The Student Room Group

LSE or Durham?

Hi,

I know this might appear to be self-indulgent rubbish, but all the same, I have to pick one, and want to be sure I'm making the right decision.

I currently have an offer to study law from both. LSE ask for 38 points and 766 in my highers (I do IB). Durham ask for 37 and make no specifications to higher subjects...

Either of those will be my insurance, as Cambridge will by my firm, but I'm not sure which one's better. The truth is, the chances of me actually getting the points for Cambridge are pretty slim, so I have to be happy to go to my insurance, as it's very likely to happen...

I haven't heard the best news about LSE, but I'm attracted to the idea of London, and of course, LSE's general reputation (despite the recent Gaddafi stuff) is factoring in. However, my loan and grant would not even cover the accommodation for London... :/ Also, their offer is pretty similar to Cambridge in that I have to get 766 in my highers (Cambridge ask for 776). So I could end up in neither which would be a bummer... :frown:

Durham seems like such a beautiful place, and my college (Josephine Butler) seems really modern and nice. Also, a big plus is that their offer is more manageable - 37, with no subject specifications. Student life plays a big part in my decision. I'd much rather go to a place where I get to know people and feel like part of a unit.

I also recently heard from a student at LSE that lectures are a bit hectic, with few hours of them in a week, and frequent cancellations. Is he an unlucky student or is this pretty standard for LSE?

But which one is better? Any current students able to give a brief description of what it's like?

Thanks for reading anywho and sorry for the waffle...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A cousin of mine went to LSE and got a job at Sidley Austin as an associate right after he graduated from law school. Also going by the guardians league table's, LSE is 6th for Law while Durham is like 22nd. I'd go for LSE but that's just my 2 cents.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
LSE, absolutely.
Where would you prefer to live for the time of your studies? If you are attracted to London then I'd say LSE.
Reply 4
what??? students are crazy...the person is asking for a viable insurance and if durham want less then take that (there is only a thin gap between them
Both Durham and LSE are highly respected for law and a degree from either will put you in excellent stead for a career at the top law firms in the country.

That said, LSE is, of course, in London, which makes things slightly easier when it comes to work experience and being generally sought out by employers. Alternatively, Durham is a safer insurance - if LSE A-level offers are anything to go by, it won't differ much from Cambridge's offer!!

Personally, you have the opportunity to get a highly respected degree from both - they're both easily in the top 10 for law. So I'd suggest that you visit both (if you haven't already) and make your judgement from there. Bear in mind that the law courses at Durham and LSE vary slightly in terms of the compulsory content of the course and your options. Also, Durham and London are completely different cities and different types of university, Durham being collegiate in a quaint city and LSE being smack bang in the middle of metropolitan London.

And have faith in yourself with Cambridge! I'm sure you wouldn't have had offers from some of the most competitive universities in the world if you had no chance of getting in!
Reply 6
Durham absolutely - did you go to the open day last week? I did - they make you feel so at home, I'm really shy but the college system really makes you feel apart of something - and it's on £3 on the train if you want a big night out in Newcastle. Plus Durham is cheaper etc - I'm also putting Durham as my insurance to Cambridge. The student satisfaction section on all of the league tables for LSE are really low - that's what put me off applying in the first place. What subject is it?
Reply 7
I'd suggest LSE personally, but if you want to feel like part of a unit, then Durham is probably a better place. London is huge and you might feel a bit lost, and it might not be the homey atmosphere you wanted, although it is an incredible city and somewhere that I think everyone should live at some point!
Good luck with your decision!
Reply 8
oh yeah congratultions on the awsome offers btw :smile:
Reply 9
Thanks everyone! I was kind-of hoping there'd be a clean sweep of everyone favouring one, but clearly there's a division of opinion. I guess that's a good thing, as it shows they're both more or less equally decent.

I AM attracted to London, but I'm not sure whether I want to be living there when under the strict budget of Student Life. I have worked out that I will need a weekend job to afford my first-year (which might be hard to find anyway!) and then from second year, I've heard living in even the cheapest London flats can be expensive...

Whereas, in Durham my accommodation seems more affordable (I can definitely cover it with my loan)... (and the £3 train fare to Newcastle sounds like a real bargain :wink: )

In terms of insurance, I could put down LSE and just hope, but I just have this vision in my mind of missing both offers on results day... which would be a real kick in the teeth, and would probably bring me back to this moment and this thread, with regret towards my ambitious choice ...
Reply 10
Original post by lalilou
Thanks everyone! I was kind-of hoping there'd be a clean sweep of everyone favouring one, but clearly there's a division of opinion. I guess that's a good thing, as it shows they're both more or less equally decent.

I AM attracted to London, but I'm not sure whether I want to be living there when under the strict budget of Student Life. I have worked out that I will need a weekend job to afford my first-year (which might be hard to find anyway!) and then from second year, I've heard living in even the cheapest London flats can be expensive...

Whereas, in Durham my accommodation seems more affordable (I can definitely cover it with my loan)... (and the £3 train fare to Newcastle sounds like a real bargain :wink: )

In terms of insurance, I could put down LSE and just hope, but I just have this vision in my mind of missing both offers on results day... which would be a real kick in the teeth, and would probably bring me back to this moment and this thread, with regret towards my ambitious choice ...

you have literally just listed the reason why you should put durham because ITS AN INSURANCE if you make the grade for LSE you would have been in for a shot a cambridge so dont e silly and risk it on what is essentially a hairline difference of university prestige
Reply 11
Original post by mantis117
A cousin of mine went to LSE and got a job at Sidley Austin as an associate right after he graduated from law school. Also going by the guardians league table's, LSE is 6th for Law while Durham is like 22nd. I'd go for LSE but that's just my 2 cents.

Yes, but the Times places Durham higher than LSE (second, if I remember correctly, so twenty places higher than the Guardian). The Complete places LSE fourth and Durham sixth.

So what does that tell you? :p: The Guardian isn't incorrect. But then neither are the other two. They are all "correct" in that they rank universities according to criteria they feel important. Really, you can use statistics to show almost anything you want.

Durham doesn't do as well in the Guardian rankings as it does in the other two major domestic rankings (it is not alone in this, the same is true of Bristol).

Both are seen as amongst the strongest law schools in the country, with employment prospects between the two quite negligible. Although LSE will possibly given the slightest advantage, I don't think this is enough if you the OP prefers Durham. I have also heard concerns from undergraduates about the standing of teaching at LSE but I have no first hand experience of this.

Original post by lalilou

Whereas, in Durham my accommodation seems more affordable (I can definitely cover it with my loan)

Seriously? Blummin' heck. Durham's accomodation can cost a fortune. Although I suppose you're not looking at ensuite rooms?

... (and the £3 train fare to Newcastle sounds like a real bargain :wink: )

I think it's just over £3 tbh and that's with a railcard. Really, few students travel to Newcastle on a regular basis because of the cost, the distance, and they find Durham generally suits their needs (Durham isn't going to attract many people who want to go to five difference clubs everynight otherwise they would chose a Newcastle, London or Manchester).

Also, the final train back is fairly early. So although you can travel up by train it will be difficult returning. Realistically you will only be able to go to Newcastle of a Friday or Saturday night. This is because there's a nightbus running throughout the early hours of Saturday and Sunday mornings.
Good job on the offers.

If I had to choose I'd say LSE has a slightly stronger reputation. But if it was my choice, I'd definitely go to Durham for these reasons: 1) a collegial atmosphere, probably a bit better socially; 2) I don't think I'd like to go to uni in London with the travelling that entails; 3) easier to get accomodation; 4) cheaper. Of course there are good reasons to choose LSE too, it really depends on whether you would prefer a city or campus uni.
Personally I'd go with Durham. The difference between LSE and Durham law is negligible. You'll likely be in central London for the rest of your life; you need to consider whether you want to spend three years of uni there as well. London is expensive. I go to UCL, and the cheapest I've paid in my three years for accommodation has been £129pw. Durham is also more akin to Cambridge in terms of the collegiate system etc., if that factors in at all.

I think the only way Durham would count against you is in a scenario where you're going head to head with someone who is like you in every other respect, but has gone to LSE. Two weeks in a law firm will probably overcompensate for it.
Reply 14
Durham
/thread
Reply 15
Original post by River85
Seriously? Blummin' heck. Durham's accomodation can cost a fortune. Although I suppose you're not looking at ensuite rooms?

Well given that my sister is at LSE and I went to Durham I feel in someways I'm ideally positioned to comment about this.

Believe me- there is absolutely no comparison in terms of price between LSE and Durham. Durham is hugely cheaper. I refer not just to the price of accommodation but also to the general cost of living. My sister tells me she has to pay £15 just to get into a student night at a club. At Durham it was something closer to a fiver (or cheaper). Then there's the price of drinks for the evening which are much dearer in our lovely capital.

If she wants to do shopping, her local supermarket is a Waitrose in the Brunswick Centre (in Bloomsbury), which costs her a fortune. For me it was either the college shop, or Tesco's in Durham, which is clearly considerably cheaper.

I had a similar choice between UCL and Durham in 2007 (god I feel a bit old now). For me, I had no hesitation in picking Durham. There were many factors which dictated that decision; the fact it wasn't London (which is where I'm from and which I didn't regard as a particularly student friendly city), the collegiate atmosphere, the social life, the people in the North East who, (with the odd exception) I generally found to incredibly friendly and welcoming and the city itself, which is beautiful. You are spending 3 years at a place and these are important considerations.

Good luck with wherever you choose though OP and congratulations on your fantastic offers.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Rascacielos
Both Durham and LSE are highly respected for law and a degree from either will put you in excellent stead for a career at the top law firms in the country.

That said, LSE is, of course, in London, which makes things slightly easier when it comes to work experience and being generally sought out by employers. Alternatively, Durham is a safer insurance - if LSE A-level offers are anything to go by, it won't differ much from Cambridge's offer!!

Personally, you have the opportunity to get a highly respected degree from both - they're both easily in the top 10 for law. So I'd suggest that you visit both (if you haven't already) and make your judgement from there. Bear in mind that the law courses at Durham and LSE vary slightly in terms of the compulsory content of the course and your options. Also, Durham and London are completely different cities and different types of university, Durham being collegiate in a quaint city and LSE being smack bang in the middle of metropolitan London.

And have faith in yourself with Cambridge! I'm sure you wouldn't have had offers from some of the most competitive universities in the world if you had no chance of getting in!

Completely off topic but how did you change your username?
Original post by kbountra
Completely off topic but how did you change your username?

I emailed TSR because my previous one contained my real name and I wasn't happy.
Original post by Rascacielos
I emailed TSR because my previous one contained my real name and I wasn't happy.

Ah ok- at least you are happy now :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by AdamTJ
Well given that my sister is at LSE and I went to Durham I feel in someways I'm ideally positioned to comment about this.

Believe me- there is absolutely no comparison in terms of price between LSE and Durham. Durham is hugely cheaper. I refer not just to the price of accommodation but also to the general cost of living. My sister tells me she has to pay £15 just to get into a student night at a club. At Durham it was something closer to a fiver (or cheaper). Then there's the price of drinks for the evening which are much dearer in our lovely capital.

If she wants to do shopping, her local supermarket is a Waitrose in the Brunswick Centre (in Bloomsbury), which costs her a fortune. For me it was either the college shop, or Tesco's in Durham, which is clearly considerably cheaper.

I had a similar choice between UCL and Durham in 2007 (god I feel a bit old now). For me, I had no hesitation in picking Durham. There were many factors which dictated that decision; the fact it wasn't London (which is where I'm from and which I didn't regard as a particularly student friendly city), the collegiate atmosphere, the social life, the people in the North East who, (with the odd exception) I generally found to incredibly friendly and welcoming and the city itself, which is beautiful. You are spending 3 years at a place and these are important considerations.

Good luck with wherever you choose though OP and congratulations on your fantastic offers.

Wow, great first-hand advice! Thank you! I think my mind's pretty much made up now; Durham seems like a place where I would fit in better, and money is a big factor into my decision, so good to know that it's much cheaper! Final question.... (not to factor into my decision, just out of curiosity) How cold and windy does it get in Durham in the winter? Because it seems to be awfully north!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending