The Student Room Group

Bit of a wierd situation, your thoughts?

Basically, I get the bus everyday to college and back home on weekdays and I always prefer to sit on my own and listen to music. I tend to be quite quiet when im on the bus because I don't have a loud voice, and often I'm misheard and I have to repeat myself several times which I find annoying.
When i'm out of the bus and walk into college and in lessons etc, I'm fine and talk to people a lot. It's just on the bus that I prefer to sit on my own and listen to music, some people are saying i'm being anti-social etc...

What do you think? And does anyone else do this, or is it just me?
Just you :wink:
Reply 2
Totally normal. So long as you're not actively ignoring people! I like to just listen to my music when I'm travelling.
I do that too... it's like my alone time. If i'm alone, and have my headphones in no one will disturb me and it's just a peaceful time! Unless you get a bunch of idiots sitting at the back with their totally amazing music drowning out your own... Wanchors.
Reply 4
Last time I came across as vaguely outgoing/talkative on a bus, some lady told me about her hernia operation. I avoid it now.

Book & headphones FTW
Reply 5
Yes if I'm on my own. No if I'm with people I actually like.
Reply 6
Sometimes its a bit nicer to sit with just one headphone in or something for at least part of the journey. If you don't talk at all then I can see why someone might say that. Not saying you are being anti-social though, I do the exact same thing since at the beginning/end of the day I'm struggling to stay away anyway :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Basically, I get the bus everyday to college and back home on weekdays and I always prefer to sit on my own and listen to music. I tend to be quite quiet when im on the bus because I don't have a loud voice, and often I'm misheard and I have to repeat myself several times which I find annoying.
When i'm out of the bus and walk into college and in lessons etc, I'm fine and talk to people a lot. It's just on the bus that I prefer to sit on my own and listen to music, some people are saying i'm being anti-social etc...

What do you think? And does anyone else do this, or is it just me?

I do the same thing :/, it just makes wonder off and think about stuff like the future and dream, to forget the stress of school life. But i'm the same, like we probably just need breaks and personal space.
If the music is with headphones and not out loud, it doesn't disturb the other passengers. So even if it is a bit antisocial I don't see the problem. Nothing annoys me more than pricks with a bad taste in music playing crap out loud on the bus at max volume from tinny phone speakers.
Reply 9
where do you live? i've noticed in the north when on the bus EVERYONE and his mother wants to have a chat with you, in the south everyone sits with their headphones in
Reply 10
It's nice to be in a little bubble sometimes :smile:
If people try and talk to me I tend to take my headphones out though. I have a friend who leaves one headphone in his ear in absolutely every situation and I find it unbearably rude. It's like he can't be bothered to pay attention to anything anyone has to say.

However, headphones in on a long bus journey at the end of the day - lovely .
Reply 11
i wonder why people think about these wierd topics
If you're with your friends I would think it's a bit weird to sit there in silence but if you're with people from school you don't know/strangers it's probably a good idea to have your headphones in.
Reply 13
Original post by Wookie42
Sometimes its a bit nicer to sit with just one headphone in or something for at least part of the journey. If you don't talk at all then I can see why someone might say that. Not saying you are being anti-social though, I do the exact same thing since at the beginning/end of the day I'm struggling to stay away anyway :smile:

Yeh im the morning I dont feel like talking at all, i'm just like lemme sit on the bus and just listen to music. And when its the end of the day i'm quite tires so I just like to sit there and chill.
Reply 14
Original post by spangex
where do you live? i've noticed in the north when on the bus EVERYONE and his mother wants to have a chat with you, in the south everyone sits with their headphones in

I live in the middle haha :biggrin:
I would say anti-social
A lot of my friends do it.Catching the bus IS alone time,I do agree.
Reply 17
Original post by Carnivores
A lot of my friends do it.Catching the bus IS alone time,I do agree.

My friend that I get the bus with always goes to the back, and i don't mean to be judgmental but its where all the chavs hang out. And i just sorta feel that I dont fit in with them so I sit there with my music in. It's not like they try to make conversation with me so....
Reply 18
Original post by ilamba1
i wonder why people think about these wierd topics

I wonder what llama milk and cheese tastes like :eek:
Reply 19
I like music.

Quick Reply

Latest