The Student Room Group

I don't mean to hurt people's feelings BUT...

are some of the people moaning about not being able to get a graduate job just lazy?

From personal experience, the friends of mine with graduate job offers already are those who have been applying since August and have done internships, etc. Yes, they have been rejected a lot but through perseverance have got a job offer.

Other friends who moan about not being able to get a job have maybe made one application and have made very little effort in their uni years to gain employable skills (e.g. travel, join societies, charity work, etc).

Why do these people think they have a right to a graduate job?

Just got back from the pub after having an intense debate with some friends about this and wondered what others opinions were. My friends both disagreed with me and said there simply aren't enough jobs for graduates atm.

Have to say, i was sort of expecting a lot of thumbs down! (thanks for the one thumbs up though whoever that was!)
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

They should look abroad, plus if they go somewhere with no extradition treaty with the UK, they can just not pay back their student loan EVAAAAAAR :borat:
Reply 2
Original post by Barden
They should look abroad, plus if they go somewhere with no extradition treaty with the UK, they can just not pay back their student loan EVAAAAAAR :borat:

About this, do you have to become a citizen of that new country? What happens if you move back to the UK in the future?
Reply 3
It's a bit of both.

Shortage of jobs, definitely, but also a lot of people expect to have a job handed to them.
Original post by kat2pult
About this, do you have to become a citizen of that new country? What happens if you move back to the UK in the future?

I imagine that you get prosecuted for some sort of fraud... but you never know, it might even be completely legal...

I don't see how it would be illegal if:

- You move to a poorer country where you earn enough to live comfortably, but due to exchange rates etc, you still earn below the loan repayment threshold in Sterling.
- You move back after earning that wage abroad for 20 years, as (AFAIK) one's loan gets written off after that length of time.
Reply 5
35% of people in the UK are graduates (2008 figures). 65% of those graduates end up in graduate jobs.

http://www.hecsu.ac.uk/graduate_market_trends_winter_09_what_do_graduates_do.htm
Reply 6
Some people just aren't that career minded so don't pick up on stuff that makes you employable. It's a bit of a shame I guess, but I don't think that it's necessarily a bad thing. I know at least on my part, I'd much rather chill with friends, and spend time how I want to spend it, rather than sit in on my comittee meetings or God forbid, go to one of those "networking events".
Original post by kat2pult

The student loans company are quite keen at tracking people down. A few months after graduating I got a letter stating that I appeared to be neither claiming JSA nor paying back student loan, and was asked to provide evidence of how I was supporting myself (in my case a signed letter from my parents stating that I was living with them). One of the options was living and working abroad in which case there was a whole form to fill out to arrange sending the payments.

If you do try and run away to dodge the repayments, remember that when you first signed up for the loan you had to give the contact details of somebody else (probably one of your parents), so I'm guessing the SLC's next step would be to chase them in order to try and find you. If they knowingly give false information to stop the SLC from finding you, I imagine they could be prosecuted for something too!
Reply 8
Half agree. Most of it is down to the fact employers now aren't looking JUST for a piece of paper to say you did a 3 year course in a certain subject.

We are still in a horrible job market.

And also, some graduates are lazy, some refuse to apply for minimum wage jobs as they believe they are better than that, others think they should automatically have a job handed to them, other's work at a minimum wage job to show employers they've down something.
Reply 9
1) Anecdotal Evidence, Personal Experience etc. is generally statistically worthless if there's only one of them.

2) Dinotopia was awesome.
Original post by Peel
Some people just aren't that career minded so don't pick up on stuff that makes you employable. It's a bit of a shame I guess, but I don't think that it's necessarily a bad thing. I know at least on my part, I'd much rather chill with friends, and spend time how I want to spend it, rather than sit in on my comittee meetings or God forbid, go to one of those "networking events".

I know what you mean about the whole networking thing, I have never attended a "networking event" for probably the same reasons as you... despite being emailed by my university every day about them!
Reply 11
Original post by dinotopiaisawful
I know what you mean about the whole networking thing, I have never attended a "networking event" for probably the same reasons as you... despite being emailed by my university every day about them!

They're no use for breaking into a field. Their sole purpose is to suck schlong with like minded people once you actually have a job.
Reply 12
sort of makes sense i suppose. Unlazy people are more likely to get jobs than lazy
yeah good pointe.
Just because someone has the credentials doesn't mean they'll get a job. Sure you can be the most talented person in the world and guaranteed a spot if you are given an interview but that doesn't mean the company you want to work for is hiring.
Original post by dinotopiaisawful
are some of the people moaning about not being able to get a graduate job just lazy?

From personal experience, the friends of mine with graduate job offers already are those who have been applying since August and have done internships, etc. Yes, they have been rejected a lot but through perseverance have got a job offer.

Other friends who moan about not being able to get a job have maybe made one application and have made very little effort in their uni years to gain employable skills (e.g. travel, join societies, charity work, etc).

Why do these people think they have a right to a graduate job?

Just got back from the pub after having an intense debate with some friends about this and wondered what others opinions were. My friends both disagreed with me and said there simply aren't enough jobs for graduates atm.

Have to say, i was sort of expecting a lot of thumbs down! (thanks for the one thumbs up though whoever that was!)

Or there are **** all jobs above London.
If you are a graduate from a real uni with a real degree you should get a job otherwise it shows the country to be severely lacking high end entry jobs and to have a very poor economy. Just look at the 1970's. If you had a degree you could guarantee a great job, where as now it is utter luck if you get a job as there are so few.
Reply 16
Original post by Jimbo1234
If you are a graduate from a real uni with a real degree you should get a job otherwise it shows the country to be severely lacking high end entry jobs and to have a very poor economy. Just look at the 1970's. If you had a degree you could guarantee a great job, where as now it is utter luck if you get a job as there are so few.

Whilst there is some truth in what you say, if you look at the number of people graduating in 1970 compared to today you realise that it's more a surplus of poorly qualified graduates rather than a shortage of graduate jobs.
Reply 17
Original post by Jimbo1234

When I spoke to many of the older people at my former part time job; they would always talk about the abundance of jobs in the 70s - 90s. None of this intense 4 stage graduate job application process, just a newspaper advertisement: send CV / Covering Letter and go for an interview. I agree with the luck part, but your personality/characteristics also play a huge part in getting job regardless of academic accomplishments.

Also; what would you define as a "real university" with a "real degree?"
Reply 18
Original post by Knowslian
When I spoke to many of the older people at my former part time job; they would always talk about the abundance of jobs in the 70s - 90s. None of this intense 4 stage graduate job application process, just a newspaper advertisement: send CV / Covering Letter and go for an interview. I agree with the luck part, but your personality/characteristics also play a huge part in getting job regardless of academic accomplishments.

Also; what would you define as a "real university" with a "real degree?"

I think you know what he means by real! Traditional subject requiring hard work and relatively high entry standards. None of these media courses that take anyone on.

Then with universities, the russel group and the newer group of them created in 1990s. Also some of the others as some ex ploys are good in certain areas.
Reply 19
Original post by jonny
I think you know what he means by real! Traditional subject requiring hard work and relatively high entry standards. None of these media courses that take anyone on.

Then with universities, the russel group and the newer group of them created in 1990s. Also some of the others as some ex ploys are good in certain areas.

hehe, fair enough mate. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending