The Student Room Group

A2 Options for Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Renal
But where's the fun in that?

You've been given plenty of advice and you've been an ungrateful cock about it.

Dr. Renal,

Could you please clarify on just how I've expressed my supposed ingratitude?

I've actually said thanks to people who are answering my initial query...

Do you have a personal vendetta against me? Have I insulted you in some way? Have I hurt your loved ones? If not, what's your problem with me you huge prick. GTFO
Reply 41
Original post by Newbie123
If a potential employer were to pick between two identical job candidates, with the only difference being that one was educated at Sheffield Uni and one was educated at Oxford (both with 1st class degrees), no matter what you may believe, I'm pretty certain that the latter would get the job.

I've considered the prospect of Oxford very carefully for 2 or 3 years now, and its an informed decision to apply, so please don't think I'm an over-ambitious idiot who only sees the name and fails to see anything else.

Without being pretentious, I know I'm capable of getting into Oxford, and I personally feel going to Bristol/Sheffield/Cardiff Uni for Medicine would be an underachievement. I visited Christ Church College in Oxford when I was about 12 and after sufficient research have decided that is where I want to attend.

So enough advice about where I should study Medicine, right now I would like some guidance on A2 choices.

1. Please take our advice for the love of God, we're the one's who've been through the system, you haven't. Don't waste our experience by insulting us.

2. Could you explain why you think you could get into Oxford? I need to know your reasoning.

3. Forget the A2 choices, you have very little information on medical applications. IMO drop the eng lit, 4 a levels aren't an advantage over 3, and focus on getting your research done
Reply 42
Dr. Renal,

Could you please clarify on just how I've expressed my supposed ingratitude?

I've actually said thanks to people who are answering my initial query...

Do you have a personal vendetta against me? Have I insulted you in some way? Have I hurt your loved ones? If not, what's your problem with me you huge prick. GTFO

You know guys, we could just NOT help someone who acts immature and starts dissing everyone who's trying to help him...
Reply 43
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
This was implied, but thanks for telling it how it is. :tongue:

The guy doesn't seem to know much about the application process, had to be direct
Reply 44
Hello, I'm currently a L6 Student studying A-Levels in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and English Literature.

I would like to apply for Medicine at top uni's, first choice Oxford, second choice Imperial etc.. However I have a dilemma as to A2 choices, as I am presently in an accelerated Maths class (did C1 in Year 11, did C2 & M1 in Jan 2011 and doing C3 & S1 in May).

Option 1: Drop Eng Lit. and stay on in my accelerated Maths class which includes AS Further Maths as part of the course. However English Literature is something I enjoy.

Option 2: Drop Acc. Maths and just do C4 in January, effectively completing full A-Level in Maths (no Maths exams in summer 2012), then just focus on Bio, Chem and Eng Lit.. However, I wonder if doing Eng Lit. exams AND Science exams would be a bit of a mismatch?

Option 3: Drop Eng Lit. and drop Acc. Maths, thus leaving me with just Biology & Chemistry examinations in summer 2012. Easiest option.

The problem is, my school's head of Sixth Form, who handles all UCAS applications, advised me that the aforementioned option 3 would make me seem "lazy" to top universities, who are generally looking for students who can prove they're capable of handling intensive workloads.

The main decision I need help on is Accelerated Maths (Single Maths PLUS AS Further Maths) VS. English Lit. Neither are compulsory for Medicine, I understand. My best subject is Maths, closely followed by English Lit.

Would an A/A* grade in English Literature, although not compulsory, demonstrate diversity or would it just be dismissed by admissions tutors as irrelevant?

Thanks in advance :smile:

You need 3 A2's anyway, option 3 i think is best :smile: and have yout thought about UCL there really good for medicine, plus make syre to get plenty of work experience like a months worth of afterscghool helping out somewhere to do with medicine.
Reply 45
Original post by SteveCrain

I'm quoting "the best medical school" from any one of those hundreds of misinformed students whose ideas you share in.
I am in the same year as you; I will send you a list of the places where I want to study medicine if you promise not to apply there?

Well, I expected that kind of response, anything I say, you're just going to say I'm lying. I'm not 6ft 4, I'm 5ft 10. I'm not an Olympic powerlifter, I actually play Rugby and football (Openside Flanker for rugby, Fullback/defensive mid for footie). I don't think I'm overweight, and I don't need glasses.

Alright, so you're roughly in the same situation as me. So, what's your problem with me? I can't really express emotions through a computer but right now I'm feeling confused as to how you can dislike me simply because you don't like the way I type???

Right now, I'm trying to be as mature as possible, using correct grammar, not using text speak, I'm not even calling you names, just wondering why you hate me so much.
Reply 46
Original post by Iqbal007
You need 3 A2's anyway, option 3 i think is best :smile: and have yout thought about UCL there really good for medicine, plus make syre to get plenty of work experience like a months worth of afterscghool helping out somewhere to do with medicine.

Yeah, that's what I would do but like I said my Head of 6th Form says that would be a bit of a cop out.
Reply 47
What attitude? I don't understand how so many of you have somehow deduced that I'm being brash and obnoxious simply from my writing? A computer screen can't display emotions(?)

My older brother went through a lot of difficulty with respect to UCAS applications (he currently attends LSE for Law), including having to resit A2's, deferred entry etc. He also had to do an aptitude test, LNAT, and he was an Oxford reject, so I do fully understand the difficulty of even attempting to get into Oxbridge.

Calling people pricks, saying you're good enough for Oxford, battling with someone over who's life was better at 16.

I think everyone will agree with me when I say that by what you've said, you don't actually seem to know much at all about the applications process, let alone the stuff required to get you into oxbridge
Reply 48
x

Simple forum-mob-effect. When somebody says something as taboo as "going to Medical Schools X, Y and Z would be an underachievement" everybody has to jump in.
Reply 49
Original post by qasman

1. Please take our advice for the love of God, we're the one's who've been through the system, you haven't. Don't waste our experience by insulting us.

2. Could you explain why you think you could get into Oxford? I need to know your reasoning.

3. Forget the A2 choices, you have very little information on medical applications. IMO drop the eng lit, 4 a levels aren't an advantage over 3, and focus on getting your research done

1. Mate, I'm not "dissing" everyone who's trying to help me, lol, all I said was I didn't want to suck Renal's cock. Which is fair enough right? I just want some help with my A2 choices. Like I said, through my brother, mates, lectures from admissions tutors, and some individual research I do have some understanding of how the UCAS system works.

2. Well, if I say I'm intelligent, you'll say I'm being arrogant (because I can't prove it over the internet), If I say "because I really want to", you'll say I'm not intelligent enough. This question's a lose-lose situation.

3. Seriously? How could you possibly know what I know/don't know? I'm not going to act as if I created UCAS or anything, but I've had several lectures by admissions tutors from various unis, discussed the issue with family, friends, people in the year above, so I do know how the system works.
What an arrogant fool.
Reply 51
Original post by qasman
Calling people pricks, saying you're good enough for Oxford, battling with someone over who's life was better at 16.

I think everyone will agree with me when I say that by what you've said, you don't actually seem to know much at all about the applications process, let alone the stuff required to get you into oxbridge

OK, so you keep saying I don't know what it takes to apply to a university. So you want me to prove that I know something (if anything) right?

Here's how I think an application works for medicine:

1. Work experience, preferrably clinical roles at hospitals, shadowing a consultant etc.

2. A good Personal Statement specifically regarding medicine, as well as discussing individual experiences and how they're relevant etc.

3. Reference from subject teachers + form tutor

4. Aptitude tests if required, BMAT, UKCAT etc.

5. Hand it all in, with your 4 uni choices, if its a collegiate uni, you either make an open application or specify a college, by October/November of your Upper 6th year.

6. If your application is successful, you get an interview (assuming the uni does interviews).

7. If you are successful in all stages of interviewing, you receive a conditional offer, varying from uni to uni.

8. Sit A2's, if you get the grades, you're in.

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?
Yeah, that's what I would do but like I said my Head of 6th Form says that would be a bit of a cop out.

with respect, i think your head of sixth form is wrong. med schools generally only look at a levels as a formality, as long as your predicted grades and subjects make the minimum requirements, you're over that hurdle.

seriously, just focus on three, and get the rest of your work experience, admissions tests and stuff down, it carries equal, if not more weighting! :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by Evanesyne
What an arrogant fool.

Really? You're just going to chip in your valuable two pence worth? Thanks, really just thanks, because your opinion is so important to me.

FFS, have you met me or something? You can't say I'm arrogant or stupid if you've never encountered me in real life.

Just shut up. I'm not going to call you names saying this & that. Just shut up.
Reply 54
Original post by periwinkle304
with respect, i think your head of sixth form is wrong. med schools generally only look at a levels as a formality, as long as your predicted grades and subjects make the minimum requirements, you're over that hurdle.

seriously, just focus on three, and get the rest of your work experience, admissions tests and stuff down, it carries equal, if not more weighting! :smile:

I guess its better to focus on 3 rather than trying to do everything.

Ty
1. Work experience, preferrably clinical roles at hospitals, shadowing a consultant etc.

2. A good Personal Statement specifically regarding medicine, as well as discussing individual experiences and how they're relevant etc.

Just saying, you may want to rethink some of the finer points of these 2.
Original post by honoris
For F1 posts the university isn't shown. I think.

The people who decide if you get the job don't see what uni it is (I believe it is blacked out), but it does go on the form :smile:
Really? You're just going to chip in your valuable two pence worth? Thanks, really just thanks, because your opinion is so important to me.

FFS, have you met me or something? You can't say I'm arrogant or stupid if you've never encountered me in real life.

Just shut up. I'm not going to call you names saying this & that. Just shut up.

If you want to avoid the sort of hostility you're getting, I'd advise you abandon this thread and just lurk the medicine forum for a bit longer. A lot of the stuff you're getting attacked about are the main misconceptions that get dealt with here a lot, the debates about prestige with medicine and 4+ A Levels are done to death here, hence the frustration people are having.
Lmfao, I love TSR.
Reply 59
Original post by Normandy114
If you want to avoid the sort of hostility you're getting, I'd advise you abandon this thread and just lurk the medicine forum for a bit longer. A lot of the stuff you're getting attacked about are the main misconceptions that get dealt with here a lot, the debates about prestige with medicine and 4+ A Levels are done to death here, hence the frustration people are having.

Well as you can tell from my username I'm not exactly a "veteran" TSR user. I was just asking for some opinions on stuff, didn't know so many random people were going to jump down my throat and call me pretentious/stupid etc. just for having some aspirations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending