The Student Room Group

What is England today?

I need to find out from students some views please.

It would be helpful for you to tell me:

1) What are stereotypical "English" characteristics? E.g. the queen, drinking tea, fish and chips.

2) What sort of things would you think of when just thinking of England generally? E.g. obesity problem, multiracial community, typical types of people i.e. chavs, preps etc.

Thanks so much for your help :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
accents, football, hearty food, royal family, pubs, drinking, shakespeare, the press's reputation, stonehenge, london bridge (plus more landmarks like those), celebrities like beckham and seb coe (ambassadors for the country) an under achieveing national football team, bad weather...I don't really know what your focus is so there is just a few random things :biggrin:
Not what I want it to be.
Reply 4
Original post by babes :)

1) What are stereotypical "English" characteristics?

Hmm, i'd say the queen, drinking tea, fish and chips etc

[QUOTE=babes [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];30633688]2) What sort of things would you think of when just thinking of England generally?

I would think about obesity problem, multiracial community, typical types of people i.e. chavs, preps etc.

[QUOTE=babes [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];30633688]Thanks so much for your help :smile:

No worries.
Reply 5
Original post by Pukhtun

I would think about obesity problem, multiracial community, typical types of people i.e. chavs, preps etc.

No worries.

lol your rubbish

Also the obesity problem, multiracial community, typical types of people i.e. chavs, preps etc.
I want to think good things of my country. So I think of the past.
Reply 8
not the country it used to be.
Reply 9
Lmao I remember when we got asked this in school for some dumb study skills day or something.

My favourite responses were:

"Loads of ****ing Asians."

And in response to British monuments:

"Birmingham Central Mosque."

:biggrin:

Miss school lol.

1) What are stereotypical "English" characteristics? E.g. the queen, drinking tea, fish and chips.

2) What sort of things would you think of when just thinking of England generally? E.g. obesity problem, multiracial community, typical types of people i.e. chavs, preps etc.

Stereotypical "English" characteristics; unemotional, sarcastic humour, intelligent, posh, non confrontational, "proper", proud, patriotic.

When I think of England; chavvy, loud, obnoxious, racist, drinking, ignorant, lazy, work shy, unhealthy, intolerant.....

and so on.
Reply 11
I think of our green fields, our weather (which is great, im never moaning about rain again when i've been in a place that never rains and is dusty as hell), the Queen, our sence of humor, expensive fags and the nanny state, ours pubs and drinking culture (which is great, dont let the NHS tell you otherwise) and the English languange, one of our greatest gifts to the world.
Reply 12
Basically all it was before, either fighting the french, or if they're not fighting the french, the welsh, scottish or irish.

The english empire has shrunk so much now that it's started dividing it's own society up into classes for lack of another country to do it in, and what's better now, they have people that aren't white emigrating from the east into britain so they can still be intolerant without having to sail half way across the world.

I'll believe enland is a tolerant nation when a black person marries into the royal family or a member of the royal family has a child with severe disabilities. It just isn't going to happen, and if it does, it's going to be covered up pretty damn fast.

You can neg me instead of providing any evidence of me being incorrect.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by MalingaTheSlinga

Whats the markings on the top left hand side of his head? Is it the Leeds United crest? Looks like it.
Part of a global community.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Whats the markings on the top left hand side of his head? Is it the Leeds United crest? Looks like it.

Yep, it is.

I hate Leeds :colonhash:
Original post by MalingaTheSlinga
Yep, it is.

I hate Leeds :colonhash:

Why?
Reply 17

What is English about drinking tea, fish and chips and the Queen?

They are all characteristics of Britain in general, I would say. They are not distinctly English.
Tolerance mixed with biggotry, intellect mixed with stupidity etc etc.
Reply 19
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
Stereotypical "English" characteristics; unemotional, sarcastic humour, intelligent, posh, non confrontational, "proper", proud, patriotic.

When I think of England; chavvy, loud, obnoxious, racist, drinking, ignorant, lazy, work shy, unhealthy, intolerant.....

and so on.

Agreed :sigh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending