The Student Room Group

Physical characteristics in the opposite sex

Hey,

When you assess the attractiveness of the opposite sex, be it male or female, do you also assess whether they will produce healthy and 'strong' offspring. I know that when I look at someone attractive I ponder whether both mine and their attractive traits will be passed on to their offspring to produce an attractive child.

I live in an area with a very narrow gene pool. It's disgusting. I get on the bus to school and see some of the monstrosities that are human. Some have no teeth, fat and speak with a slurred accent. You often find these specimens working at the local supermarket and doing other remedial jobs. This poor gene pool is self perpetuating i.e. Their children will inherit similar 'weak' alleles and thus, a population with little genetic diversity is formed. This is the reason why I promote immigration because ethnic diversity expands the gene pool and allows offspring to have the best possible chance of survival. Diversity is key for the continuity and development of our species.

To those of you who are narrow minded, please expand your mind and answer this question when seeking a partner: "Does he/she exhibit dominant characteristics that, which combined with mine, will produce a child with a diverse range of genes ensuring it is strong and healthy."

I know my assertions are to some extent, illogical and flawed. Some of the greatest minds originate from genetically weak backgrounds. However, it's worth identifying that during the Renaissance, travel and communication became easier and thus; increasing diversity, especially throughout Italy and parts of Europe. I have noticed a huge gap from the Macedonian empire (ancient Greece) to the Renaissance. The Medieval ages had very little innovation in terms of scientific discovery and human development. There are many factors as to why this is so. However, diversity is to some degree, relative to geographical location. Greece is situated in such an area that makes traveling to regions which vary in diversity greatly, possible. North Africa (Egypt) for example.The Roman empire succeeded the Egyptian Empire and thus; the diversity increased significantly and 'Roman genes' were infused with 'Egyptian genes'. This could explain the huge increase in intelligence and why many Philosophical and Scientific discovers were made during that time.

This theory is highly speculative. It is only an observation!
Reply 1
You do realise most of the stuff you're rambling on about is not really to do with genetics?
Reply 2
cool story bro
I dont think about how great our kids will look because its WAY too early for me to think like that about a relationship ive only been in 4 months. Since it's been discussed, I suppose yes, our potential children would be good looking because we are both attractive looking people....
Reply 4
I think everybody thinks about whether they'd make fit kids with the person they're attracted to. Like you think 'I want my kids to have brown hair' so you're not sure you wanna chance it with a blondie :tongue: Or someone with big ears! But I don't think it plays a massive role. Subconsciously you're more attracted to features that simply suggest healthiness and the ability to protect etc, rather than features that suggest good-looking kids.
Reply 5
Original post by n1r4v
You do realise most of the stuff you're rambling on about is not really to do with genetics?

Intelligence is mostly genetic. I know it's also environmental but the twin studies confirm this where two identical twins were separated at birth and given completely different lifestyles. When both twins were assessed, their intelligence was almost identical and thus; supporting the fact that intelligence is genetic.

I also read that you are born was a base IQ and you can only increase it by 4-6 points, even if you 'think' you're clever.
Reply 6
genetics?
Reply 7
Apparently you think men think about producing 'offspring' when in fact all they think about when looking at women is "I will destroy that arse........no questions, I will ruin it" or "I wouldn't mind her sitting on my face and jiggling" or something to that effect.
Reply 8
Quite a lot of that is due to environment, not inheritance. With regards to the historical part, the social aspects (and even economics) of contact between cultures are far more likely to have sparked innovation, competition and progress.
This is rather rambling in places (sorry); can we have a tl;dr for the lazy amongst us?

PS. IQ scores are a dreadful way of measuring intelligence. There's very little consensus over what intelligence actually is, and IQ can correlate quite weakly with what most people would recognise as intelligence.
Reply 9
el oh el. I've never beleived all that stuff about assessing attractiveness based on whether women have child bearing hips any more than I believe men are scared of the colour red because it reminds them of their mother's womb.

I think attractiveness is deterred a lot from the media, and what is shown through ads as the 'ideal'.
Reply 10
Original post by Animae
Intelligence is mostly genetic. I know it's also environmental but the twin studies confirm this where two identical twins were separated at birth and given completely different lifestyles. When both twins were assessed, their intelligence was almost identical and thus; supporting the fact that intelligence is genetic.

I also read that you are born was a base IQ and you can only increase it by 4-6 points, even if you 'think' you're clever.

what is a very main factor of intelligence? memory is one of the main factor which makes up intelligence wider. Therefore identical twins share the same genes offcourse and therefore there memory ability may be the same (offcourse you can improve it and environmental etc factors affect too) and therefore the intelligence (the knowledge from external sources) is good if memory is good.

Dont always believe what you read of internet, without a proper based psychological study on this, you cannot fully generalise such a statement. Depends what everyone defines intelligence, having a vast knowledge about different aspects is considered intelligence, However the upper class dominate our society and therefore in our education system develop a theory that "this and this" is intelligence, if you know this that means your intelligent. Its not always true, knowledge is a very vast subject and can be obtained from every angle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending