?
b. nothing?
c. pepper spray which is ****ing banned!
(edited 13 years ago)
gun control is an illusion though, we still have a high murder rate, just look at glasgow, gun control has also come prior to alot of genocide throughout history. I doubt it will happen in this country but this country is still a very violent one with no means of people being able to defend themselves, even cs spray is banned for civilians, and cctv is only a record of how you died, in regards to knife and gun crime, why does it matter if you are shot or stabbed? you're still just as dead and when thugs can't find a gun they stab their defenceless victim instead as he was told not to carry a concealed knife as it would make it more likely that he would die? so if someone is going to stab you would you be better off with
a. a knife?
b. nothing?
c. pepper spray which is ****ing banned!

You mentioned before one part of the US, which is a vast country and said because of gun ownership people can leave their doors unlocked. Then make out all of the UK a hotbed of knife crime and violence.

Youre cherry picking information on one side and generalising on the other to fit your agenda. The UK in general is a safe country, just because of a few incidents of people being shot doesn't mean we need people walking round carrying guns for their own protection.
No we shouldn't. The child that finds the carelessly stored gun hasn't been consulted about the risks it runs. The neighbour killed by the stray bullet isn't consulted about the risks of living next to a careless gun owner.

The child that finds the carelessly stored car keys hasn't been consulted about the risks it runs. The neighbour killed by the out of control car t isn't consulted about the risks of living next to a careless car owner.

BAN CARS!!1111!!
:rolleyes:

You have no chance at all of winning this debate in 21st century Europe; public opinion and common sense are dead against it.

Wrong. People are becoming more aware of the disadvantages of the increasingly authoritarian state we live in. Just look at the recent protests-cum-riots. And last time I checked, many European states with evidently more liberal governments than ours have more liberal gun control.

If you want to keep and play with guns other than shotguns you will have to emigrate.

Sigh, you're also wrong again. Rifles are legally in this country. I personally am going to own both a rifle and a shotgun, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Thomas Jefferson

Good quote, but surely if you are of the belief that guns make you safer, then the quote would be "Safe freedom, dangerous slavery". I.e. guns can make you safer and allowing you to buy guns is a freedom. In which case, the route you choose is pretty obvious, and you can see why so many people are passionate about liberalising our gun laws.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending