The Student Room Group

A2 Options for Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
/thread. I actually think it's more satisfying doing 4 subjects, you only do your A Levels once, so I guess it's important to enjoy the process as well. I enjoyed doing 3 sciences + 1 maths.

I actually feel that your A Levels results won't have much bearing on the outcome of your application, since everybody with AAA and above gets treated equally. However I remember one of my interviewers saying that they admired students who took extra subjects for their genuine interest in studying them, but you should take note that your other credentials must be excellent as well.

I think it's good that you're confident, and it's probably a trait that'll get you past the interview stage and an offer. Also medicine courses in the UK aren't that ridiculously competitive as people make them out to be, what more for local applicants like you, so don't be intimidated by mere hearsay.

A word of advice though, you seem to get worked up very easily. Remember this is an internet forum where lots of people leave irresponsible comments without thinking of how it might affect others, you needn't be baited into being one yourself. :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by Qi Jia
/thread. I actually think it's more satisfying doing 4 subjects, you only do your A Levels once, so I guess it's important to enjoy the process as well. I enjoyed doing 3 sciences + 1 maths.

I actually feel that your A Levels results won't have much bearing on the outcome of your application, since everybody with AAA and above gets treated equally. However I remember one of my interviewers saying that they admired students who took extra subjects for their genuine interest in studying them, but you should take note that your other credentials must be excellent as well.

I think it's good that you're confident, and it's probably a trait that'll get you past the interview stage and an offer. Also medicine courses in the UK aren't that ridiculously competitive as people make them out to be, what more for local applicants like you, so don't be intimidated by mere hearsay.

A word of advice though, you seem to get worked up very easily. Remember this is an internet forum where lots of people leave irresponsible comments without thinking of how it might affect others, you needn't be baited into being one yourself. :smile:

Ty, its just frustrating that if you even hint that you're capable of doing anything, people here just start calling you arrogant, or say that you're lying.

Can you imagine what'd happen if I tried to prove I'm intelligent by posting grades etc? Everyone would just call me an arrogant ****.

The thing is I'm not even angry or anything, just some people don't even answer the question...

Anyways, so you think I should do Eng Lit. because it'd show variety? I thought it'd be a bit of a risk to my other compulsory subjects (sciences etc.)
Original post by Newbie123
Really? You're just going to chip in your valuable two pence worth? Thanks, really just thanks, because your opinion is so important to me.

FFS, have you met me or something? You can't say I'm arrogant or stupid if you've never encountered me in real life.

Just shut up. I'm not going to call you names saying this & that. Just shut up.

I wasn't going to write an essay - everyone's said enough. But you shot down any opinion that doesn't agree with your own. You can't take the least bit of criticism and you are the one getting all worked up. If you are that close minded then you are going to have a hard time trying to be a doctor.

I'm just going to repeat what some others have said since you are not listening. Stop trying to prove that you know all about it and listen to those people who has been through it all.

First of all, you basically just said anyone who doesn't get into the prestigious unis are not good enough. It's not where you go that makes you a better doctor - it's what you do. When you are applying for F1, it doesn't even matter where you go. Plus, you ARE a fool for believing in league tables, a medicine one at that! All med schools are of a similar standard, despite what you think.

Also, the way you talk about how you are oxford material etc. IS arrogant. I don't need to know you to see that. What amazing qualities that you possess that make you think you will get accepted? I know so many people who are 'Oxford material' and they didn't get in.

What we are saying doesn't float your boat, but that doesn't mean what we say is wrong. The advice is out there. Take it or leave it.
Anyways, so you think I should do Eng Lit. because it'd show variety? I thought it'd be a bit of a risk to my other compulsory subjects (sciences etc.)

Do it if you're interested in it and enjoy it enough to warrant continuing it to A2, not because you think it will add variety.

Don't do it if you think the extra work will mean your other grades suffer and you could subsequently miss an offer.
Reply 64
Ty, its just frustrating that if you even hint that you're capable of doing anything, people here just start calling you arrogant, or say that you're lying.

Can you imagine what'd happen if I tried to prove I'm intelligent by posting grades etc? Everyone would just call me an arrogant ****.

The thing is I'm not even angry or anything, just some people don't even answer the question...

I'm saying continue with your Eng Lit. if you want to. I must clearly state that uni's don't really care if you've done 4 A Levels or not. What you need is A*AA, 3 subjects for most unis. But IIRC, UCL would prefer applicants with contrasting subjects ( science + arts subjects).

IMHO if you're really as intelligent as you say, A-Levels shouldn't be a problem for you. I found them easy, and I sure wouldn't say that I'm a smart guy!
Reply 65
Original post by Qi Jia
I'm saying continue with your Eng Lit. if you want to. I must clearly state that uni's don't really care if you've done 4 A Levels or not. What you need is A*AA, 3 subjects for most unis. But IIRC, UCL would prefer applicants with contrasting subjects ( science + arts subjects).

IMHO if you're really as intelligent as you say, A-Levels shouldn't be a problem for you. I found them easy, and I sure wouldn't say that I'm a smart guy!

Kk, I just don't want to do Eng Lit. A2 just to find out it makes no diff. I'd rather just try and get highest possible grades in Maths & Sciences
Reply 66
Original post by Qi Jia

Do you mean AAA? :lolwut:
I guess its better to focus on 3 rather than trying to do everything.

Ty

no worries :smile:. but hey seriously, it does sound like you need to do a little more research. unless you've passed through the process, its hard to estimate how tricky med admissons are, and i completely disagree with you putting down universities like sheffield on the grounds of 'prestige'.

the top medical school is the one that is best suited to YOU, the way you work and what you want out of the next five/six years of your life. if you believe oxford is it, then good for you, but i'd take a good look at some other medical schools too before you write them off.

your confidence is admirable, but i would consider the advice of people on these forums too, many of them have much much more experience in this whole issue than you do at the moment.

best of luck with everything :smile:
Reply 68
Original post by Persephone9
The people who decide if you get the job don't see what uni it is (I believe it is blacked out), but it does go on the form :smile:

I suppose they find out in interview anyway and also if it said six years it'd be known to be oxford
Original post by honoris
I suppose they find out in interview anyway and also if it said six years it'd be known to be oxford

actually quite a lot of medical schools have a six year course as standard, and you can extend your course to six at most others by intercalating :smile:. i was under the impression that they don't interview for foundation posts though? :s-smilie:
Reply 70
Original post by honoris
What interviews?
Reply 71
Original post by periwinkle304
actually quite a lot of medical schools have a six year course as standard, and you can extend your course to six at most others by intercalating :smile:. i was under the impression that they don't interview for foundation posts though? :s-smilie:

Oh I thought it was five. I thought about applying for medicine but decided to do physiotherapy instead :smile: If they don't interview they might do soon as there will be a shortfall of f1 posts in comparison to graduates, what I heard!:ninjagirl:
Original post by honoris

I shouldn't have thought they would ask you where you went, or else there would be no point in them blacking it out.

Cambridge, Imperial and UCL also do 6 year courses. The names of the degrees you get are slightly different though so you could possibly narrow it down from that, although having never applied for an FY1 post, this may not be the case.
Reply 73
Original post by Renal
What interviews?

I don't know I said they wouldn't see applicants universities but got told it would be on the form.. anyway http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/pgmde/sections/foundationtraining/recruitment/academic%20posts/index.html
Reply 74
I am going to slap you bruv... Listen Medicine isnt a walk in the park... Renal is one of the best medicine contributors on tsr so learn to respect boy. Every med school produces perfectly able doctors and all have very high standards. If you want to brag to your friends and family about be an arrogant ****ing bitch, which showing by your responses you are, then apply to those 'top' universities. I feel you have no concept on what being a doctor entails or the run up to being one. People like you are a waste of space
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by honoris
I don't know I said they wouldn't see applicants universities but got told it would be on the form.. anyway http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/pgmde/sections/foundationtraining/recruitment/academic%20posts/index.html
Academic FP :facepalm:

(Either way, they're not allowed to ask which medical school you went to, even if they cared)
Reply 76
Yeah, that's what I would do but like I said my Head of 6th Form says that would be a bit of a cop out.

Who cares about the head, do whats best for you, I know a friend who did 5 AS got AAAAB and carried on 4 and hes still going at it fine. You'll be fine
If a potential employer were to pick between two identical job candidates, with the only difference being that one was educated at Sheffield Uni and one was educated at Oxford (both with 1st class degrees), no matter what you may believe, I'm pretty certain that the latter would get the job.

I've considered the prospect of Oxford very carefully for 2 or 3 years now, and its an informed decision to apply, so please don't think I'm an over-ambitious idiot who only sees the name and fails to see anything else.

Without being pretentious, I know I'm capable of getting into Oxford, and I personally feel going to Bristol/Sheffield/Cardiff Uni for Medicine would be an underachievement. I visited Christ Church College in Oxford when I was about 12 and after sufficient research have decided that is where I want to attend.

So enough advice about where I should study Medicine, right now I would like some guidance on A2 choices.

Just a gentle word of advice, I'm not trying to bitch at you:

When I went to my interview at UCL, the head of admissions told a story about one of the applicants they had:

An applicant was the son of a surgeon, had years of work experience, because of his dad's position he'd be able to see bucketfuls of operations, straight A* at GCSE, he'd already taken his A levels, and got something absurd like 7As, taken a gap year to work in india as a health worker, I think he'd even been named in a journal article written by his dad. In short, stellar applicant. He came in for interview, and after about 15 minutes the panel were utterly, completely sure he had to be rejected.

Now, the moral of the story can either be that universities don't care about additional A levels (they don't- do 3, spend the extra time volunteering) or, more likely that they don't like arrogance. Now, you may be utterly brilliant, I don't know you and it's not my place to say. But you've come across on here as a tad conceited. The boy in the story was apparently completely sure he could get into UCL too, but it was the fact he was so sure that killed his application stone dead. Admissions people don't like to see arrogance, even if it may be justified. They feel they can't teach people who already feel they know it all, and those who think they're significantly more intelligent than their peers aren't likely to become useful members of the university. The fact that they told us that story right before our interviews indicates perhaps quite how seriously they take it.

I know you've got some stick on here, and I'm genuinely not trying to add to it. But I think it may be worth reconsidering exactly what your beliefs may end up reaping. If you are genuinely talented, it'd be a shame to waste your application by not displaying the "right" attitude. Just some advice...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by Tetanus
Do you mean AAA? :lolwut:

Sorry for not making it clear, I meant A*AA for all unis including Oxbridge,so if OP gets A*AA he's free to apply anywhere. But then I remembered that some unis want an additional AS level, so I generalised and used most unis... instead.
I would drop the maths, the uni open days i have attended and from all the taster course days under the sun.....they do not like any A levels taken over 2+ years...therefore in theory they would disregard maths as part of the offer but consider it as part of an "educated background". If you carry maths on, do not be suprised to find out that maths will most likely not be part of the offer :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending