The Student Room Group

Salary expectations

What can a 19 year old first jobber expect in terms of salary in london.

I have three good A levels and some relevant work experience

Scroll to see replies

£5 an hour.
Reply 2
ppp
OP
As much as you then crazycake!

Serious answers please

Original post by ppp
As much as you then crazycake!

Serious answers please

Erm, NMW for 18-20 is £4.92/hr.

He might not have been joking.
Reply 4
ppp
OP
Original post by thefish_uk
Erm, NMW for 18-20 is £4.92/hr.

He might not have been joking.

I know what the NMW is but i don't think i'll be on that in a entry level job thinking more like 18k
Reply 5
In what sector/job? Slightly too broad description.
Reply 6
ppp
OP
accountancy, insurance

Any business/ IT related sector. i know it's a bit broad but i'm not too sure what career i want to persue yet
Reply 7
Try the salary calculator on http://www.careers4u.tv/faqs/#C14
Reply 8
ppp
OP
ta
Original post by ppp
I know what the NMW is but i don't think i'll be on that in a entry level job thinking more like 18k

You can expect the minium wage though slightly more but ONLY because you live in London.
Reply 10
ppp
OP
Original post by UnknwnEntity
You can expect the minium wage though slightly more but ONLY because you live in London.

I appreciate your relply but most of the jobs i have been looking at that i would be suitable for are all 18k plus

I'm not looking to work in mcdonalds
In the current economic climate, you'd be lucky to get even minimum wage... even unpaid internships are like gold dust these days! Can't really predict the future though, so can't say how much you could expect to earn by the time you actually go into these careers.
Original post by ppp
I appreciate your relply but most of the jobs i have been looking at that i would be suitable for are all 18k plus

I'm not looking to work in mcdonalds

It's a recession, you're young, inexperienced and competing against people who may or may not have a degree but have already done the job. You will gain nothing and get nowhere being a "job snob" when there is quite plainly very little for young people.

I work as a domicillary care worker for the elderly atm, it's a stop job, I'm 20, I get £7 an hour and I class myself as VERY lucky.
Reply 13
ppp
OP
I'm well prepared to work for minimum wage not knocking it at all; just wouldn't leave hardly anything after expenses etc etc. I'm just getting worried i'm nearly 19 and getting no where with employers and i keep getting stressed thinking i will never make anything of myself. I know 19 is still young but in my eyes i need to start building a career now.
Original post by ppp
I'm well prepared to work for minimum wage not knocking it at all; just wouldn't leave hardly anything after expenses etc etc. I'm just getting worried i'm nearly 19 and getting no where with employers and i keep getting stressed thinking i will never make anything of myself. I know 19 is still young but in my eyes i need to start building a career now.

You don't need to start building a career now what BULL****. You need a job for now, get some money coming in, consider your options. Working ANWHERE is better than nowhere even for just the experience on the CV, I live at home so my expenses are minimal, is that an option for you?
Reply 15
ppp
OP
Yeah i suppose you right when would you say i need to start thinking about a career.

I think its just all my friends are in jobs with future prospects whereas i am not and feel i need to get one asap
Reply 16
ppp
OP
I do live at home but you realise how much it is to travel into london each day; over £100 a week then there is general expenses such as food and drink.

Anyway this is not really an issue i just really feel its time i got a job with future prospects
Original post by ppp
Yeah i suppose you right when would you say i need to start thinking about a career.

I think its just all my friends are in jobs with future prospects whereas i am not and feel i need to get one asap

What future prospects? Are they doing what they really want to? What is a future prospect anyway? More money? Status?

There is no right time to have a "career", only a right place.

Consider getting ANY job as an investment in said future career, a stepping stone.
Reply 18
ppp
OP
Original post by UnknwnEntity
What future prospects? Are they doing what they really want to? What is a future prospect anyway? More money? Status?

There is no right time to have a "career", only a right place.

Consider getting ANY job as an investment in said future career, a stepping stone.

I mean in terms of promotion (not a dead end job) and yes earning more money in the future so they support a family etc etc.

The way i look at it most people settle down at say 28 and you need decent money coming in to support a family and with the way i am now coming upto 18 and can't find a job with career prospects i can't see this happening.

I know not everyone does this but this is considered the norm
Original post by ppp
I mean in terms of promotion (not a dead end job) and yes earning more money in the future so they support a family etc etc.

The way i look at it most people settle down at say 28 and you need decent money coming in to support a family and with the way i am now coming upto 18 and can't find a job with career prospects i can't see this happening.

I know not everyone does this but this is considered the norm

Well if you plan to live your life under the whim of societal designation all your life I'd offset any benefits of any job.

I have no plans to ever settle down, the thought makes me quite edgy infact, I want to travel, no kids, no LTM, so perhaps my priorities are different but my perspective certainly is not. You are 17 FFS (Why did you say 19 in OP?), relax. Just get a job, any job, grind it for a year, save up, meanwhile considering your next course of action.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending