The Student Room Group

Are 4yr courses really that bad?

Basically I'm already two years behind. I'm 20 and heading into 1st year in September. I've got 4 unconditionals. I've narrowed it down to 2. And I would be certain I'd pick the one I really want to go to however its a 4 year course. I'm just not sure I want to do a 4yr course when I have the oppurtunity to do a year year course.

opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What do you mean by bad? I've nearly come to the end of my 4 year course and although it had dragged at some points it's gone by really fast. I've really enjoyed it.
Reply 2
I don't see any problem with it, I'm in my final year of 4 and it's not so bad. Get to be a student for a bit longer! Only potential downside is if you befriend and live with people doing a 3 year course. But then there will be people to live with for the 4th year.
Reply 3
Original post by hannah_dru
What do you mean by bad? I've nearly come to the end of my 4 year course and although it had dragged at some points it's gone by really fast. I've really enjoyed it.

I couldn't think of any other title that would be short enough. Not, bad. But in my case not the best option as I'll be 24 when I finish uni as opposed to 23.

I'm guessing you went to uni at 18/19 though yea?
Reply 4
Original post by noodles!
I don't see any problem with it, I'm in my final year of 4 and it's not so bad. Get to be a student for a bit longer! Only potential downside is if you befriend and live with people doing a 3 year course. But then there will be people to live with for the 4th year.

No, the 4yr is in scotland so everyone will be on a year 4yr.
Reply 5
Scotland here too, the 1st year (Maths) had little content, then again, I did further maths.

There is the option for 2nd year entry as well (if you can prove you can cope with it).

Almost finished now, the 4 years have started to drag on, but mainly because I've got a new found dislike for the subject and academia as a whole.
They're better. When you leave for a job they would probably pick you, because you have a extra year of studying.
Reply 7
In Scotland you can change your entire degree intention because you study 3 different subjects during your first two years. This may be a benefit to you.
Reply 8
Original post by MillerTraub
Scotland here too, the 1st year (Maths) had little content, then again, I did further maths.

There is the option for 2nd year entry as well (if you can prove you can cope with it).

Almost finished now, the 4 years have started to drag on, but mainly because I've got a new found dislike for the subject and academia as a whole.

No, I don't think 2nd year is an option. Its ABB to get in I'm BBB :frown:

What would you say then. 3yr or 4yr?

It's Aberystwyth or Dundee btw
Reply 9
Totally depends on you I think. I haven't had a gap year or anything and feel like I've really had enough of education and want to get a proper job kind of thing hence went for a three year course thinking I can put more focus into it. I think the more time goes on the harder I'd find it to study and later years are usually more important with weighting.

If you feel you can do four years go for it. Loads of my friends are on four year courses with one year as an integrated placement. I was but dropped out of that uni and went to another because placements weren't looking all that interesting/decent after all and I like the thought of just getting out there and finding work. For me personally I would be looking at what modules are in the extra year, if I like them/how much I can choose my modules sort of thing :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Delaney
In Scotland you can change your entire degree intention because you study 3 different subjects during your first two years. This may be a benefit to you.

So I could go on a economics degree and come out with a degree in Spanish?
Original post by bestofyou
Basically I'm already two years behind. I'm 20 and heading into 1st year in September. I've got 4 unconditionals. I've narrowed it down to 2. And I would be certain I'd pick the one I really want to go to however its a 4 year course. I'm just not sure I want to do a 4yr course when I have the oppurtunity to do a year year course.

opinions?

I'm 19 atm, and I hope to be applying for to start Sep 2012. I'll be 20, too, plus my grades aren't really good enough so I want to do a foundation course which is one year, then the normal three if I manage to get onto the BA degree. So we'll be in exactly the same position. I think I've come to terms with the fact that I'll be several years behind most people my age.
So I could go on a economics degree and come out with a degree in Spanish?

What uni do you want to go?
I couldn't think of any other title that would be short enough. Not, bad. But in my case not the best option as I'll be 24 when I finish uni as opposed to 23.

I'm guessing you went to uni at 18/19 though yea?

Yeah I did. I don't think it matters though, I've got people on the same course as me who'll finish at 23/24.
Reply 14
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
What uni do you want to go?

I'd rather go to Dundee, but Aberystwyth is appealing due to the 3yr course. So I'm completly stuck atm.
No, I don't think 2nd year is an option. Its ABB to get in I'm BBB :frown:

What would you say then. 3yr or 4yr?

It's Aberystwyth or Dundee btw

It all depends on how interested you are in your subject.

Advantage of Scotland is that as mentioned earlier, you can change degree relatively easily.

In 1st year you can take more or less any course you are interested in, get good marks, change course.

Keep in mind as well, the real cost of the 4th year is loss of earnings, not course and living costs.
Reply 16
They're better. When you leave for a job they would probably pick you, because you have a extra year of studying.

Rubbish.
Reply 17
Original post by cambo211
Rubbish.

lol, yeah, thats what I thought.

I agree with the first part that it can be beneficial. However, I don't think the employmenr will pick the person who did 4 year course BECAUSE they have done an extra year of studying. I personally think it is more about how people on 4 year course usually have a year of work placement or sometihng like that, and it tops up the experience of the person within the industry, which makes them more employable.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
im in my fourth year of law and french and after that im doing a masters in law and then an lpc so i'll be 24 before i start looking for a job. no problems whatsoever with this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending