The Student Room Group

Two Questions about German (Film and Books)

Hey people

I am currently learning German and have decided to buy some german versions of books i've read but am a bit at a loss for where to begin with them. I can understand a number of words here and there but there are lots I can't and I don't know how effective just ending up reading the same first few pages will be until I know all the words on them.

Has anyone got any tips or plans they had for doing with this ? ?
If so I will be very grateful.

My film related question is one of less importance and just more curiousity.

While listening to The Lord Of The Rings films in German I'm wondering why they decided to change bilbo's and frodo's surname from baggins to (boidlick) [phonectic sound]

I'd understand if it was a literal translation but as it is a name a little warrant to need to do so.

Any way thanks for whatever comments appear
Jacob Datz
Reply 1
Not too sure on the book related question, but maybe a parallel text book would be useful?

Names are sometimes changed because of either difficulties with pronunciation or to fit in better with the target culture.
@OP How long have you been learning German? I've been doing it for 7 years (God I feel old) and only recently have I been able to read the german version of books by Jacqueline wilson/J.K Rowling and the like, although, how much that is down to the fact quite a lot of it is written in the imperfect tense, and thats something I didnt learn until xmas...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by .snowflake.
@OP How long have you been learning German? I've been doing it for 7 years (God I feel old) and only recently have I been able to read the german version of books by Jacqueline wilson/J.K Rowling and the like, although, how much that is down to the fact quite a lot of it is written in the imperfect tense, and thats something I didnt learn until xmas...

I have been teaching myself since the beginning of last summer and since september have been on an extra course at my uni for german (2 hours once a week)
I understand I shouldn't expect miracles was just wondering if there is effective way to gain from reading german texts and stuff
I'd say the books i've got a pretty low standard beginner stuff (darren shan vampire series)

Also thanks for commenting
Reply 4
Original post by Jacobdatz
While listening to The Lord Of The Rings films in German I'm wondering why they decided to change bilbo's and frodo's surname from baggins to (boidlick) [phonectic sound]

I'd understand if it was a literal translation but as it is a name a little warrant to need to do so.

Any way thanks for whatever comments appear
Jacob Datz

It's 'Beutlin'.:smile: As far as I understand, it's an attempt at an approximate translation (because 'Beutel' = bag). And in all fairness, the first German translation was done at some point during the 1960s, and because it has such a cult following, no new translator has dared to change fundamental things like that.

Proper names which are evocative of certain 'real' words often do end up getting translated, though, even today. For example, most of the proper names of characters, places or wizardy items in Harry Potter books are different in the German editions.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply