The Student Room Group

Anti-Street Harassment UK- a new feminist group.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cable
Did she do that? If she did that, what a hypocrite like most modern feminists in general.

...um no. I didn't. What I actually asked was whether he'd asked why he HADN'T got the job, because if he did and they had no good answers, yes he had a right to complain.

He hasn't actually answered that question yet, which is a shame because it was a serious question. Most large companies do have policies in place for interview feedback because, oddly enough, most large companies want you to progress and to shield themselves from charges of prejudice (be that homophobia, sexism, racism or simple nepotism.)
Original post by Cable
Of course, Captain Obvious. They are children/animals whatever you want to call them. Seriously, welcome to real world. These animals that grope any woman they see are free to roam about and do what they like. You must be naive if you don't know that those men have no morals at all and so, they feel no guilt in groping the women.

Of course, it's wrong to grope women. But they're still out there, aren't they? And that why women should stop being naive/stupid and take some responsibility to dress up sensibly to reduce the chance of being groped by these animals?

The women should take responsibility for themselves if they don't want to be abused and avoid getting drunk, half-naked, unnecessarily unconscious (from drugs, alcohol etc.) or nude in the presence of those animals.

Now, do you get that or do I have to spell it out for you?

Could you please find me the statistics that support your theory that women are more likely to be sexually assaulted if dressed a certain way? Rather than playing Captain Obvious and guessing?

Rape isn't about how you're dressed. It's about power. Dressing up sensibly is not a protection against rape.
Reply 242
Originally posted by foreveranon

In 2006, the year mentioned above, less than 800 people were convicted of rape. How bad is that?

If you truly think that dressing a certain way, sleeping with too many people or anything else removes a person's right to not be yelled at in the street, groped or raped then you have a problem. If you are unable to control your own behaviour to the point where you actually HAVE to yell at women dressed a certain way then get help. I'm utterly serious. Because it might be yelling now but who knows what you'll be incapable of preventing yourself doing tomorrow?

Yes lets convict more than 800 man a year just to make feminists happy forget that this man are innocent until proven guilty forget a court trial lets just throw away all the rights these man have and throw them in the gutter even if they may be innocent to make the feminists happy.

Hey I mean so what if there are innocent man in jail for a crime they didnt commit if it makes me feel safe Its worth it taking there legal rights away cause I feel safe.

By the way lets also not judge a woman on how they dress and the daily practices because this does'nt say anything about her character this does'nt tell us what kinda person she is no the woman accused the man of rape and it happened because she said so.
Reply 243
Original post by foreveranon
...um no. I didn't. What I actually asked was whether he'd asked why he HADN'T got the job, because if he did and they had no good answers, yes he had a right to complain.

He hasn't actually answered that question yet, which is a shame because it was a serious question. Most large companies do have policies in place for interview feedback because, oddly enough, most large companies want you to progress and to shield themselves from charges of prejudice (be that homophobia, sexism, racism or simple nepotism.)

loool

No I do not have to answer her question it has no relevance her own personal arguement was that she should have got the job because she had more qualifications.Therefore if I have more qualifications than this lady with none that means I should get the job does'nt matter about the interview.

Since to her its only about the qualifications she can't keep changing goal posts when it suits her and she shouldnt be saying the reason she did'nt get the position was cause shes female therefore accusing the employer of being sexist.
Original post by Mancini

Yes lets convict more than 800 man a year just to make feminists happy forget that this man are innocent until proven guilty forget a court trial lets just throw away all the rights these man have and throw them in the gutter even if they may be innocent to make the feminists happy.

Hey I mean so what if there are innocent man in jail for a crime they didnt commit if it makes me feel safe Its worth it taking there legal rights away cause I feel safe.

By the way lets also not judge a woman on how they dress and the daily practices because this does'nt say anything about her character this does'nt tell us what kinda person she is no the woman accused the man of rape and it happened because she said so.

Who said I was against a court trial? You seem to struggle with actual reading comprehension. I'm ALL in favour of court trials.

A world where rape cases don't get to trial because the victim dresses wrong or has previously consented to sex? Yes, that I have a problem with. And note, you're the only one using gender specific pronouns. Men get raped too, and get to court even less often.
Reply 245
Original post by Mancini
loool

No I do not have to answer her question it has no relevance her own personal arguement was that she should have got the job because she had more qualifications.Therefore if I have more qualifications than this lady with none that means I should get the job does'nt matter about the interview.

Since to her its only about the qualifications she can't keep changing goal posts when it suits her and she shouldnt be saying the reason she did'nt get the position was cause shes female therefore accusing the employer of being sexist.

No, she said that after asking for feedback, they failed to give her any reasons. She asked you if you had asked for feedback. How is that changing the goalposts?
Original post by Mancini
loool

Actually, as I said the first time, I requested interview feedback. Because oddly enough, I wanted to know what I did wrong. I knew I had the qualifications and if there was something I was screwing up I wanted to improve.

This is what you do in a professional working environment. You aim for a target, and if you can't get there you research why so you can improve. It's allowed! Encouraged, even! If you're not doing it, you need to start!

And yes, if the feedback, especially in a large company, points towards "Well, we didn't give you the job because, uh, LOOK OVER THERE!" then you should be asking questions because it's a good sign someone isn't following the company hiring procedures. You don't have to be a minority group to suffer from that. If you get overlooked because the boss wanted to hire his kid for instance, the chances are that HR would be VERY interested.
Reply 247
Original post by rlw31
No, she said that after asking for feedback, they failed to give her any reasons. She asked you if you had asked for feedback. How is that changing the goalposts?

The interviewer struggled to give her any reasons. Yes lets just take this blatant feminists word for it , her own biased feminist view did'nt cause her to believe they were struggling.

Really the truth is we just have her side of the story and this sexist interviewer is not here to defend themselves.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 248
Could you please find me the statistics that support your theory that women are more likely to be sexually assaulted if dressed a certain way? Rather than playing Captain Obvious and guessing?

Rape isn't about how you're dressed. It's about power. Dressing up sensibly is not a protection against rape.

Do you really think there'll be accurate samples and statistics to show how many women have been groped as well as how they were dressed?

It's called common sense. Just because something is more likely doesn't mean it will always happen. But the chance is there. You need to go out more if you haven't already and see what happens inside and outside clubs/bars at night. Where half-naked girls get lads honking their car-horn at the girls while driving past or "harassing" them by shouting "Hi gorgeous!" Many girls dressed half-naked are regularly perved on. Many girls get into clubs for free by the men outside simply by flashing/revealing "some flesh".

That doesn't mean that well clothed girls aren't groped either. But it's more likely, in my opinion of course and with some common sense, that half-naked girls are more likely to be perved on and groped. The more flesh they reveal, the more excited the "animals" are going to get. The more excited they get, the more they'll instinctively react to their emotions by perving on the girl or groping them. If you can't understand that, then you're beyond help.

I never talked about raped. So why are you bring that into the conversation? When I mentioned abuse, I meant groping or being perved on or being shouted at. Not rape.
Reply 249
Original post by Mancini
The interviewer struggled to give her any reasons. Yes lets just take this blatant feminists word for it , her own biased feminist view did'nt cause her to believe they were struggling.

Really the truth is we just have her side of the story and this anti-female interviewer is not here to defend themselves.

So, yet again you fail to say how she moved the goalposts :rolleyes:

Really, the truth is we just have your side of the story about not losing out to a less qualified female...
Original post by Mancini

Really the truth is we just have her side of the story and this sexist interviewer is not here to defend themselves.

Dude, if I were that desperate to give a biased story on an internet form I would just make something up from scratch. It would be rather less work and I wouldn't have to explain large companies hiring procedures to you. Really, what exactly do you think I have to gain from lying in this? If I manage to convince someone that SOME companies have sexist hiring practices will it turn out that they're the HR director of a multinational and instantly change all policies? Will I suddenly be made the government's new equality minister?
Original post by Cable
Do you really think there'll be accurate samples and statistics to show how many women have been groped as well as how they were dressed?

It's called common sense. Just because something is more likely doesn't mean it will always happen. But the chance is there. You need to go out more if you haven't already and see what happens inside and outside clubs/bars at night. Where half-naked girls get lads honking their car-horn at the girls while driving past or "harassing" them by shouting "Hi gorgeous!" Many girls dressed half-naked are regularly perved on. Many girls get into clubs for free by the men outside simply by flashing/revealing "some flesh".

That doesn't mean that well clothed girls aren't groped either. But it's more likely, in my opinion of course and with some common sense, that half-naked girls are more likely to be perved on and groped. The more flesh they reveal, the more excited the "animals" are going to get. The more excited they get, the more they'll instinctively react to their emotions by perving on the girl or groping them. If you can't understand that, then you're beyond help.

I never talked about raped. So why are you bring that into the conversation? When I mentioned abuse, I meant groping or being perved on or being shouted at. Not rape.

Okay, so you're just going to continue to go on "common sense" and "my opinion" rather than actual research? Really, google is right there.

http://www.usu.edu/saavi/pdf/myths_facts.pdf

I deliberately grabbed a university link so you couldn't complain I was using a feminist site, by the by. I can go further and start pulling out research papers if you prefer? I don't know which journals you have access to - I have NORA here.

And groping is sexual assault. Don't kid yourself otherwise. And it's dangerous because once someone's brain is going "I have the right to touch this person", "I have the right to have sex with this person" is only a short hop away.
Reply 252
Original post by Mancini
Your both just sexist feminist people and I have exposed you for what you are you disgusting sexist's you make me sick.

So you accused her of moving the goalposts, failed to explain how she did so, then went off on a tangent and claimed that her anecdotal evidence is biased, and, after it was suggested that your anecdotal evidence has yet to be proved or is not biased, you have somehow exposed for what I am?

A better debater than you?

:biggrin:

Not that it's hard when you make stuff up.
Reply 253

Dude, if I were that desperate to give a biased story on an internet form I would just make something up from scratch. It would be rather less work and I wouldn't have to explain large companies hiring procedures to you. Really, what exactly do you think I have to gain from lying in this? If I manage to convince someone that SOME companies have sexist hiring practices will it turn out that they're the HR director of a multinational and instantly change all policies? Will I suddenly be made the government's new equality minister?

But how does that automatically mean they were sexist? I too haven't been given feedback before. You don't see me jumping on a bandwagon that they were sexist against me. I know it's frustrating not to get feedback, but stop assuming only women face this. Men face this as well. But you don't hear us jumping on the bandwagon that they were sexist against us. You don't know whether they're sexist or not, so you can't accuse them of being sexist. End of. Otherwise, you're just making false accusations from no solid proof.
Original post by Cable
But how does that automatically mean they were sexist? I too haven't been given feedback before. You don't see me jumping on a bandwagon that they were sexist against me. I know it's frustrating not to get feedback, but stop assuming only women face this. Men face this as well. But you don't hear us jumping on the bandwagon that they were sexist against us. You don't know whether they're sexist or not, so you can't accuse them of being sexist. End of. Otherwise, you're just making false accusations from no solid proof.

In this case it was part of a long series of decisions made by management where the female involved just happened to get the short straw. If it was just me, sure, I might have shrugged it off but sooner or later you have to do SOME pattern recognition and work out what you want to do about that. If you were consistently being targeted by a manager would you go "THIS IS ALL MY FAULT!" every time, or would you eventually go "Huh, X hates me". If enough people from a particular group get poor treatment, eventually you have to go "This is about me belonging to X group".

(And for the record what I, and a lot of other women in the department, did was leave. As I mentioned before, the numbers of females in my department dropped HUGELY while I was there (over a three year period). We weren't ever going to be allowed to advance, in that company, at the same rate as the guys so we went to play elsewhere.)

edit It should also be noted that a lot of these changes took place after the company was taken over by another (foreign) company from a country which has a strong culture of women staying at home and guys working. I know you REALLY REALLY want to believe that ALL companies are utterly fair to ALL genders and anyone saying otherwise is whining, but sometimes life isn't like that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 255
The interviewers where sexist because she said they were , we must just agree with her.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 256
Okay, so you're just going to continue to go on "common sense" and "my opinion" rather than actual research? Really, google is right there.

http://www.usu.edu/saavi/pdf/myths_facts.pdf

I deliberately grabbed a university link so you couldn't complain I was using a feminist site, by the by. I can go further and start pulling out research papers if you prefer? I don't know which journals you have access to - I have NORA here.

And groping is sexual assault. Don't kid yourself otherwise. And it's dangerous because once someone's brain is going "I have the right to touch this person", "I have the right to have sex with this person" is only a short hop away.

You're missing the point. It's not about exactly why the man decides to grope. It's about who's more likely to excite him to do so. Imagine 2 women. One full clothed with burqas and another half-naked. Who is more likely to excite him to grope? Use your common sense. It's more likely to be the half-naked one. To think otherwise would be stupid. Or maybe you're not a male so you won't really know what I mean.

Now I'm not suggesting every woman should be dressed in burqas but dressing more sensibly can help. Like I said in one of my previous posts, that doesn't mean that fully dressed women aren't groped. But it's a lot more likely to happen to a half-dressed woman than a fully dressed one. It's all about chance. Just because something is likely, doesn't mean it will always happen. But the chance is there. Not every half-naked girl will be groped but the chance for it to happen is a lot greater than a girl clothed with burqas.

And like I said, there is not one accurate sample or statistics to present your case. What about all girls groped in all schools? What about all girls groped in all clubs/bars/pubs? Are all these girls and offenders included in the samples from your collection of journals? That's right. No.
Original post by Cable
You're missing the point. It's not about exactly why the man decides to grope. It's about who's more likely to excite him to do so. Imagine 2 women. One full clothed with burqas and another half-naked. Who is more likely to excite him to grope? Use your common sense. It's more likely to be the half-naked one. To think otherwise would be stupid. Or maybe you're not a male so you won't really know what I mean.

Now I'm not suggesting every woman should be dressed in burqas but dressing more sensibly can help. Like I said in one of my previous posts, that doesn't mean that fully dressed women aren't groped. But it's a lot more likely to happen to a half-dressed woman than a fully dressed one. It's all about chance. Just because something is likely, doesn't mean it will always happen. But the chance is there. Not every half-naked girl will be groped but the chance for it to happen is a lot greater than a girl clothed with burqas.

And like I said, there is not one accurate sample or statistics to present your case. What about all girls groped in all schools? What about all girls groped in all clubs/bars/pubs? Are all these girls and offenders included in the samples from your collection of journals? That's right. No.

...are you really a student? SERIOUSLY? Do you use this approach in your essays -- "no study can prove all this but common sense says this so it must be true"? Have you even LOOKED for a study or statistics?

We're STUDENTS. We're meant to be interested in opening our minds and proving what is true, not repeating commonly held conceptions of what may or may not be true. Sure, some studies won't be accurate and that is why you CITE your sources so that people can check and go "Pfft, yes, but that's from a biased source" or "Yeah, but that study only included 14 people".
Reply 258
I know you REALLY REALLY want to believe that ALL companies are utterly fair to ALL genders and anyone saying otherwise is whining, but sometimes life isn't like that.

When did I say that? I don't think all companies are fair at all. But I would not make false accusation from no solid hard PROOF. No proof, no accusation. That doesn't mean you can't be suspicious. But you can't jump to conclusions on suspicions and circumstances.

Have you not read any of previous posts to you? How many times have I told you that I have learnt about how harsh and cruel the world can be? How I have learnt to be tougher and stronger to deal with the world? Have you forgotten that? You seem so blinded by your support for feminism that you're not thinking properly about some of the things you're writing.

I don't "really really" want to believe all companies are fair. I know the world isn't fair at all. So spare me such statements.

You may have a case to believe you have been affected by discrimination against you for being a female, but there's a line between suspicions and paranoia.
Original post by Cable
When did I say that? I don't think all companies are fair at all. But I would not make false accusation from no solid hard PROOF. No proof, no accusation. That doesn't mean you can't be suspicious. But you can't jump to conclusions on suspicions and circumstances.

Have you not read any of previous posts to you? How many times have I told you that I have learnt about how harsh and cruel the world can be? How I have learnt to be tougher and stronger to deal with the world? Have you forgotten that? You seem so blinded by your support for feminism that you're not thinking properly about some of the things you're writing.

I don't "really really" want to believe all companies are fair. I know the world isn't fair at all. So spare me such statements.

You may have a case to believe you have been affected by discrimination against you for being a female, but there's a line between suspicions and paranoia.

I'm just struggling for what exactly you're wanting here. Yes, it would be nice to have stumbled across a letter which read "Dear boss, have promoted two males and not the female as according to our Grand Plan" but that's hardly likely. Eventually you have to add up what you've seen and what you know and decide what to do. What exactly WOULD you count as evidence?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending