The Student Room Group

BMI/ dress size please girlies

I have a BMI of about 29. I'm a size 16- 18 and want to be about a 14 (possibly lower but don't think that's gonna happen lol).

I was wondering what my BMI would have to be for me to be that size, so thought I would ask you guys for a little comparison. I know everyone is different but it could be interesting.

Here's a good BMI calculator: http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/tools/bmi_calculator/bmi.shtml

So all I really want to know is your BMI and UK dress size.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your BMI will not always necessarily correlate with your dress size as it is dependant on your height so it's not a great measurement.

In any case, my BMI is about 22 and I'm a dress size 10.
Everyone's different. I don't think my reply is going to be of much help - but my BMI is 18-19 (unsure exactly of my height), and a size 6 generally, sometimes size 8.
However, I feel a bit unhappy with my figure because I think my fat percentage or whatever has gone up, am actually "fatter" in comparison to what I used to look like and feel less fit than what I used to.

However, I don't know what your bone structure is, but as long as you aim for a BMI of 25 or below, you will be fine. : )
Why do girls put so much emphasis on clothes sizings?
Even as a guy I know they are complete BS, and vary hugely depending on style and the shop etc etc.
Reply 4
There's something really irritating about the word 'girlies'.

Anyway, I'm a size 10-18 (I kid you not. I have some straight-leg jeans which fit great and are a UK 10 from H&M, but also some Levis in a size 16 which fit great, while I have a t-shirt in a size 12 from New Look which fits well, and a jacket in a size 18 from H&M which fits well. I have no idea what is going on here) and my BMI is 24. :smile:

Edit: Oh, and I'm 5'8 if this helps.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I have a BMI of about 29. I'm a size 16- 18 and want to be about a 14 (possibly lower but don't think that's gonna happen lol).

I was wondering what my BMI would have to be for me to be that size, so thought I would ask you guys for a little comparison. I know everyone is different but it could be interesting.

Here's a good BMI calculator: http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/tools/bmi_calculator/bmi.shtml

So all I really want to know is your BMI and UK dress size.

BMI is rubbish if you have more than average body muscle for your height/weight.
Mine's about 25-26 and i'm a size 8-10
Original post by kerily
There's something really irritating about the word 'girlies'.

Anyway, I'm a size 10-18 (I kid you not. I have some straight-leg jeans which fit great and are a UK 10 from H&M, but also some Levis in a size 16 which fit great, while I have a t-shirt in a size 12 from New Look which fits well, and a jacket in a size 18 from H&M which fits well. I have no idea what is going on here) and my BMI is 24. :smile:

Edit: Oh, and I'm 5'8 if this helps.

LOL my thoughts exactly I thought I was going to smash the screen there for a minute...

BMI 16 clothes size 4-6
Reply 7
My BMI is 19 and I'm a size 8-10 (5'8), although it completely varies between shops. I'm currently sat in my size 8 jeans from Dorothy Perkins and they're a bit baggy, whereas the size 10 jeans from topshop I was wearing yesterday are quite snug.
Reply 8
21 and 8/10
My BMI is 19.2 and I'm a size 8 or 10
My BMI is: 22. Clothes size 8.

My BMI used to be 30. Clothes size 16/18.
My BMI is about 19.5, and I'm a size 6/8.

Forgot to add my height, I'm 5ft.
(edited 13 years ago)
BMI is 21.7, dress size 10/12.
Reply 13
my BMI is 18.02 (underweight) and im a size 6-10. oh and im 5'4"
26.5ish (I haven't weighed myself recently!) and I'm a 12-14, sometimes 16 in trousers.
Reply 15
bmi 29 , size 12-14 , 5'7
Reply 16
Well i got a lot of "this won't make any sense" but it there's a lot of similarities in people's dress size/ BMI... so I'm thinking for me a BMI of 24 should be a small size 14 for me, only 2 and a half stone to lose... fun
Reply 17
Original post by Liyah
bmi 29 , size 12-14 , 5'7

seriously? are you really muscly??
BMI is 21.9, clothes size varies enormously but usually a 12.
20.9 and I'm a size 12 on bottom and size 10 on top.

I'm 5'10, I'd look unhealthy in sizes 6/8 tbh...

Quick Reply

Latest