A2 Options for Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by colabottles
:facepalm:

This.
Reply 21
Original post by SteveCrain
Not for medicine I wouldn't

Who are you? Have you achieved anything with your life? Do you have any talents?

More importantly, do you even know me? No, so why are you trying to crack dead jokes on the internet acting like you're somebody?

I probably have more qualifications than you already.

"Pliable schoolchildren"? Really? Is that your attempt to patronise me, for being 16, over the internet? Funny guy. Top stuff.
Reply 22

Without being pretentious, I know I'm capable of getting into Oxford, and I personally feel going to Bristol/Sheffield/Cardiff Uni for Medicine would be an underachievement.

Bull****.

A hell of a lot of people are capable of getting into Oxford, and about 10% of them get anywhere near. Don't think just because you're applying there you have an even remotely good chance of getting in. I know several people with 4 A*s at A2 and a perfect PS/reference and weeks of work experience to not even get an interview, even though you seem to be so pretentious and stuck-up you might fit in.

Secondly, Bristol is an AMAZING medical school, and you seem to misunderstand the concept of MEDICAL school. There are NO BAD ONES. period. Because that would mean they produced bad doctors, which doesn't help anyone.

I seriously pity and patients you may eventually have if you think you're better than some of the best universities for one of the most competitive courses. if you get anywhere near that stage.

To answer your question, drop further maths. They really couldn't care less.
Reply 23
don't bother with accelerated maths? better to have full Alevels.
Oh and I don't see why universities haven't figured out it can be alot easier to do maths,further maths & physics than say maths,biology,english.
As if the candidate is naturally good at maths then those subjects overlap and in my opinion require less work.
Reply 24
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
This.

Yes, I want to apply to Oxford, yes, I want to do medicine, have I done something wrong?
Reply 25
For F1 posts the university isn't shown. I think.
Reply 26
Original post by Newbie123
Yeah sure, I'll suck you off if you actually know what you're talking about, i.e. first-hand experience, until then you're just gonna have to suck it yourself mate.
First hand experience of oral sex? No drama :wink:
How ever much a small advantage you get from doing four A levels will be not worth the massive amount of extra effort compared to being able to focus on your other subjects yourself. (In my opinion) Finish your maths A level next January, then your Biology/Chemistry in June for your three A levels, and drop English Literature at AS. Work hard for preparing for the BMAT and possibly UKCAT depending on the other universities you apply to.
As for your decision to apply to 'top' universities, do it if you'd prefer the course and facilities, not based upon perceived prestige of that university. A degree in medicine will get you the exact same opportunities whatever university you went to. Also, Oxford isn't the most competitive university for medicine (neither is Cambridge), in fact according to 2010 entry statistics Bristol was over twice as competitive than Oxford.

Edit: Also you're ignoring Renal because he apparently doesn't have any first hand experience, despite the fact he is an actual doctor :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
Yes, I want to apply to Oxford, yes, I want to do medicine, have I done something wrong?

There's nothing wrong with wanting to apply to Oxford Medical School.

You just come across as both misinformed and fairly obnoxious. I mean this in the nicest possible way (I'm not trying to be an internet toughguy) it's just not an endearing attitude.

Original post by Reck16
even though you seem to be so pretentious and stuck-up you might fit in.

I have actually found that it's only the gunner applicants who are the stuck-up ones, the people I know who are actually going to Oxbridge are the exact opposite of pretentious and stuck-up.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Reck16
Without being pretentious, I know I'm capable of getting into Oxford, and I personally feel going to Bristol/Sheffield/Cardiff Uni for Medicine would be an underachievement.

Bull****.

A hell of a lot of people are capable of getting into Oxford, and about 10% of them get anywhere near. Don't think just because you're applying there you have an even remotely good chance of getting in. I know several people with 4 A*s at A2 and a perfect PS/reference and weeks of work experience to not even get an interview, even though you seem to be so pretentious and stuck-up you might fit in.

Secondly, Bristol is an AMAZING medical school, and you seem to misunderstand the concept of MEDICAL school. There are NO BAD ONES. period. Because that would mean they produced bad doctors, which doesn't help anyone.

I seriously pity and patients you may eventually have if you think you're better than some of the best universities for one of the most competitive courses. if you get anywhere near that stage.

To answer your question, drop further maths. They really couldn't care less.

Ok, firstly, actually thank you for answering the question.

How is saying that I'm "capable" of getting into Oxford pretentious? How is saying that I would like to apply to Oxford pretentious? Did I say I will get in? Did I say I'm the smartest human being to have ever lived? WTF? I'm not being pretentious.

You don't know me or my academic record for all you know I could be an absolute imbecile with 10 C's at GCSE, or I could be a ****ing genius with 225245536 A*'s at GCSE alogn with a host of other BS credentials.

Bristol is a good university, but for medicine it is not an excellent one, obviously I've never studied there ergo, I'm basing this on sources from uni rankings etc.

Of course there are no BAD universities, but there certainly are "average" unis for medicine.

If you must know, my family of three (incl. me) are pretty poor, we're first generation immigrants here and education is pretty much the only ****ing way I'm going to earn a living, and I'm not your average straight B's and C's student, so shut up unless you're going to give me advice to help me.
Reply 30
Who are you? Have you achieved anything with your life? Do you have any talents?

More importantly, do you even know me? No, so why are you trying to crack dead jokes on the internet acting like you're somebody?

I probably have more qualifications than you already.

"Pliable schoolchildren"? Really? Is that your attempt to patronise me, for being 16, over the internet? Funny guy. Top stuff.

I am Steven, hello. I have achieved a fair bit more than you in the same number of years, contributing to which achievements is the knowledge that medical schools are more or less plateaued as regards which is best.
Do I have talents? No, not really. Sorry. And if I do humour isn't one of them, so in whatever you're interpreting as dead jokes, you are wrong; imagine them said in a most serious manner.

If by more qualifications you mean more GCSEs or grades on the Hornet, I don't give a ****.

You act as though my attempt to partronise you didn't work?

I really shouldn't have said anything, so you, and others like you would apply, come next UCAS, to the "best medical schools", and leave the ****ty ones to underachievers like me.
Reply 31
Hello, I'm currently a L6 Student studying A-Levels in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and English Literature.

I would like to apply for Medicine at top uni's, first choice Oxford, second choice Imperial etc.. However I have a dilemma as to A2 choices, as I am presently in an accelerated Maths class (did C1 in Year 11, did C2 & M1 in Jan 2011 and doing C3 & S1 in May).

Option 1: Drop Eng Lit. and stay on in my accelerated Maths class which includes AS Further Maths as part of the course. However English Literature is something I enjoy.

Option 2: Drop Acc. Maths and just do C4 in January, effectively completing full A-Level in Maths (no Maths exams in summer 2012), then just focus on Bio, Chem and Eng Lit.. However, I wonder if doing Eng Lit. exams AND Science exams would be a bit of a mismatch?

Option 3: Drop Eng Lit. and drop Acc. Maths, thus leaving me with just Biology & Chemistry examinations in summer 2012. Easiest option.

The problem is, my school's head of Sixth Form, who handles all UCAS applications, advised me that the aforementioned option 3 would make me seem "lazy" to top universities, who are generally looking for students who can prove they're capable of handling intensive workloads.

The main decision I need help on is Accelerated Maths (Single Maths PLUS AS Further Maths) VS. English Lit. Neither are compulsory for Medicine, I understand. My best subject is Maths, closely followed by English Lit.

Would an A/A* grade in English Literature, although not compulsory, demonstrate diversity or would it just be dismissed by admissions tutors as irrelevant?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Hi there, I feel that I should inform you that entering Med School is really not that much about your A-Levels choices, but your BMAT, PS, UKCAT and most importantly the interview.

On other matters, I truly don't understand why TSR medics always go out of their way to play down Oxford's/Cambridge's prestige!Why do you have to be so offensive! Perhaps there might not be a way to quantify the level of teaching for medicine courses between non-oxbridge and oxbridge, but surely you all must understand that there are many who would enjoy studying in those 2 great universities!

OP, perhaps Oxbridge might be better, perhaps it might not, but whatever you do, understand that your own reasons are the ones that matter. Do what you want to do.
Reply 32
Original post by Normandy114
How ever much a small advantage you get from doing four A levels will be not worth the massive amount of extra effort compared to being able to focus on your other subjects yourself. (In my opinion) Finish your maths A level next January, then your Biology/Chemistry in June for your three A levels, and drop English Literature at AS. Work hard for preparing for the BMAT and possibly UKCAT depending on the other universities you apply to.
As for your decision to apply to 'top' universities, do it if you'd prefer the course and facilities, not based upon perceived prestige of that university. A degree in medicine will get you the exact same opportunities whatever university you went to. Also, Oxford isn't the most competitive university for medicine (neither is Cambridge), in fact according to 2010 entry statistics Bristol was over twice as competitive than Oxford.

Edit: Also you're ignoring Renal because he apparently doesn't have any first hand experience, despite the fact he is an actual doctor :rolleyes:

Thanks for an actual answer.

I'm not ignoring Renal, I just said that unless he's going to help me with some valid information, rather than suggesting I give him a blowjob, he should just not bother replying.
Reply 33
Ok, firstly, actually thank you for answering the question.

How is saying that I'm "capable" of getting into Oxford pretentious? How is saying that I would like to apply to Oxford pretentious? Did I say I will get in? Did I say I'm the smartest human being to have ever lived? WTF? I'm not being pretentious.

You don't know me or my academic record for all you know I could be an absolute imbecile with 10 C's at GCSE, or I could be a ****ing genius with 225245536 A*'s at GCSE alogn with a host of other BS credentials.

Bristol is a good university, but for medicine it is not an excellent one, obviously I've never studied there ergo, I'm basing this on sources from uni rankings etc.

Of course there are no BAD universities, but there certainly are "average" unis for medicine.

If you must know, my family of three (incl. me) are pretty poor, we're first generation immigrants here and education is pretty much the only ****ing way I'm going to earn a living, and I'm not your average straight B's and C's student, so shut up unless you're going to give me advice to help me.

Don't choose your university on rankings. Surely choose it on course structure, PBL, lectures etc? location.
Reply 34
That's not really a valid point, is it? "Prestige" as you say, doesn't arise from nowhere, and I would like to be in the best possible learning environment for the duration of my university education, I don't think I deserve to be judged by strangers on the internet for saying I want to apply to a "top" uni.

"There's not really any `top` unis for medicine."

Then why do rankings exist? Why is Oxford held in higher regard by applicants and employers as a better university than Lincoln University? I'm sure the courses at Kingston Uni etc. will have courses with a lighter workload, which I'd prefer, but it doesn't mean I'd want to go there.

Do you really think that I'm naive enough to not even have looked at what the Medicine course at Oxford (arguably one of the most competitive in the world) entails?

Is it really so bad that I would like to make the most of the exorbitent tuition fees that I'm obliged to pay? Give me a break.

You live up to your name Newbie. You are grossly underestimating how difficult it is to get into the unis you want. I made similar mistakes in my first year of applying, and trust me when I say, if someone gives u conflicting advice on TSR, and they have "xxx university medic", chances are they know more about the system than you do. Take their advice.

In bold, unfortunately you seem to be incredibly naive about applying for medicine. Do your research properly, because your attitude shows you haven't.
EDIT: So i've read through some of your replies on this thread, and you seem very arrogant that what you think is right and everyone else is wrong. With this attitude I can guarantee you 4 rejections for medical school. Change your attitude, make yourself a blank slate, forget what people say about prestige, etc. etc. especially for medicine it matters very little what university you go to, other than massaging your own ego when you mention it. Do your research. I can't stress this enough. You must know how the whole system works if you are to have a chance of getting in ANYWHERE, let alone oxford.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by SteveCrain
I am Steven, hello. I have achieved a fair bit more than you in the same number of years, contributing to which achievements is the knowledge that medical schools are more or less plateaued as regards which is best.
Do I have talents? No, not really. Sorry. And if I do humour isn't one of them, so in whatever you're interpreting as dead jokes, you are wrong; imagine them said in a most serious manner.

If by more qualifications you mean more GCSEs or grades on the Hornet, I don't give a ****.

You act as though my attempt to partronise you didn't work?

I really shouldn't have said anything, so you, and others like you would apply, come next UCAS, to the "best medical schools", and leave the ****ty ones to underachievers like me.

Ahoy Steven,

When I said I probably have more qualifications than you, I meant that I, at 16, PROBABLY am doing better in life (academically, sports, socially etc.) than you, when you were 16 (you could be 16 right now, I don't know).

Unfortunately I have yet to master the wondrous Hornet.

Your attempt to patronise me did not work, because I have no idea who you are, apart from the fact you are Steven. The fact that you described me as a "schoolchild" did not have its desired effect, as I fully acknowledge the fact that I'm currently a student, after all it'd be rather superfluous to describe me a "schoolman" now wouldn't it?

I see your grasp on the concept of sarcasm is sound. BTW, who are you quoting "best medical schools" from?
Reply 36
Thanks for an actual answer.

I'm not ignoring Renal, I just said that unless he's going to help me with some valid information, rather than suggesting I give him a blowjob, he should just not bother replying.
But where's the fun in that?

You've been given plenty of advice and you've been an ungrateful cock about it.
Reply 37
Original post by qasman
You live up to your name Newbie. You are grossly underestimating how difficult it is to get into the unis you want. I made similar mistakes in my first year of applying, and trust me when I say, if someone gives u conflicting advice on TSR, and they have "xxx university medic", chances are they know more about the system than you do. Take their advice.

In bold, unfortunately you seem to be incredibly naive about applying for medicine. Do your research properly, because your attitude shows you haven't.

What attitude? I don't understand how so many of you have somehow deduced that I'm being brash and obnoxious simply from my writing? A computer screen can't display emotions(?)

My older brother went through a lot of difficulty with respect to UCAS applications (he currently attends LSE for Law), including having to resit A2's, deferred entry etc. He also had to do an aptitude test, LNAT, and he was an Oxford reject, so I do fully understand the difficulty of even attempting to get into Oxbridge.
Reply 38

I meant that I, at 16, PROBABLY am doing better in life (academically, sports, socially etc.) than you, when you were 16 (you could be 16 right now, I don't know).

??

I'm quoting "the best medical school" from any one of those hundreds of misinformed students whose ideas you share in.
I am in the same year as you; I will send you a list of the places where I want to study medicine if you promise not to apply there?
Original post by qasman

EDIT: So i've read through some of your replies on this thread, and you seem very arrogant that what you think is right and everyone else is wrong. With this attitude I can guarantee you 4 rejections for medical school. Change your attitude, make yourself a blank slate, forget what people say about prestige, etc. etc. especially for medicine it matters very little what university you go to, other than massaging your own ego when you mention it. Do your research. I can't stress this enough. You must know how the whole system works if you are to have a chance of getting in ANYWHERE, let alone oxford.

This was implied, but thanks for telling it how it is. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending