The Student Room Group

What is the easiest subject to get in for?

Scroll to see replies

I was looking, materials and chemistry were easy based on applicants to places.
Original post by Joinedup
Isn't that an assumption

The acceptance of 14 year olds into maths vs other courses is sadly a matter of fact.

The more perceptive amongst you may have noticed I've never said no-one doing maths at oxford ever had to work.

you're however saying that maths is the easiest subject to get into, aren't you? maybe for the 14 year old kid, but you clearly haven't seen anything of the oxbridge maths department not to mention the selection process for maths applicants.
The fact that a 14 year old has been accepted to read the course can be explained by him being born with a genius mind and a genuine interest in maths + hard work, so that he is able to be at the same level at maths as someone who graduated from high school, so maybe for him and him alone it wasn't particularly difficult to get into the course... because he doesn't consider the work he put in as effort or hard work but as pleasure
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by lalaberlin
you're however saying that maths is the easiest subject to get into, aren't you? maybe for the 14 year old kid, but you clearly haven't seen anything of the oxbridge maths department not to mention the selection process for maths applicants.
The fact the a 14 year old has been accepted to read the course can be explained by him being born with a genius mind and a genuine interest in maths + hard work, so that he is able to be at the same level at maths as someone who graduated from high school, so maybe for him and him alone it wasn't particularly difficult to get into the course... ebcause he doesn't consider the work he put in as effort or hard work but as pleasure

Exactly- if the same kid had loved English, was reasonably good it and worked hard for it, he would have gotten in..it doesn't mean that English is an easy subject.
Original post by therealOG
And disappointed everyone when you got a measly 2.2 :yes:

I didn't disappoint everyone :nah:
Reply 24
Original post by sherlllll
I think they're all equally difficult to get into. Classics however does have the highest applicant success rate, but then again it's more of a niche subject and is still very competitive.

Surprising. Smartest girl in the year at my school who'd won various national prizes for translating Latin verse didn't get in. I wouldn't be too taken aback if she came across as slightly smug in the interview though.
Original post by Joinedup
Isn't that an assumption

The acceptance of 14 year olds into maths vs other courses is sadly a matter of fact.

Uhh....yeah....that was sort of the point. Showing you that assuming one reason for an event is a pointless exercise when there are multiple other just as reasonable assumptions which could be made.

If you had actually been in an Oxbridge admissions thread, or talked to people applying for Math at Oxford, you would realise the vast majority of them find it incredibly difficult but enjoy it--that being the reason they applied. Just the same as any subject.

Does the fact that a few prodigies are able to do something very easily make it any easier for anyone else? If not, I'm afraid I can't quite see the point of using it as reasoning for it being the easiest to get into. Unless you meant 'Well, it's easy for a prodigy'? That seems like a fairly banal thing to say, don't you think?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I didn't disappoint everyone :nah:

Fair play :wink:
Original post by therealOG
Fair play :wink:

:awesome:
Reply 28
Original post by Sternumator
I was looking, materials and chemistry were easy based on applicants to places.

Chemistry also has the highest drop-out rate.
Reply 29
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Just out of curiosity... :smile:
What is the hardest subject aswell?

Hardest subject is definitley ACTURIAL SCIENCE, a high rate of drop out even at imperial and other top unis :/. Easiest subject I would say is business management or something.
Reply 30
Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts
Uhh....yeah....that was sort of the point. Showing you that assuming one reason for an event is a pointless exercise when there are multiple other just as reasonable assumptions which could be made.

If you had actually been in an Oxbridge admissions thread, or talked to people applying for Math at Oxford, you would realise the vast majority of them find it incredibly difficult but enjoy it--that being the reason they applied. Just the same as any subject.

Does the fact that a few prodigies are able to do something very easily make it any easier for anyone else? If not, I'm afraid I can't quite see the point of using it as reasoning for it being the easiest to get into. Unless you meant 'Well, it's easy for a prodigy'? That seems like a fairly banal thing to say, don't you think?

Yeah - but then saying "whatever you enjoy and are good at" is pretty banal imo, but seems to be something people prefer to read.

The meta-point I was trying to make is that the question in the title of this thread is poor and undeserving of serious answers...

Think the only thing we've proved is that Imsoacademic will get negrepped whatever she says.
Reply 31
Original post by Iqbal007
Hardest subject is definitley ACTURIAL SCIENCE, a high rate of drop out even at imperial and other top unis :/. Easiest subject I would say is business management or something.

Hardest & easiest subjects at Oxford.
Reply 32
Original post by BJack
Hardest & easiest subjects at Oxford.

Oh my bad
Entry for classics isn't easier because a greater proportion of applicants get in. By that logic FM is easier than Maths A level because a greater percentage get As.

Self selection :yes:

Or at least that's what they told us at the open day :redface:
Original post by medbh4805
Entry for classics isn't easier because a greater proportion of applicants get in. By that logic FM is easier than Maths A level because a greater percentage get As.

Self selection :yes:

Or at least that's what they told us at the open day :redface:

It was that Cressida woman, wasn't it?
Original post by LeSacMagique
It was that Cressida woman, wasn't it?

Yes her or possibly the tutor from Oxford. It was when they were saying that they interview virtually all Classics applicants (unless your application was really bad), because generally the standard is so high whereas in other subjects they reject a lot without interview.
None of them, every course is highly competitive and hard to get into - why wouldn't it be, it is Oxford lol.
Geography.
Reply 38
Just a hunch, but I'm guessing that the History of Art applicant pool would be a bit less competitive than Law.... :wink:

Keep in mind, though, the Oxbridge brand will only get you so far- the actual subject still matters when it comes to landing a job!
Original post by junebug32
Just a hunch, but I'm guessing that the History of Art applicant pool would be a bit less competitive than Law.... :wink:

Keep in mind, though, the Oxbridge brand will only get you so far- the actual subject still matters when it comes to landing a job!

Unless you're doing something vocational, this simply isn't true. Lots of business state that they hire from all degree disciplines.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending