The Student Room Group

NO idea whether to choose Nott trent or Leeds =S Need advice!

Hi guys,
I'm currently on a gap year and have received two unconditional offers for Product Design:
Nottingham Trent and Leeds. I have visited both, researched both and still have no idea which one to choose. On the one hand Leeds is more academic and 'established' But I don't like the fact that they accepted me based on grades and not artistic or creative ability ,whereas nottingham trent saw my portfolio as well. If you do either of these courses or go to either of these unis, do you enjoy uni life and/or like the course?

Thanks for your time!
Tanya

Scroll to see replies

Leeds is more respected. Better job prospects after the degree which is sort of the point.
Reply 2
Original post by barrett1987
Leeds is more respected. Better job prospects after the degree which is sort of the point.

Nope, not in Design. I dont know much about product design but Im of the opinion that all design has a lot of similarities. NTU is obviously the more creative place. They have a great graphic design course for example.

When you apply for product design jobs there gunna wanna see your portfolio. Where do you think will be better? The place that wanted to see your portfolio in the first place or the place which accept anyone no matter what their creative ability is like?
Leeds, 100 times Leeds.
depends on whether you're set for that course as a career bc if not then Leeds would look better as its more established, as others have mentioned.
Reply 5
Leeeeds everytime
Reply 6
Original post by wactm
Nope, not in Design. I dont know much about product design but Im of the opinion that all design has a lot of similarities. NTU is obviously the more creative place. They have a great graphic design course for example.

What if you want a job outside design at some point?

Mind you, I'm biased, I like leeds, they gave me an offer last year. :tongue:
Reply 7
Leeds is more respected generally, but for something vocational like Product Design ex-polys are generally better and have more industry links.
Reply 8
Thanks for your replies everyone! I decided to just go for it and accepted nottingham trent! It's just the one I was always leaning towards and think I would regret it if I didn't go there...Wherever I go it's just a case of working hard and either way i'll be able to achieve what I want =)
Original post by MissTee.Jay
Thanks for your replies everyone! I decided to just go for it and accepted nottingham trent! It's just the one I was always leaning towards and think I would regret it if I didn't go there...Wherever I go it's just a case of working hard and either way i'll be able to achieve what I want =)

a daft decision. leeds is a decent redbrick university. the other university, hard to remember its name.
Reply 10
Hi op, i have some knowledge within this area, i can say that you made the right decision. For practical art or design subjects, the league tables mean nothing. I actually went to Leeds, but would say Trent has a much better rep than Leeds-(for art/design). yes, Leeds is more academic so this could be more appealing for some. From what i've seen NTU is 'better' overall. (i went for an interview there for fine art).
Congrats!

Thanks for the neg.xx
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Depends what you want from University. Despite the debate on which would be more respected, at the end of the day a degree in Design from either would put you in a great position for your future.

If the three years of Uni itself is something you really want to get the most out of, i'd have to say Leeds - I know both places extremely well (family from Leeds, as are a lot of friends, go to NTU myself though) and I have to say Nottingham as a city has been extremely dissapointing for me. Even this year where i've been a lot more social things seem far to repetitive and just dull. Leeds is vibrant, vast and varied. It's great for everything from shopping to entertainment to nights out. I couldn't reccommend Leeds as a city more.

I have a hell of a lot of friends who go to Leeds Uni (infact, both Uni's in Leeds) and i'm yet to meet anyone who didn't or doesn't love there time there.
Reply 12
Original post by Redreynard
a daft decision. leeds is a decent redbrick university. the other university, hard to remember its name.

Such a hard name to remember that it's one of the highest for employment after graduation... Funny that.

Didn't realise you'd picked Nottingham Trent before I posted. Whilst i've just praised Leeds as a city and general university and slightly criticised Nottingham as a city, i'll not pretend it's a bad University for it's courses. Either way you were getting a Uni that'll hold you well in the future should you get a degree.
Original post by Schmucks
Such a hard name to remember that it's one of the highest for employment after graduation... Funny that.

Didn't realise you'd picked Nottingham Trent before I posted. Whilst i've just praised Leeds as a city and general university and slightly criticised Nottingham as a city, i'll not pretend it's a bad University for it's courses. Either way you were getting a Uni that'll hold you well in the future should you get a degree.

in the QS world university rankings, leeds comes in at 93. nottingham trent is nowhere to be seen.
Reply 14
in the QS world university rankings, leeds comes in at 93. nottingham trent is nowhere to be seen.

And yet, employers in England seem to rate it extremely highly.

So yeah, sorry if you're planning to get a job in Bulgaria, OP, they might not exactly know your University and write you off. Tough break.
Original post by La Esmerelda
depends on whether you're set for that course as a career bc if not then Leeds would look better as its more established, as others have mentioned.

Actually this isn't the case. The Nottingham Art and design school (now part of NTU) was established in 1843 making it one of the oldest and most established in the UK.

Why would going to a better uni (for your subject) be a daft decision?
Reply 17
Original post by Schmucks
I have to say Nottingham as a city has been extremely dissapointing for me. Even this year where i've been a lot more social things seem far to repetitive and just dull. Leeds is vibrant, vast and varied. It's great for everything from shopping to entertainment to nights out. I couldn't reccommend Leeds as a city more.

Hah, I'm from Notts but go to uni in Leeds. And I find Leeds night life so dull, complete lack of anything to do in Leeds and the shopping is surprisingly bad, I miss Notts.

Shall we swap lol!
Reply 18
Original post by barrze
Hah, I'm from Notts but go to uni in Leeds. And I find Leeds night life so dull, complete lack of anything to do in Leeds and the shopping is surprisingly bad, I miss Notts.

Shall we swap lol!

Really? I can't help but love Leeds - I guess it does help though that my family live in Leeds so I could always pop in for a visit to practically anyone or even go to watch the football, rugby or even cricket. All my teams play their games in Leeds so it's very handy. Plus, there's the Cockpit! How could anyone get bored of the Cockpit?! AND HYDE PARK! You don't know if you're coming out dead or alive! What a thrill! :P

I guess shopping is quite an individual thing though, it meets my needs but i'm not forever shopping so I guess your call could be better on that than mine! My mum is often left to her own devices in Leeds City Centre shopping whilst the rest of my family bugger off to watch football and she seems to enjoy it. I think Nottingham's quite small for shopping though!

Please tell me some places to go in Nottingham that a 'veteran' would only really know about, then, I could do with this city showing it's colour! :biggrin:
Reply 19
Outside of London, NTU is one of the top universities in the country for Art & Design related courses. So you probably made the right decision!
I'm in Leeds though, it's a great city.

Quick Reply

Latest