The Student Room Group

what should i do? (medicine all rejections)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alia
i applied to abdn with 575 and they rejected me so clearly not.

The fact that you were unsuccessful with 575 does not mean that another applicant with 575 won't get an offer. There are lots of people out there studying who got <575.

I agree with you in that the higher your score, the greater your chances. But the UKCAT is only part of the selection score and at unis such as Dundee and Aberdeen it is a very small part (4% ish)

Of course the OP should aim to improve their UKCAT but also improve other elements of their application :smile:
Foundation year?
Clearing?
I don't know why everyone keeps suggesting a foundation year - they're for people who either have the wrong subjects but the right grades (e.g. Manchester. You have chem so they're not an option). Or for people from under-privilaged areas (e.g. Soton and King's). They're not a backdoor into medicine for people who can't get in any othe way.

If I were you I would try and get on a life science degree at the best university you can for entry this September. If you take the Biology up to A2 I still don't think you'll be eligible for most med schools - you will have achieved AAA over more than 2 years (albeit with no A level taking more than 2 years).

Do the degree and see what your aspirations are in your final year. If you still want to do medicine then you can go for it then, if not you can make the best of what you've got.

As it stands, your A levels aren't good enough for the majority of medical schools, and I don't think taking your Biology up to A2 will solve the problem (for reasons stated above).

Are there any medical schools that still want only AAB for 2012 entry and require only AS Biology? If so, maybe that's an option... if any such place exists.
Reply 23

Original post by alia
i got A*AB (Maths,Chem,Physics: 1 mark off)

4A*s:Maths,Chem,R.e,Physics

3As: English Lit, Lan, Spanish

4Bs:I.T,I.T full,Business studies,Biology

1 yr hospital volunteering,6 months care home, taste of medicine course,football for school team,Christies hospital w/e with proffesor of oncology,passed O.U course molecules medicine and drugs,NHS scheme,ect...

i didnt take bio for A2 which killed my appl dramatically:
603 ukcat
keele intw rejection aft intw ( i didnt have a great time through yr 9,10,11 and wasnt very happy(friend betrayal) but i am much better socially now after i changed to college with a lack of chavs)
Soton waiting list (happened to be fake)
leeds rejection
Glasgow ''''

universites went up to 3A's suddenly which further killed my appl:
2011:
ukcat:575
Bristol-no intw
Abdn-no intw
Soton-not even waiting list

I dont know what do-should i just go for gem.I know its more competitive but if i had an intw this year i would definitaley have got in because of the number of job intws ive been to.
I DONT WANT TO TAKE ANOTHER DULL GAP YR (tuiton fees and eternal boredom)

edit:go on neg rep me,
its not like im depressed or anything

Do Bio A Level, Get an A, Do Better in your UKCAT.
Reply 24
Original post by gozatron
Do Bio A Level, Get an A, Do Better in your UKCAT.

bit late for that...:nazi:
Reply 25
Original post by alia
i changed college and i never initially wanted to do medicine

It's not late to do Biology now. I think it's your best shot (also work on your UKCAT!)

I think your chances will increase drastically if you got a decent score (650+) and had an A in Biology!
Reply 26
Original post by alia
i got A*AB (Maths,Chem,Physics: 1 mark off)

4A*s:Maths,Chem,R.e,Physics

3As: English Lit, Lan, Spanish

4Bs:I.T,I.T full,Business studies,Biology

1 yr hospital volunteering,6 months care home, taste of medicine course,football for school team,Christies hospital w/e with proffesor of oncology,passed O.U course molecules medicine and drugs,NHS scheme,ect...

i didnt take bio for A2 which killed my appl dramatically:
603 ukcat
keele intw rejection aft intw ( i didnt have a great time through yr 9,10,11 and wasnt very happy(friend betrayal) but i am much better socially now after i changed to college with a lack of chavs)
Soton waiting list (happened to be fake)
leeds rejection
Glasgow ''''

universites went up to 3A's suddenly which further killed my appl:
2011:
ukcat:575
Bristol-no intw
Abdn-no intw
Soton-not even waiting list

I dont know what do-should i just go for gem.I know its more competitive but if i had an intw this year i would definitaley have got in because of the number of job intws ive been to.
I DONT WANT TO TAKE ANOTHER DULL GAP YR (tuiton fees and eternal boredom)

edit:go on neg rep me,
its not like im depressed or anything

you need to seriously work on your UKCAT if you want to even have a chance, I think you should also start thinking about an alternative career unless you want to try medicine again. GEM is much harder, yeah, but you need to be a graduate (or over 23 yrs old? not sure), however this seems to be one of your only few options. Considered medicine outside of england? I would have recommended apply to ireland as well, but it's too late in the year now...
Reply 27
Original post by qasman
you need to seriously work on your UKCAT if you want to even have a chance, I think you should also start thinking about an alternative career unless you want to try medicine again. GEM is much harder, yeah, but you need to be a graduate (or over 23 yrs old? not sure), however this seems to be one of your only few options. Considered medicine outside of england? I would have recommended apply to ireland as well, but it's too late in the year now...

ireland wouldnt have accepted me because i never did the gamsat exam right?
also ive got an offer for pharmacy how is easy is it to transfer?
Reply 28
Original post by alia

Not gamsat, you need to do the HPAT, which you do in ireland sometime in february. you could have applied, however your chances would be quite slim.

are you talking about transferring to medicine from pharmacy?? That is extremely rare if at all possible, don't just do pharmacy in the hopes for transferring, it's 99% likely you won't be able to.
Reply 29
Original post by alia

Original post by qasman
Not gamsat, you need to do the HPAT, which you do in ireland sometime in february. you could have applied, however your chances would be quite slim.

are you talking about transferring to medicine from pharmacy?? That is extremely rare if at all possible, don't just do pharmacy in the hopes for transferring, it's 99% likely you won't be able to.

For an A Level applicant to stand any chance of getting a place in Ireland they need at least 4 A's at A2 Level and a good HPAT score (20th percentile-ish).
Original post by alia
isnt 9k fees for next yr anyway?

Sure- but my point was that you'd have to pay £27k for a biosciences degree followed by the costs of GEM (if unsuccessful to medicine in 2012 entry). At least if you can find a good biosciences course this year, you'll only end up paying around £10k for the 3 years.
Original post by notepad
It's not late to do Biology now. I think it's your best shot (also work on your UKCAT!)

I think your chances will increase drastically if you got a decent score (650+) and had an A in Biology!

It is too late really- the OP would have to take a second GAP year which is not worth the hassle. Plus he'd have the added pressure of having to rush through the Biology A level with no guarantee that he's even going to get a Medicine offer.
Reply 32
Original post by kbountra
It is too late really- the OP would have to take a second GAP year which is not worth the hassle. Plus he'd have the added pressure of having to rush through the Biology A level with no guarantee that he's even going to get a Medicine offer.

exactly this....
Original post by alia
exactly this....

I'm going to Sheffield uni next year to study Biochemistry- they have a fantastic course and department (ranked 3rd in the country). If you are interested, they are still accepting students in Extra plus they don't require A level Biology.
Reply 34
Your application, has one error and that is your UKCAT score, you need 680+ without biology and 650+ with biology, I think you should work on your personal statement a bit too, but you should try one more time, and prepare fully for your ukcat, it looks like you have the potential with those grades, however if you can try and get a biology A in A2, and this will give you a great chance. Good luck
Reply 35
Original post by rohitbd
Your application, has one error and that is your UKCAT score, you need 680+ without biology and 650+ with biology, I think you should work on your personal statement a bit too, but you should try one more time, and prepare fully for your ukcat, it looks like you have the potential with those grades, however if you can try and get a biology A in A2, and this will give you a great chance. Good luck

thanks im planing on doing fraduate entry now tbh....anything i should know other than the comp because medicine being med is always gonna be darn competitive....
Reply 36

I think it is worth the hassle IF the OP is doing Biology for the first time, and isn't retaking. I think the OP stands a chance if this is the case.

Even if this isn't the case, the OP should contact all unis offering the A100 course (medicine)!
Original post by notepad
I think it is worth the hassle IF the OP is doing Biology for the first time, and isn't retaking. I think the OP stands a chance if this is the case.

Even if this isn't the case, the OP should contact all unis offering the A100 course (medicine)!

You don't understand how difficult it can be to take a second gap year- structuring it would be v. difficult and the universities would question why the OP didn't choose to study Biology in his first GAP year.
Reply 38
You don't understand how difficult it can be to take a second gap year- structuring it would be v. difficult and the universities would question why the OP didn't choose to study Biology in his first GAP year.

By gap year, I don't necessarily mean go travelling. I was thinking: volunteering, work experience, doing Biology. I know of two people who did Biology in the first gap year and who had multiple offers (last year). It's true, I don't know what universities would think about a second gap year, but personally, I still thinks the OP has a chance.
Original post by notepad
By gap year, I don't necessarily mean go travelling. I was thinking: volunteering, work experience, doing Biology. I know of two people who did Biology in the first gap year and who had multiple offers (last year). It's true, I don't know what universities would think about a second gap year, but personally, I still thinks the OP has a chance.

I know that's what you meant but I'd imagine that is the sort of stuff the OP did in his first GAP year anyway. I'd agree that the OP still has a chance but he would be two years behind and I'm sure he's not willing to wait another 18 months just for that opportunity. Many of the AAA universities may also see him as a 'resit' student because his grades first time round don't match that requirement- almost every medical school wants AAA+ for 2012 entry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending