The Student Room Group

For all the people who find Chemistry A-Level easy...

Did you do triple or Double Science?
What grade did you get? (GCSE)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Triple/AAA

I don't think it really helped that much though. I hated Chemistry at GCSE so I didn't really pay much attention either :| it's much more interesting at A-level though, which is probably why I don't particularly struggle - i'm interested.
(edited 13 years ago)
bump
Double, AA (could have had A*A*, but coursework brought it down) anyway, like the person above me said, i find it interesting which makes it easier. :biggrin:
Triple A*,A*,A*. Dropped a grand total of 18 UMS marks over the entire Chemistry GCSE.
Reply 5
Original post by .snowflake.
Triple A*,A*,A*. Dropped a grand total of 18 UMS marks over the entire Chemistry GCSE.

18 UMS? That's a lot.
Reply 6
Bear in mind also that triple science didn't used to be compulsory for schools to offer (I was the last year where it wasn't). So anyone who did triple science more than two years ago probably went to a better school, which will also have affected how hard they found the a-level.
triple A*s.
Reply 8
Double A*A*
Reply 9
Original post by multiplexing-gamer

Double science, got AA

Cruised through a-s chemistry (94% UMS) yet im findind biology alot more dfficult.
At a-level its more about understanding the fundamentals and then being able to apply it to everything else you learn.
Reply 10
I did the single award in year 10, then the tripple award in year 11 so I got 4 GCSEs out of it.
4A*s all 96%+

I bet theres next to no link between atainment in GCSE and that at A-level in chem though tbh. Completley different kettle of fish.
Double, A*A* (got like 97% (dropped on Biology) first year then 100% second year if you care at all)

I think it's quite easy, takes a bit of work but there aren't any concepts that are particularly difficult. As long as you think logically and are good at maths it'll be easy :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Not a big deal tbh.

I know people who got full UMS in every science at GCSE.

Double A*A* 100UMS in core and additional. Chemistry and Biology AS is a different ball game. Faar harder.
Original post by EffKayy
18 UMS? That's a lot.

When it's out of 300 it isn't!

Certificate appears to disagree with me.
Unit 1 (C1,2,3) 96/100 UMS
Unit 2 (C4,5,6) 96/100
Coursework 93/100
So only dropped 15UMS.

You need 270/300 for an A* in GCSE chemistry.
Reply 15
Double, my school unfortunately diddnt offer triple, I got A*A* but I dont think it is overly reflective of how easy or difficult you will find alevel chemistry. Other factors were more of an influence;
1-An awesome teacher who was always willing to help
2-hard work, homeworks and getting you own past papers
3-positive attitude
4-specific study techniques (notes work better for biology, chemistry just requires past papers and plenty of practce)
5-Math skills, I diddnt take a-level maths and although I found GCSE sufficent it was good to get my friends to help me target my mistakes
Reply 16
When it's out of 300 it isn't!

Certificate appears to disagree with me.
Unit 1 (C1,2,3) 96/100 UMS
Unit 2 (C4,5,6) 96/100
Coursework 93/100
So only dropped 15UMS.

You need 270/300 for an A* in GCSE chemistry.

Aha I was kidding
and yeah it is!
:smile:
I did some rubbish 'applied science' thing which doesn't count as a GCSE by most people... Starting chemistry A level is literally impossible and I nearly dropped out but now its fine :smile: Hard work but fine... And I got BB, and am now working at A/A* in A level
(edited 13 years ago)
AA*A in biology chemistry and physics respectively

i dont find it too hard but its the understanding of the content throughly and applying your knowledge in the exam- which may be quite tricky

but past papers are the best tool for me
Reply 19

I find it very hard but I did triple science last year (5 hours a fortnight of each science) and got an A* !!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending