The Student Room Group

Failed Medicine first year but want to reapply for Medicine? Help?

Basically I failed the first year medicine exams and was forced to withdraw from medicine. I regret this, but in general I was neither happy with the university or at the course. I was very unstable during that year, and found it difficult to focus or give my full effort due to a lot of personal problems, e.g. difficult fitting in at uni, messy parent divorce etc. Might not be an excuse, and maybe I should have pulled through regardless of how I felt, but to be honest at that stage I wasn't particularly mentally strong enough to pull through. I did appeal, but it wasn't considered successful.

I took the news hard, but I've sorted my head out since then. Generally I feel a lot better than I did just after the news of failing, and during the first year of medicine course. What I needed was a year to sort my problems out. I've had that now, problem is I can't go back to do medicine now.

I'm now trying to plan my actions rationally on how I should reapply to medicine. I still want to be a doctor. I've thought about trying to reapply as a graduate. I've contacted medical schools, and most have contacted me back. A lot don't accept those who failed a medical course. I'm still trying to contact all of them, but I'd would be very appreciative if someone could tell me the medical schools that do accept people in the same position as me. I've found just 4 medical schools so far (not sure about the 4th one so much and it seems unlikely considering it's Oxford, but the other 3 are fine). I'm aware I could probably apply both as undergraduate and graduate to these medical schools, thus perhaps filling out my choices.

I've also considered applying abroad. Most abroad schools don't seem to care about this. However is it worth first doing a graduate degree before applying? I'm also worried that if I do indeed obtain a medicine degree from an abroad university, would it still be easy to work in the UK? They say it's ok, but I'm not so sure I should trust them. I'd rather have perhaps personal experience of those who have tried.

Also I would very much like views of those experienced in the medicine application process, or know of people in this situation (or are in this situation themselves). I've tried going about this mostly myself, and it's difficult to get advice to turn to. My own university generally hasn't been too helpful with this.

If anyone could give me any advice on any of this, I would be extremely grateful

Thank you,
dfjr

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know much about what you're asking, but I'd just like to say good luck to you and I'm sorry it didn't work out the first time. I think we all deserve a second chance.
Reply 2
Hmm, I have to say, I think the university's policy of not accepting failed medical students is a good one. There's a lot of us out there who would take the course very seriously and work very hard, and undoubtedly we are more deserving of a place.
Reply 3
Original post by navarre
Hmm, I have to say, I think the university's policy of not accepting failed medical students is a good one. There's a lot of us out there who would take the course very seriously and work very hard, and undoubtedly we are more deserving of a place.

Thats not very fair to say. We all go through hard phases in our lives where we have new things to deal with, and where as someone can be mentally strong and deal with personal emotional issues, others struggle. Just because this guy has gone through a hard time and let him effect his course does not mean he is undeserving. And this comes from a person who has worked their ass off to get into medical school too. We all deal with problems differently, and just because he let his personal problems get in the way of his career first time round does not mean he should not be allowed a second chance. He clearly has learnt how to handle personal problems as well as become more mentally strong, because in my opinion it takes balls to try and get back into medicine after blowing your chance first time round.

Think you deserve a second chance, but can see why they might not let you here just since its so ridiculously competitive! With the issue of working abroad, I'm afraid I don't really know much about its value and whether it will disadvantage you working in the UK, but then working abroad necessarily isn't a bad thing. In some respects it could earn you more money, nicer environments etc. So I would definitely look into that if it is going to be easier! Good luck with it all!

EDIT: For those who might argue with me, I get that being a doctor means you need to keep your personal problems aside and focus on the job and you're not meant to let them affect your ability, but it's not something you're taught. It's something you learn. Clearly this guy just learnt a bit too late. He's also realised this, so give him a break!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SimpleJane
Thats not very fair to say. We all go through hard phases in our lives where we have new things to deal with, and where as someone can be mentally strong and deal with personal emotional issues, others struggle. Just because this guy has gone through a hard time and let him effect his course does not mean he is undeserving. And this comes from a person who has worked their ass off to get into medical school too. We all deal with problems differently, and just because he let his personal problems get in the way of his career first time round does not mean he should not be allowed a second chance. He clearly has learnt how to handle personal problems as well as become more mentally strong, because in my opinion it takes balls to try and get back into medicine after blowing your chance first time round.

Think you deserve a second chance, but can see why they might not let you here just since its so ridiculously competitive! With the issue of working abroad, I'm afraid I don't really know much about its value and whether it will disadvantage you working in the UK, but then working abroad necessarily isn't a bad thing. In some respects it could earn you more money, nicer environments etc. So I would definitely look into that if it is going to be easier! Good luck with it all!

EDIT: For those who might argue with me, I get that being a doctor means you need to keep your personal problems aside and focus on the job and you're not meant to let them affect your ability, but it's not something you're taught. It's something you learn. Clearly this guy just learnt a bit too late. He's also realised this, so give him a break!

If there were more medical places, then he definetly deserves another chance.

But there are so many of us who wouldn't make that mistake in th first place- so the medical schools have the right policy.

We have enough competition as it is, without having to compete with people who didn't take it seriously the first time.
Reply 5
Original post by navarre

But there are so many of us who wouldn't make that mistake in th first place- so the medical schools have the right policy.

We have enough competition as it is, without having to compete with people who didn't take it seriously the first time.

I agree in that sense, I'm not arguing with the logic of not letting failed medics back. I get the reasoning behind it. But I just don't think he can get branded as undeserving is all :redface:
Reply 6
Original post by dfjr

I know that Manchester wouldn't consider you - it says as such on their website.

Have you appealed against your exclusion? Surely significant personal problems such as a parent's divorce would be good a enough reason to be allowed to resit the year - I know people who have failed years here at Manchester who have been allowed to retake the year for far less convincing reasons than yours.
Reply 7
Original post by navarre

Original post by navarre

Ok let's get things straight.

Your entitled to your views. I'm not making this thread to whether I deserve another chance or not. I want to apply regardless.

I did take medicine seriously. It's difficult not too. People make mistakes. I'm am in no way complaining it wasn't fair chucking me off the course.

The reason why they have adopted this sort of position is because of the limited medical places. In the past, they were willing to even allow students to re sit the year etc.

People who think Medicine students or even doctors can successfully distance their personal problems are mistaken. They may be able to get by still, but they are still like everyone else, and it's difficult for any of them not to let their personal problems affect them in any way. This is not anything to do with "not taking it seriously".

If I were to repeat my life again, I would have done another degree, then applied graduate. However I didn't forsee the problems I'd face that year, and they took me a bit by shock. I didn't handle them well.

However it is not wrong of me to consider my options now, and to ask for other people's advice. I couldn't frankly care whether you think it's a right policy or not. No reason to think any less of me, or to criticise me if I do decide to pursue this. It's my choice.
Reply 8
Original post by theatrical
I know that Manchester wouldn't consider you - it says as such on their website.

Have you appealed against your exclusion? Surely significant personal problems such as a parent's divorce would be good a enough reason to be allowed to resit the year - I know people who have failed years here at Manchester who have been allowed to retake the year for far less convincing reasons than yours.

No they weren't. I had other problems as well apart from that too. I don't wish to go into detail about them really, they'e irrelevant now. But I think they're a lot harder now on rejecting appeals than they were in the past.
Reply 9
Original post by dfjr
But I think they're a lot harder now on rejecting appeals than they were in the past.

Maybe at your medical school.

Medical schools have always been hard on pre-clinical students. Most schools have fewer places in clinicals than they have for pre-clinicals, meaning they rely on people failing or dropping out. Once you get into clinicals you have to do something pretty drastic (like fail the same year twice) to be thrown out as they have already spent so much money training you.
Seriously, how could you fail the exams. They are not exactly that difficult. I myself could easily pass them.

The hardest part about medicine is actually getting into the course.
Original post by navarre

I agree with you on that. I cannot believe that you got negative rep for this. A lot of idiots out there.
Original post by theatrical
Maybe at your medical school.

Medical schools have always been hard on pre-clinical students. Most schools have fewer places in clinicals than they have for pre-clinicals, meaning they rely on people failing or dropping out. Once you get into clinicals you have to do something pretty drastic (like fail the same year twice) to be thrown out as they have already spent so much money training you.

Maybe, but it seems a little harsh to not be allowed to resit the year. Here, resitting years is reasonably common (least 2 or 3 students per year group, with more redoing 1st year), and you have to fail the year twice to be kicked out.
Reply 13
Original post by firestar101

Seriously, how could you fail the exams. They are not exactly that difficult. I myself could easily pass them.

The hardest part about medicine is actually getting into the course.

erm despite what you think medical exams are hard. They're not incredibly easy. Half of our year failed the exams on the first attempt and had to resit. Guess it depends what uni too.
Reply 14

I agree with you on that. I cannot believe that you got negative rep for this. A lot of idiots out there.

look I don't want this to get into debate whether I deserve a second chance or not. I don't care.

What I want is any advice that could help me in how I go about this now. I don't need people judging me really, that's going to help me, nor the purpose of this thread.

As I said before, I do understand why failed students are discriminated against when reapplying. I accept it.
Original post by dfjr
look I don't want this to get into debate whether I deserve a second chance or not. I don't care.

What I want is any advice that could help me in how I go about this now. I don't need people judging me really, that's going to help me, nor the purpose of this thread.

As I said before, I do understand why failed students are discriminated against when reapplying. I accept it.

Sorry. I think your best bet is to email all the universities and see if they will accept your application, despite the fact that you failed medical school.

Also, you could apply abroad if you have the money to do so. They will not know that you were in medical school before anyway.

Or apply as a graduate. I am not sure if you would be allowed, but you should be ok, if you have a reason why you failed.

It is best to ask admissions tutors for each medical school and apply wisely.
Reply 16
I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. Maybe you should try ringing a few universities up and ask them for advice...?
Also, what medical school did you go to?
Two ways, really. Either contact universities directly requesting information, look for alternatives or both.

There are plenty of alternatives where you'll be in a respected profession, making a good wage doing things that make a measurable difference to peoples lives. In your position I'd probably take a shot at dentistry, optometry, physio etc. I know it's a hard truth to be told, but your chances at medicine are very slim indeed. Your chances of a successful, fulfilling career however are much better.

best of luck
Reply 19

Sorry. I think your best bet is to email all the universities and see if they will accept your application, despite the fact that you failed medical school.

Also, you could apply abroad if you have the money to do so. They will not know that you were in medical school before anyway.

Or apply as a graduate. I am not sure if you would be allowed, but you should be ok, if you have a reason why you failed.

It is best to ask admissions tutors for each medical school and apply wisely.

Thank you.

I've emailed medical schools already. As I've said I've found 4 medical schools who do accept in UK. Just I kind of have no experience of this situation, and was hoping maybe there are people here or medics know of others in this situation, as that can maybe help me.

I've done a lot of the steps already to go about this, but a bit of extra advice and help from others here and there doesn't hurt.

Latest

Trending

Trending