The Student Room Group

degree classification for pharmacy

Does it matter what degree classification you get for pharmacy?

Say for example, is it still possible to get a pre-reg with a 2.2 overall in your pharmacy degree.

Can anyone answer this please.

I will be starting a pharmacy degree, but was just wondering about this. Obviously, I will not aim for a 2.2, but for a 1st class.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone.
Reply 2
Original post by firestar101
Anyone.

I remember reading that someone with a 3rd was a pharmacy manager or something. I think because it's a professional qualification, and as long as you pass the exam at the end of the pre-reg year it really doesn't matter what degree you get!

P.s hi :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by BigDirty
I remember reading that someone with a 3rd was a pharmacy manager or something. I think because it's a professional qualification, and as long as you pass the exam at the end of the pre-reg year it really doesn't matter what degree you get!

Hey,

Thanks. I thought a minimum of a 2.2 was required for a pre-reg. Maybe a third is ok too.
Original post by BigDirty

You need the equivalent of a 2.2 or above to pass the MPharm degree and hence begin a pre-registration post. Not sure how far back this rule goes. Probably at least the last 10-15 years (i.e. since it became MPharm)

edit: My mistake, you can actually get an MPharm degree with 40-49%! Absolute disgrace.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I know someone who is working in boots with a third...but i think they are planning to put a minimum but i dont know when that will be...after you get your results in may (4th year) it will never matter what you got...you get misguided a lot at uni , i was once told i need a first to be able to get a pre-reg in hospital...I have got one but have not even sat my final exams...29 days to go!
Original post by Caponester
You need the equivalent of a 2.2 or above to pass the MPharm degree and hence begin a pre-registration post. Not sure how far back this rule goes. Probably at least the last 10-15 years (i.e. since it became MPharm)

edit: My mistake, you can actually get an MPharm degree with 40-49%! Absolute disgrace.

Where did you find that out? I thought you could just get pass, merit or distinction and anything below 50% was a fail too. Pretty sure we need a 50% CMA to even get into 4th year. Sorry, I'm quoting you all over the place.
Original post by New...Romantic
Where did you find that out? I thought you could just get pass, merit or distinction and anything below 50% was a fail too. Pretty sure we need a 50% CMA to even get into 4th year. Sorry, I'm quoting you all over the place.

I was of this opinion until fairly recently too but it looks like there is variation between schools of pharmacy! What is your understanding?

Distinction = Average of 70%+
Merit = Average of 60-69%
Pass = 50-59%

I'm reasonably sure that you only need 40% to pass our masters modules after thinking for the longest time you needed 50% and above! Also, I forgot to mention; my pre-registration post is conditional on the equivalent of a 2.1 or above.
I was of this opinion until fairly recently too but it looks like there is variation between schools of pharmacy! What is your understanding?

Distinction = Average of 70%+
Merit = Average of 60-69%
Pass = 50-59%

I'm reasonably sure that you only need 40% to pass our masters modules after thinking for the longest time you needed 50% and above! Also, I forgot to mention; my pre-registration post is conditional on the equivalent of a 2.1 or above.

Yeah that's what I thought, that a pass (50%) was the minimum and then it's a fail. So what's it called if you get below 50 then? Or do some unis use 1st, 3rd etc instead? Well I checked the handbook (wild Friday nights I have) and we need 50% CMA to get into 4th year, a CMA of 50% to pass 4th year and 50% in all individual subjects. That's at Strathclyde.

I've seen you mention your pre-reg before. Well done on getting that, must have been competitive. Did you have hospital experience before? I'm failing miserably at getting any, placement or unpaid, so starting to think I have no chance. Thanks for answering my other post too, I never even thought that a placement in England wouldn't get you on the preferred list here. Makes sense I suppose. Think I'll be applying to England too, 170 NES places doesn't even cover my year never mind RGU's lot as well.
Yeah that's what I thought, that a pass (50%) was the minimum and then it's a fail. So what's it called if you get below 50 then? Or do some unis use 1st, 3rd etc instead? Well I checked the handbook (wild Friday nights I have) and we need 50% CMA to get into 4th year, a CMA of 50% to pass 4th year and 50% in all individual subjects. That's at Strathclyde.

I've seen you mention your pre-reg before. Well done on getting that, must have been competitive. Did you have hospital experience before? I'm failing miserably at getting any, placement or unpaid, so starting to think I have no chance. Thanks for answering my other post too, I never even thought that a placement in England wouldn't get you on the preferred list here. Makes sense I suppose. Think I'll be applying to England too, 170 NES places doesn't even cover my year never mind RGU's lot as well.

We can get 40% at RGU in most modules and pass. Quite hilarious actually! Only difference is if we fail up here then we don't have a BSc in pharmaceutical science to fall back on. I actually prefer your system, it means people can't scrape through the earlier years and then turn it on in the later years to get a decent degree.

Yeah, I worked in Hairmyres DGH between my 3rd and 4th year. Did placements for Boots and Lloyds too over the years. I suggest you cover yourself and apply to England as well as NES. What year are you in? The number of NES places are rumoured to be either falling or staying the same but paying considerably less for pre-reg's starting in 2014 (i.e. next years cohort) so if you're a third year just now then you're just safe and no more!

I heard a lot of you Strathy punters are homebirds and take the majority of NES places? I'd say about half of my year are leaving Scotland to go elsewhere.
Reply 10
We can get 40% at RGU in most modules and pass. Quite hilarious actually! Only difference is if we fail up here then we don't have a BSc in pharmaceutical science to fall back on. I actually prefer your system, it means people can't scrape through the earlier years and then turn it on in the later years to get a decent degree.

Yeah, I worked in Hairmyres DGH between my 3rd and 4th year. Did placements for Boots and Lloyds too over the years. I suggest you cover yourself and apply to England as well as NES. What year are you in? The number of NES places are rumoured to be either falling or staying the same but paying considerably less for pre-reg's starting in 2014 (i.e. next years cohort) so if you're a third year just now then you're just safe and no more!

I heard a lot of you Strathy punters are homebirds and take the majority of NES places? I'd say about half of my year are leaving Scotland to go elsewhere.

Really. I would have thought that RGU pharmacy students were far more likely to get the majority of places on pre-reg in Scotland. They are better. :wink:

How much would those graduating in 2014 get paid for their pre-reg? Do you know the exact figure?

Also, I am likely to be going into first year for pharmacy at RGU. So, is 40 percent all you need to pass a module. Also, I remember you telling me that only 4th year counts towards your degree classification. I think that particular system is terrible. I would prefer what they do at my friend's university(queen Mary university). He did a masters in pharmaceutical science and his first year was nothing towards his classification, his second year is 20 percent, third year is 30 percent and 4th year is 50 percent. I would much rather prefer that at RGU. It motivated people to work from the start.

Would it be possible to raise the degree classification issue with the RGU pharmacy course moderator and to maybe change it from only counting 4th year to maybe other years. If I go in September, I certainly would want to speak to someone about it, as my friends system at his uni is much better.
(edited 13 years ago)

If anyone needed a BSc to fall back on when the pass mark's 40 I'd really worry about RGU :wink: Was that a placement? I live 5 minutes from Hairmyres - well my parents do. I hate saying stuff like that on here, feel like I'm giving away my identity :ninja: I would have loved to get Hairmyres but I didn't even get to the interview stage. Their open day's on Monday though so at least I'll get to see it, should have more of an idea whether I'd actually like hospital after that.

I'm a third year, phew. I honestly don't know, I assumed RGU would get a lot of them because of this 100% employment rate that gets thrown about. I think most people at Strathclyde probably still live at home, we do tend to like Glasgow/Scotland. I'm not fussy though, I did a placement in England last year and I'll probably be applying down there for hospitals. If I decide on community I'd hope to stay in Scotland though. Even considered NI but apparently the job situation isn't great over there. We have the IMU students too, not sure if they stay for pre-reg but if they go home I suppose that's 40 less places to find.
Really. I would have thought that RGU pharmacy students were far more likely to get the majority of places on pre-reg in Scotland. They are better. :wink:

Ironic really since we're just talking about how RGU students need less to pass :wink: I don't think they'll change the system just for you if that's what you're asking... Should have chosen Strathclyde, 3rd year count for 20% and 4th year is your other 80%. You'll just have to motivate yourself to do well.
If anyone needed a BSc to fall back on when the pass mark's 40 I'd really worry about RGU :wink: Was that a placement? I live 5 minutes from Hairmyres - well my parents do. I hate saying stuff like that on here, feel like I'm giving away my identity :ninja: I would have loved to get Hairmyres but I didn't even get to the interview stage. Their open day's on Monday though so at least I'll get to see it, should have more of an idea whether I'd actually like hospital after that.

I'm a third year, phew. I honestly don't know, I assumed RGU would get a lot of them because of this 100% employment rate that gets thrown about. I think most people at Strathclyde probably still live at home, we do tend to like Glasgow/Scotland. I'm not fussy though, I did a placement in England last year and I'll probably be applying down there for hospitals. If I decide on community I'd hope to stay in Scotland though. Even considered NI but apparently the job situation isn't great over there. We have the IMU students too, not sure if they stay for pre-reg but if they go home I suppose that's 40 less places to find.

I wholeheartedly agree! I do worry about some students coming out of the MPharm and that doesn't just mean RGU students. I have met and worked with a few questionable students and graduates from Strathclyde too. I think it's fairly standard across the board. You get some good students, you get some average students and then you get one or two bad students.

Yep, 4 week placement. Was really good and I was actually offered a pre-reg there but picked Cambridge instead for a variety of reasons. Sorry to hear about not getting to the interview stage! Last year the majority of places went to RGU students and I'm inclined to think that the same will have happened this year. Not sure what has caused this paradigm shift? You guys used to get all the places!

Open day? Please elaborate.

As I've mentioned before, the 100% employment rate is just a statement that gets banded about to entice new students. Most pharmacy degrees should have upwards of a 95% employment rate anyway.

I'd avoid NI if possible. Too few jobs, underpaid and it's simply not as good as Scotland or England to live in! I'm biased, of course.

In my experience some IMU students do choose to stay yes, but they tend to struggle at interview for somewhat obvious reasons. It's the same scenario with the OSPAP's we have up north. Communication is the absolute key and if you are at a disadvantage in this respect then I think the interview will be difficult.

@firestar101 - You'll change your tune once you start pharmacy I imagine. They used to have 20% on third year and 80% on 4th year but this doesn't really make much sense if you're awarding degrees based on masters modules. I think there are advantages to both systems. Doesn't affect me seeing as I'd be on for the same degree regardless of systems.
Reply 14

@firestar101 - You'll change your tune once you start pharmacy I imagine. They used to have 20% on third year and 80% on 4th year but this doesn't really make much sense if you're awarding degrees based on masters modules. I think there are advantages to both systems. Doesn't affect me seeing as I'd be on for the same degree regardless of systems.

Thanks. Do you know how much the pre-reg salary is likely to be for those graduating in 2014 and above, as you said that it might change.

Also, sorry about Aberdeen uni for medicine. Did you get put on a waiting list?
Thanks. Do you know how much the pre-reg salary is likely to be for those graduating in 2014 and above, as you said that it might change.

Also, sorry about Aberdeen uni for medicine. Did you get put on a waiting list?

There are no concrete figures yet. As I said, they're not sure if they want to decrease the overall number of places or cut the salary (or indeed, a pessimist could suggest they will do both!). I imagine if they wish to keep 170 places the salary might fall from £22,000 to £16,000 but that is just a ball park figure.

Yes, on the waiting list. Absolute torture.
I wholeheartedly agree! I do worry about some students coming out of the MPharm and that doesn't just mean RGU students. I have met and worked with a few questionable students and graduates from Strathclyde too. I think it's fairly standard across the board. You get some good students, you get some average students and then you get one or two bad students.

Yep, 4 week placement. Was really good and I was actually offered a pre-reg there but picked Cambridge instead for a variety of reasons. Sorry to hear about not getting to the interview stage! Last year the majority of places went to RGU students and I'm inclined to think that the same will have happened this year. Not sure what has caused this paradigm shift? You guys used to get all the places!

Open day? Please elaborate.

As I've mentioned before, the 100% employment rate is just a statement that gets banded about to entice new students. Most pharmacy degrees should have upwards of a 95% employment rate anyway.

I'd avoid NI if possible. Too few jobs, underpaid and it's simply not as good as Scotland or England to live in! I'm biased, of course.

In my experience some IMU students do choose to stay yes, but they tend to struggle at interview for somewhat obvious reasons. It's the same scenario with the OSPAP's we have up north. Communication is the absolute key and if you are at a disadvantage in this respect then I think the interview will be difficult.

Oh no definitely, there are some people that seem to get everything wrong in labs etc and you wonder how they manage to pass exams. But then I've worked with locums and wondered how they manage to get work.

I'm quite gutted I didn't get an interview, I wasn't really expecting to get a placement because I was up against people that had experience and were good candidates but the interview experience would have been really useful. I've never had a formal face-to-face interview so the NES one's going to be nerve-wracking. But there were 160 applicants for 30 places so I'll just have to do better in future.

Yeah, NHS Lanarkshire are having open days in Hairmyres, Wishaw and Monklands next week. Is this not somethin that normally runs? I'm not sure exactly what it'll be, I think a tour of the department, meet some of the staff and hear about pre-reg opportunities. Not sure what to wear, do you think I should dress like for an interview just to be safe?

Strathclyde are switching to 25% from level 4 classes and 75% from level 5. Not sure when they're changing but it might be from this year's intake.

Would it be possible to raise the degree classification issue with the RGU pharmacy course moderator and to maybe change it from only counting 4th year to maybe other years. If I go in September, I certainly would want to speak to someone about it, as my friends system at his uni is much better.

I'm sure they'll just laugh in your face and Tell you to get back to studying. However I don't particularly think that Warthogs are a particularly classy animal to pick for RGU's coat of arms.. Maybe I'll raise this issue after.

They're gonna hate our year :mmm:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Daniel-Ballingall
I'm sure they'll just laugh in your face and Tell you to get back to studying. However I don't particularly think that Warthogs are a particularly classy animal to pick for RGU's coat of arms.. Maybe I'll raise this issue after.

They're gonna hate our year :mmm:

So True. :biggrin:
Is this not somethin that normally runs? I'm not sure exactly what it'll be, I think a tour of the department, meet some of the staff and hear about pre-reg opportunities. Not sure what to wear, do you think I should dress like for an interview just to be safe?

Never heard of such a thing! I suppose we only have the one big teaching hospital in Aberdeen and we're there reasonably often anyway so no need to show us around perhaps? We were down in Edinburgh not too long ago and I heard students were given a talk about job opportunities in the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh... I can't comment, sacked the talk and tour off to go for pints instead.

If you're going to be in the hospital environment I suggest you wear what you would wear if you were working. Just a dress or something to that effect? Don't go casual whatever you do. Smart casual is slightly more acceptable but still not preferable.

Where did you work in England if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply

Latest