The Student Room Group

Vegetarians...

Saw an episode of Come dine with me earlier and it got me thinking; anyone else notice the majority of "vegetarians" our age (17-23) are usually females just merely trying to be hip/cool/different? With completely retarded reasons for being vegetarian, such as "we don't have a necessary enzyme that digests meat" and "killing animals is wrong", all the while wearing leather and more often that not eating fish "because they're not as smart".

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -Invidious-
Saw an episode of Come dine with me earlier and it got me thinking; anyone else notice the majority of "vegetarians" our age (17-23) are usually females just merely trying to be hip/cool/different? With completely retarded reasons for being vegetarian, such as "we don't have a necessary enzyme that digests meat" and "killing animals is wrong", all the while wearing leather and more often that not eating fish "because they're not as smart".

Being vegetarian is just a dietary choice. There's honestly nothing cool or revolutionary about it.
Reply 2

Must be a skill being able to know every veggie in the country and their reasons for it.

I agree, have a friend who claims to be a vegetarian because meat farming damages the environment, but he still eats cod because his mum tells him to. Moron.
I don't like meat so I don't eat it, haven't done for about 7 years. Pretty simple.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
been a veggie all my life. Never tried meat and never had the desire too. So no, I'm not trying to be cool or different
Original post by tillytots
been a veggie all my life. Never tried meat and never had the desire too. So no, I'm not trying to be cool or different

Try it and then, I don't see why you would deprive yourself of the joys of a bacon sandwich.
I don't like meat and don't see why I should even eat another animal when I have the choice not to.

I don't stuff it down anyone elses throat. I cook meat for my family/boyfriend all the time and I identify myself loosely as a vegetarian. I find people like you just as annoying as I find self-righteous vegetarians and misguided vegetarians. But then I realise that it's my birthday in 2 months, harry potter is coming out this summer, I have bangin' tits and we're all going to die anyway so it doesn't matter.

Who cares. I like come dine with me though. I'd steam Dave Lamb's meat any day.
Reply 8

this

I actually don't like being vegetarian, I feel like I'm missing out on so many flavours (I love having new experiences) and generally restricting myself,

sadly having never had meat it's like a massive psychological block?

Slowly trying introduce it but its taking a while :redface:
Reply 9
Meh... each to their own.

So long as they don't shove their beliefs in my face by looking down on me when I order the rack of ribs in the Harvester I am quite content for them to eat or not to eat whatever the hell they want.
Next you will be saying there's such a thing as vegetarian vampires...:curious:
Original post by lekky
this

I actually don't like being vegetarian, I feel like I'm missing out on so many flavours (I love having new experiences) and generally restricting myself,

sadly having never had meat it's like a massive psychological block?

Slowly trying introduce it but its taking a while :redface:

Haha, everytime someone shows me meat or asks if I'd like to try it, I just can't bring myself to try it.

Slightly off topic, but out of curiosity do you eat 'fake meat' (quorn chicken etc ) ? I know a lot of 'new' vegetarians as such who seem to live on it, but I've noticed it seems to be not as common in us life longs....
Reply 12
Haha, everytime someone shows me meat or asks if I'd like to try it, I just can't bring myself to try it.

Slightly off topic, but out of curiosity do you eat 'fake meat' (quorn chicken etc ) ? I know a lot of 'new' vegetarians as such who seem to live on it, but I've noticed it seems to be not as common in us life longs....

no not really, I use the mince in like spag bog & stuff but that's about it
if I think maybe I'm not getting enough protein I'll stick the quorn pieces into fajita wraps too but normally I just prefer the veggies :smile:

linda mcartney sausages are OM NOM NOM though
even though they haven't actually got quorn in..

I just don't miss meat, and don't even see it as a food group when I look at like, like I don't connect it with flavour and nourishment in my head as I would if I was looking at a potato/apple/bag of crisps
(edited 13 years ago)
Great questions! I'd like to know the answer to these as well. :smile:
Reply 14
I like how all the veg responses are from girls, confirming the OPs assertions.

Cue 'theres too much love' with, 'ZOMG IF YOU'RE EATING FISH YOURE NOT A VEGETARIAN!!11!!1':fuhrer:
Original post by ipulledhermione
I don't like meat and don't see why I should even eat another animal when I have the choice not to.

I don't stuff it down anyone elses throat. I cook meat for my family/boyfriend all the time and I identify myself loosely as a vegetarian. I find people like you just as annoying as I find self-righteous vegetarians and misguided vegetarians. But then I realise that it's my birthday in 2 months, harry potter is coming out this summer, I have bangin' tits and we're all going to die anyway so it doesn't matter.
Who cares. I like come dine with me though. I'd steam Dave Lamb's meat any day.

Best thing i've ever read ever.
Reply 16
I actually know more male vegetarians than female.

Although I haven't spent any time in the UK, I find it hard to believe that most vegetarians are female and their reasoning is "retarded". I'm sure there are many hypocrites out there generally speaking with not enough knowledge to fuel their dietary preferences, but that can't possibly apply to everyone who is a vegetarian. Those that eat fish and not meat are pescetarian. Wearing leather is not something that vegetarians are against, people opposed to that are vegans. (Vegans are people that don't consume animals, will not consume anything that comes from an animal, and won't wear/buy products made from animals.)

Please bare in mind there are many reasons for people to be vegetarian, and quite a few of them make sense, unlike "we don't have the necessary enzyme that digests meat". Where did you hear that? It makes no sense biologically speaking from the mere point that we are omnivores. Also, there are 8-10 essential amino acids (amino acids build proteins). Some of the essential amino acids come from animals, so that reasoning is completely nonsensical. It makes me wonder if you really heard that somewhere of if you're pulling **** out of your ass. I don't mean to sound rude, but it's such a ridiculous statement.
Reply 18
I hate vegetarians because they are different from me and they dont follow my beliefs. I think they should get out my country.
Reply 19
Original post by lilnikkita
Please bare in mind there are many reasons for people to be vegetarian, and quite a few of them make sense, unlike "we don't have the necessary enzyme that digests meat". Where did you hear that? It makes no sense biologically speaking from the mere point that we are omnivores. Also, there are 8-10 essential amino acids (amino acids build proteins). Some of the essential amino acids come from animals, so that reasoning is completely nonsensical. It makes me wonder if you really heard that somewhere of if you're pulling **** out of your ass. I don't mean to sound rude, but it's such a ridiculous statement.

Actually, it makes perfect sense. Do some research and you'll see. For instance, vegetarians who have been so for a long enough period of time lose the ability to digest meat, as we stop producing the enzyme, which some people shows that we only produce it because we eat meat, not because we are supposed to eat meat. There's a wealth of research out there on the topic, showing how eating meat is bad for us because we can't digest it properly; how it is linked to osteoperosis, cancer, heart disease and strokes; how we are, apparently, actually herbivores not omnivores.

As for the amino-acids, etc. we can get those elsewhere. That all being said, the healthiest diet, sans supplements, is actually pescetarianism, so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending