The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Offers 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TimmonaPortella
You're right, it is :smile:

Like I said, these sorts of comments are highly degrading for both parties.

Rather than wasting everyone's time like this, I strongly suggest you leave this thread in peace so that informal conversation can be resumed.
(edited 13 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by innerhollow
Like I said, these sorts of comments are highly degrading for both parties.

Rather than wasting your time like this, if you're not going to offer anything other than insults and put-downs, I suggest you leave this thread in peace so that informal conversation can be resumed.

Suggestion duly noted.
Any other submissions?
Suggestion duly noted.
Any other submissions?

None for now. You're free to go.
(edited 13 years ago)

When: 13th January 2010
How: Opened letter in front of dad
What for: Chemical Engineering
College: Girton
Emotions: Wasn't my first choice anyway but quite a few people from my school of a similar ability to me got offers, so I was expected to get one too. A but of a let down, would have been nice to get an offer.
Why: No idea, perhaps my Mark in Higher Maths (92%) was lower than average? I found my interview pretty straightforward though
Reapply?: Absolutely not

I got 86% in higher maths but got an offer. Think of another reason for you being inferior to me.

Ok, this one I'll respond to.
I did not commit the ad hominem fallacy; neither did nibbler. I originally pointed out that roblee was making his comments because of his rejection. I did not, thereby, seek to invalidate his argument on the admissions process, and therefore neither did I commit that fallacy in my post, nor did nibbler in his, since he was merely pointing out lack of impartiality and not attempting thereby to refute roblee's comments.
Right lets all relax of this Imperial vs Cambridge/Oxford thingy. Both unis have their pros and cons. Obviously Oxbridge is better overall.

However, there are obviously going to be people who end up graduating from Oxbridge less brighter than students in Imperial. There are going to be some students in Imperial who are actually Oxbridge Material, yet due a slight lack of luck/one single module/failure to produce at interview makes the difference. If any of you have heard of Farhan.Hanif, he, i promise, is brighter than many of the mathmos who will end up in Cambridge but he was rejected ? Why ? Mainly because of one single module
Theres a little bit of luck involved in the Oxbridge admissions making, and anyone who disagrees with me is mistaken. And before people say that I'm being sour, I know why I was rejected from Cambridge. This was because of my Physics AS Marks, mainly my practical paper. I got a B in that paper.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by CookieGhoul
If any of you have heard of Farhan.Hanif, he, i promise, is brighter than many of the mathmos who will end up in Cambridge but he was rejected ? Why ? Mainly because of one single module

Hm, I know of farhan and his rejection. Do you know that it was because of one module? Did he get feedback?

Even if he did, the module wouldn't have been considered on its own. I thought he would get an offer, but for anyone who didn't interview him, who didn't read his personal statement or mark his admissions tests, and who didn't see the quality of other applicants to say that he should have got an offer is just a tad presumptuous tbh.
Ok, this one I'll respond to.
I did not commit the ad hominem fallacy; neither did nibbler. I originally pointed out that roblee was making his comments because of his rejection. I did not, thereby, seek to invalidate his argument on the admissions process, and therefore neither did I commit that fallacy in my post, nor did nibbler in his, since he was merely pointing out lack of impartiality and not attempting thereby to refute roblee's comments.

I accept that that would mean that you did not make an ad hom. But that just raises another question. What is the point in trying to prove that roblee is biased on the topic? If you consider all the factors that influence us in our lives, all the extremely tiny facets of our live thus far that have created the people we are today... it's difficult to say that anyone is completely unbiased on a given topic. The fact that our lives shape our views is not something to be condemned necessarily.

If you were not trying to refute roblee's comments, then what were you hoping to achieve exactly?
(edited 13 years ago)
Hm, I know of farhan and his rejection. Do you know that it was because of one module? Did he get feedback?

Even if he did, the module wouldn't have been considered on its own. I thought he would get an offer, but for anyone who didn't interview him, who didn't read his personal statement or mark his admissions tests, and who didn't see the quality of other applicants to say that he should have got an offer is just a tad presumptuous tbh.

Hrm true. I havent talked to him personally at all, however. But I remember that he said that it was mainly because of his mechanics module, so I'm speaking from that prospective.

You're true that I'm being presumputuous. I haven't done all of those stuff that you mentioned. I was just making an informed decision based on his level of knowledge in Mathematics and his ability to answer questions, and the fact that he also has gotten an 1 in STEP 1 and that was in 2010. So I just made an assumption based on those points. But you are right also. He may have failed in his interview, to be honest. No offence to him at all
(edited 13 years ago)
What can I say? I find human behaviour intruiging at times... often actions people perform can seem very perplexing until you consider that perhaps not very much conscious thought goes into these. It seems perplexing to me that you would devote your own free time trying to enrage another human being, which really has no benefit for you and is morally dubious. I was trying to surmise what, if any, thought went into this decision.

Regardless, this is now very off-topic. If you wish to make any further attempts to annoy or anger me, you are welcome to do so over private message.

Original post by nibbler12

That was quite unexpected, I couldn't help but laugh :colondollar:
(edited 13 years ago)
EVERYONE in this futile discussion, regardless of whether you're going to Oxbridge or Imperial or Thames Valley, is a douchebag.

/discussion
Original post by nikita_atikin
EVERYONE in this futile discussion, regardless of whether you're going to Oxbridge or Imperial or Thames Valley, is a douchebag.

/discussion

Original post by nikita_atikin

/discussion

If you reply to that post I quoted you in on this thread about imperial+ECs that should get this thread back on track.
Yawn. Stupid post.

I'm not going to bother with it, tbh; I will, however, return your rep :smile:

argument quality of future Cam law graduate :colonhash:

You're wasting valuable internet space. :colonhash:
Reply 837
Lets change the subject!

Today, I went to go and donate some blood :awesome: only to be told i have very low amounts of iron and thus Hb in my blood (9 mmol/l, normal being 12 mmol/l) :frown: I have to wait a year I think, in the meantime, bring on the meat!

Anyone else give blood? (I hope I'm not ignored :p:)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by F.I
Lets change the subject!

Today, I went to go and donate some blood :awesome: only to be told i have very low amounts of iron in my blood (9 mmol/l, normal being 12 mmol/l) :frown: I have to wait a year I think, in the mean time, bring on the meat!

Anyone else give blood? (I hope I'm not ignored :p:)

:tongue: I was going to and then I went with a friend and they took 4 goes to get any. I think I felt queasier than she did by the end!

(Yes I know, I'm not an Imperial offer holder :getmecoat:)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 839
Original post by Jing_jing
:tongue: I was going to and then I went with a friend and they took 4 goes to get any. I think I felt queasier than she did by the end!

(Yes I know, I'm not an Imperial offer holder :getmecoat:)

Well Done! If only more people are encouraged to give blood! I'm really upset I can't, oh well :frown:
I'm going to sign up for the donors list soon :biggrin:
My arm is currently 'dead', :p: all that for a check up, well lets look at the positives, I know i need to improve my diet :p:
Are you a regular donor?

Aw, you are welcome here anytime!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending