The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Needing help re: Leeds accommodation.

Hey everyone,

I've firmed my offer from Leeds, and I went to the accommodation open day on Saturday (26th).
I definitely want to be on campus, but I'm stuck between whether I should apply for catered or self catered - any advice from people in the same position or those who've been through this process would be great!
I think my favourites were Henry Price (for self catered) or Charles Morris (for catered), so any views on them?

Thanks guys!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, my choices were exactly the same but i went for Charles Morris in the end, i worked it out that if i got a standard room there it's only £30 a week more than Henry Price but it includes food too :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
ahh right, thank you! mind if I ask a couple of quick questions?
firstly, what's the food like?
and secondly, was it easy to make friends being in that hall/was everyone friendly? :smile:
Im in Charles Morris right now.

Ask away: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30515590

answers a lot of questions though, read through that. I wrote like an essay on CM.

PM me if you want anything else x
Reply 4
Sorry I didn't make my message very clear .. I haven't started yet either but I've filled in the accommodation thing and have decided to go for Charles Morris :smile: mainly because I think Henry price will be too oversubscribed and I'm worried I'll get shoved far away from campus plus I liked CM when i went to the open day Saturday :smile:
Reply 5
Personally if your not bothered about catered or self catering and you liked both Id go Charlse Morris as like rach-m has said Henry price is usually very over subscribed (its my first choice, seccond being the Tannery)

If you avoid the Headingley Accommodation and Clarence Dock all the rest are well within a 10 min walk to campus, really does depend what you want out of the places though. I never looked at Charles Morris as i dont want a catered place so wouldnt know about the quality of its rooms and facilities but the two ive got down looked fantastic to me.
Reply 6
ah right, thanks guys! I think I'm going to go for Charles Morris - it will be quite nice not to have the added pressure of cooking for myself in the first year, and I'll always move on to self catered in second/third year.
Reply 7
can anyone tell me how to fill out my accommodation form to incline it towards storm jameson?
i can and have selected charles morris, because the option is there, (haven't officially submtted it yet) but i want ensuite and dobree and whetton has some ensuite rooms.
i loved s.j on the accommodation open day and actually had mentally selected it back when i sent off my ucas! any advice much appreciated. :h:
Reply 8
Original post by HappyMeal
can anyone tell me how to fill out my accommodation form to incline it towards storm jameson?
i can and have selected charles morris, because the option is there, (haven't officially submtted it yet) but i want ensuite and dobree and whetton has some ensuite rooms.
i loved s.j on the accommodation open day and actually had mentally selected it back when i sent off my ucas! any advice much appreciated. :h:

Im into storm jameson too, and am also unsure of how to lean it that way :/
eeeerm, they're both catered right? so you cant seperate it that way.
Yeah, i seriously dont know :/
Reply 9
Original post by Lunalocket
Im into storm jameson too, and am also unsure of how to lean it that way :/
eeeerm, they're both catered right? so you cant seperate it that way.
Yeah, i seriously dont know :/

i filled in my application and sent it off today, but before that i called them up and asked them.
i was told apart from filling out 'charles morris' and putting ensuite as no.1 priority, there's nothing else you can do.
the guy said that dobree and whetton is shared bathroom between 2 and s.j is obviously ensuite so that should do the trick, buuuutttt the way i read the accommodaton site was that d and w had ensuite rooms as well. :confused: maybe that's just me! :colondollar:
but there doesn't seem to be anywhere that you can specifically say 's.j please!' lol. :tongue:
Reply 10
i filled in my application and sent it off today, but before that i called them up and asked them.
i was told apart from filling out 'charles morris' and putting ensuite as no.1 priority, there's nothing else you can do.
the guy said that dobree and whetton is shared bathroom between 2 and s.j is obviously ensuite so that should do the trick, buuuutttt the way i read the accommodaton site was that d and w had ensuite rooms as well. :confused: maybe that's just me! :colondollar:
but there doesn't seem to be anywhere that you can specifically say 's.j please!' lol. :tongue:

Itd be pretty good if there was :biggrin:
Just like a little box on the form that you can tick that says 's.j please!'.
I read it that way on the site too, but if thats what the accommodation guy said to do, then thats what im gonna do aswell =)
s.j was the best accommodation i saw, but then again i only had time to see 3.
Which ones did you get to see?
Reply 11
Itd be pretty good if there was :biggrin:
Just like a little box on the form that you can tick that says 's.j please!'.
I read it that way on the site too, but if thats what the accommodation guy said to do, then thats what im gonna do aswell =)
s.j was the best accommodation i saw, but then again i only had time to see 3.
Which ones did you get to see?

well since i sent it off now, i hope that's all it needs!

i saw 3 accommodation places too, but from choice because i wanted on campus and catered (and ensuite). i saw charles morris - s.j and d and w. ellerslie hall and lyddon hall. definitely prefered s.j best and thought ellerslie was nicer than lyddon.
i used the rest of the day to have a good look around campus; saw the refectory and the edge sports centre and such.
i wonder if we were there at the same time!
Reply 12
well since i sent it off now, i hope that's all it needs!

i saw 3 accommodation places too, but from choice because i wanted on campus and catered (and ensuite). i saw charles morris - s.j and d and w. ellerslie hall and lyddon hall. definitely prefered s.j best and thought ellerslie was nicer than lyddon.
i used the rest of the day to have a good look around campus; saw the refectory and the edge sports centre and such.
i wonder if we were there at the same time!

Hay yeah :biggrin: could well have been. I was there quite early though. Cant remember the exact time.
In s.j i got a short tour from a quite posh blonde girl XD
im blonde, kinda short and was by myself, if you saw me.

I like the fact that s.j is catered, en suite and above all looks like a hotel =) But the only down side i can think of is that im scared it wont be sociable, because of how clean and neat it is. I cant imagin people going over to each others rooms to play drinking games, etc. The social scene of a hall is very important to me :s-smilie:

but from the three that i saw (s.j, james baillie and clarence dock) , s.j was clearly the nicest accommodation
Reply 13
Not ging on an accomodation tour seems to have been a major mistake :frown:

I have no clue where im going, but im thinking Charles Morris, pictures look nice, and i want somewhere near campus, where i dont have to cook too much x
Reply 14
Hay yeah :biggrin: could well have been. I was there quite early though. Cant remember the exact time.
In s.j i got a short tour from a quite posh blonde girl XD
im blonde, kinda short and was by myself, if you saw me.

I like the fact that s.j is catered, en suite and above all looks like a hotel =) But the only down side i can think of is that im scared it wont be sociable, because of how clean and neat it is. I cant imagin people going over to each others rooms to play drinking games, etc. The social scene of a hall is very important to me :s-smilie:

but from the three that i saw (s.j, james baillie and clarence dock) , s.j was clearly the nicest accommodation

o then maybe not! :smile: i was there after 1.....or 2 :confused:
i think i had the same tour guide, poor thing must have been saying the same things over and over the whole day! lol.
yeah it does look hotel-like :biggrin:

hmmmm, i dunno, it doesn't look as sociable as some of the smaller halls (i guess it would be easier in those halls because of the size) but then i don't think last year's s.j were all robots who stayed locked in their rooms and only left for lectures :tongue: . at least i hope not :curious:
Reply 15
o then maybe not! :smile: i was there after 1.....or 2 :confused:
i think i had the same tour guide, poor thing must have been saying the same things over and over the whole day! lol.
yeah it does look hotel-like :biggrin:

hmmmm, i dunno, it doesn't look as sociable as some of the smaller halls (i guess it would be easier in those halls because of the size) but then i don't think last year's s.j were all robots who stayed locked in their rooms and only left for lectures :tongue: . at least i hope not :curious:

I havent seen many threads or posts about it because s.j is fairly new, so not many people are out there to tell us what it was like XD
but yeah, i dont think they'd be socially dead, but im scared there will be alot of snobby, private school people there or something, because im pretty damn sure i wont be able to relate to them XD
ahaha

not saying there's anything wrong with private school students, its just when they're all arogant and snobby about it
Reply 16
I havent seen many threads or posts about it because s.j is fairly new, so not many people are out there to tell us what it was like XD
but yeah, i dont think they'd be socially dead, but im scared there will be alot of snobby, private school people there or something, because im pretty damn sure i wont be able to relate to them XD
ahaha

not saying there's anything wrong with private school students, its just when they're all arogant and snobby about it

i know what you mean, that won't be fun.

just so you know at least one person won't be like that there, i'm not snobby or private schooled.
because i'll be living quite far from home my parents prefer me to be on campus as i'm unfamiliar with the city too. s.j also has the bonus of being right next to the buildings i'll be needing, so it just seems ideal in more than one way.
Reply 17
ahaha

I'm pretty sure I'll be applying to SJ and I'm a little worried about that, too (due to the price, mainly). If it helps though, I'm not snobby or from a private school either :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by Abnegation
I'm pretty sure I'll be applying to SJ and I'm a little worried about that, too (due to the price, mainly). If it helps though, I'm not snobby or from a private school either :tongue:

this is why i've ruled it out :tongue: can afford it for a year or two but not rich
Reply 19
I'm sure it will be fine :smile: ... I'm not rich or snobby and I want to be in Charles Morris (although I'd prefer one of the cheaper rooms tbh) I guess it's just luck who you end up with and which ever halls you pick you could end up with people you dont get along with so I think it's best to just pick one you like. Plus CM has quite a lot of people in 1 flat block thing so I'm sure it will be sociable and people will want to be friendly so they has people to go for dinner with :biggrin: haha

Quick Reply

Latest