The Student Room Group

Top UK unis vs top US unis

UCSD (university of california san diego) vs Imperial college london:
Accepted into both as an international for an engineering masters. How do the universities compare in terms of employment opportunities beyond graduation and international reputation? Clearly Imperial ranks higher on THES/QS rankings but ARWU places UCSD higher. Are the opportunities offered to top UK engineering grads on par or better than similar universities in the US? So is Imperial College London in general better than the likes of UCSD/ UCLA/USC and is it's reputation/opportunities available to masters students beyond graduation similar to universities such as Georgia tech, UIUC, Carnegie Mellon, University of Michigan or Cornell?

I know more about the US than UK, so forgive my ignorance when it comes to UK/Europe.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd go for Imperial. US universities are generally better, but as far as I know UCSD isn't regarded as one of the top institutions for engineering (although still better than the vast majority of UK unis). I'd say Georgia Tech > UCSD too though.
Reply 2
Original post by .Theory
I'd go for Imperial. US universities are generally better, but as far as I know UCSD isn't regarded as one of the top institutions for engineering (although still better than the vast majority of UK unis). I'd say Georgia Tech > UCSD too though.

LOL your sig if funny
Reply 3
exeter uni for the win...seriously :l
yeah georgia tech > ucsd. How does imperial stack up though would you say MIT>Caltech-Stanford>Berkeley>Imperial=CMU=GeorgiaTech=Cornell>UCSD/UCLA in terms of job prospects/research opportunities and in prestige/reputation for an engineering masters graduate??

Any more informed opinions people?
Original post by .Theory

yeah georgia tech > ucsd. How does imperial stack up though?
would you say MIT>Caltech-Stanford>Berkeley>Imperial=CMU=GeorgiaTech=Cornell>UCSD/UCLA in terms of job prospects/research opportunities and in prestige/reputation for an engineering masters graduate??

Any more informed opinions people? I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a solid degree with decent/great career opportunities at UCSD. But choosing universities even the top ones in UK seems like a bit of a gamble coz of unfamiliarity with them.
Convince me otherwise TSR UK!!
Mit=Caltech>Stanford>Berkeley=Imperial probably ? > Cambridge for engineering
UCSD Sucks compared to imperial
LOL UCSD is not even close to being a top uni, it's crap.

In the US, for engineering, you've got MIT > Caltech> GA Tech> Berkeley > Michigan > CMU everything else
Reply 9
California State Polytechnic University at Pomona is also a uni to look at for enineering
Original post by Lord_Farquad

In the US, for engineering, you've got MIT > Caltech> GA Tech> Berkeley > Michigan > CMU everything else

Original post by CookieGhoul
Mit=Caltech>Stanford>Berkeley=Imperial probably ? > Cambridge for engineering

Alright thank you, I knew I was definitely doing the right thing choosing imperial over ucsd for it's prestige/reputation. But ignorant and baseless comments made by Americans deterred me slightly.

Obviously imperial >> prestigious/reputable than UCSD but does this reputation carry forth to job prospects too (i'm sure in the research arena imperial>>)? So do top uk engineering graduates have similar prospects available to them as their american counterparts? (so a berkeley/cmu/cornell grad vs an imperial grad)

How do the job prospects and salaries compare (in consulting, engineering work and maybe banking/finance) in UK/Europe vs US? Any anecdotal examples or links that demonstrate what imperial/top uk engineering graduates get up to, salary figures, hiring companies - info. along those lines would help me a bit too.

In summary, what's the return on investment like for top american vs top UK unis?
Original post by imperial/Oxbridge?
Alright thank you, I knew I was definitely doing the right thing choosing imperial over ucsd for it's prestige/reputation. But ignorant and baseless comments made by Americans deterred me slightly.

Obviously imperial >> prestigious/reputable than UCSD but does this reputation carry forth to job prospects too (i'm sure in the research arena imperial>>)? So do top uk engineering graduates have similar prospects available to them as their american counterparts? (so a berkeley/cmu/cornell grad vs an imperial grad)

How do the job prospects and salaries compare (in consulting, engineering work and maybe banking/finance) in UK/Europe vs US? Any anecdotal examples or links that demonstrate what imperial/top uk engineering graduates get up to, salary figures, hiring companies - info. along those lines would help me a bit too.

In summary, what's the return on investment like for top american vs top UK unis?

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/cpp/

That's for department of CS, but I'm sure there is an equivalent for the department you are applying to (just look around the website). I think Imperial student could get job in big company with a pretty descent salary.
(edited 13 years ago)
MIT>Everywhere else
UK engineering graduates (depending on the type of engineering you are doing) are liekly to be looking at £18-22k as a starting salary out of uni (possibly more if in London but then you have to factor in high living expenses). That would be for an entry level graduate position or part of a graduate scheme. After completing that you're looking more like £25-30k (again depending on the branch of engineering). Registration with an accredited body, which usually starts as part of most engineering courses in the UK and will almost certainly be part of an engineering course at Imperial, may then lead on to higher engineering jobs and salaries with the potential of becoming chartered and earning £35-50k+ (higher salaries in this bracket or likely to be for people who are consultants, possibly with their own firms)
Original post by Uni in the UK
UK engineering graduates (depending on the type of engineering you are doing) are liekly to be looking at £18-22k as a starting salary out of uni (possibly more if in London but then you have to factor in high living expenses). That would be for an entry level graduate position or part of a graduate scheme. After completing that you're looking more like £25-30k (again depending on the branch of engineering). Registration with an accredited body, which usually starts as part of most engineering courses in the UK and will almost certainly be part of an engineering course at Imperial, may then lead on to higher engineering jobs and salaries with the potential of becoming chartered and earning £35-50k+ (higher salaries in this bracket or likely to be for people who are consultants, possibly with their own firms)

friend is about to graduate in mech eng, and isn't going down the route you describe. when i asked why, he showed me salary figures for accountancy firms (PWC, KMPG etc), who love engineering students. i soon saw why he's leaving engineering...
Original post by colin4president
friend is about to graduate in mech eng, and isn't going down the route you describe. when i asked why, he showed me salary figures for accountancy firms (PWC, KMPG etc), who love engineering students. i soon saw why he's leaving engineering...

Yeah, that's another good route to take if you can get in over the actual accountancy/economics/business graduates. The large amount of maths undertaken in the majority of UK engineering courses does open a lot of doors such as the ones you have mentioned, as well as teaching if that's what floats your boat.

Engineers seem to be more and more saught after these days in the UK due to their problem solving and mathematical backgrounds and I full understand why companies are looking for people like that.
Reply 16
Original post by imperial/Oxbridge?
yeah georgia tech > ucsd. How does imperial stack up though would you say MIT>Caltech-Stanford>Berkeley>Imperial=CMU=GeorgiaTech=Cornell>UCSD/UCLA in terms of job prospects/research opportunities and in prestige/reputation for an engineering masters graduate??

Any more informed opinions people?

MIT
Stanford
Berkeley/Caltech
Imperial
CMU
Reply 17

Since when was Georgia Tech better than Stanford and CMU?

Michigan? Don't make me laugh....
Original post by london12
Since when was Georgia Tech better than Stanford and CMU?

Michigan? Don't make me laugh....

You clearly know nothing about engineering programs. GA Tech is HUGELY respected as an engineering school, several of their engineering programs are ranked #1 in the nation and they are recruited by just about every firm you'd want to work for, including some BIG name hedge funds.

And trust me, if I have any bias it's in Stanford's favor.
You clearly know nothing about engineering programs. GA Tech is HUGELY respected as an engineering school, several of their engineering programs are ranked #1 in the nation and they are recruited by just about every firm you'd want to work for, including some BIG name hedge funds.

And trust me, if I have any bias it's in Stanford's favor.

I agree with this guy. Michigan is pretty good also. CMU is more towards the robotics line rather than actual engineering to be honest

Latest

Trending

Trending