The Student Room Group

MPharm (5 yr practice integrated) @ Bradford Uni...A YES / NO?.... Help me ASAP plz

Mpharm (5 year practice integrated) Programme at Bradford University...A YES OR NO?

The Uni of Bradford claims that it will provide the pre-reg placements itself, i.e. THE STUDENT DOES NOT NEED TO FIND TO ONE. This being the case, I still see that many people say Bradford is a bad UNI!!!!!!!!!! WHY ? WHY? Am I missing something here, is there a catch here?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!!!!! I HAVE CHOOSE MY UNI's ASAP!

If NO, then what do I pick.....?

The UNI's that I have got into are (with fees per year, [I am an Intl student from Canada]):

1) RGU [Intl tution fees: 11,500 pounds]

2) Brighton [Intl tution fees: 11,580 pounds]

3) Aston [Intl tution fees: 14,700 pounds]...I KNOW ITS A GREAT SCHOOL, but I really don't think I can afford it! So its a NO for me :frown:

4) Bradford 5yr program w. pre-reg integrated [Intl tution fees: 11,400 pounds]

NOTE: I can only go to a school that costs 16,000 pounds per year [TUITION + RESIDENCE]...my max loan amount is 18,000 pounds...

THIS being my situation could you please tell me which UNI I should go to?

God bless you:smile:!..... to all those who help me! Really stressed out here!!!! :confused:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Brighton!
Bradford isnt the best pharmacy school, plus it isnt in the nicest area!
At least Brighton is a fairly good university, very diverse and is near the sea, its brilliant area for socializing, its safe, and its hottest in the south :smile:
For the last time, go to RGU. I will be there. It has 100 percent employment and it is easier to find employment in Scotland. Only 2 pharmacy schools in Scotland, and there are loads of pharmacy schools in england, so competition will be far greater, especially within the next few years.
Reply 3
Original post by firestar101

For the last time, go to RGU. I will be there. It has 100 percent employment and it is easier to find employment in Scotland. Only 2 pharmacy schools in Scotland, and there are loads of pharmacy schools in england, so competition will be far greater, especially within the next few years.

Firestar101: honestly, I know I look like a ****ing idiot for posting this, but I swear I haven't yet got sensible answers to my questions. Yes, you, caponester and daniel have made it very clear that RGU is a superb school with amazing employment rates. BUT amazing employment rates....for the Scotts! I don't know how it works for the international students!!!!!!!! If I was a UK citizen & I told you RGU was a bad school...I'd say you have the right to punch in the face!

Therefore, if you or ANYONE can prove that internationals (specifically) also get a pre-reg for sure , then I promise you I will shut up!
Reply 4
Original post by CrazyDaisy123

Brighton!
Bradford isnt the best pharmacy school, plus it isnt in the nicest area!
At least Brighton is a fairly good university, very diverse and is near the sea, its brilliant area for socializing, its safe, and its hottest in the south :smile:

Hmmm....But did you know Bradford's 5 yr. program gets you the pre-reg without you registering for it (AKA THEY GET IT FOR YOU!!!!!)....despite this fact would you still choose Brighton?
Reply 5
Hmm...actually I think I should start a new thread with title "prove that internationals (specifically) also get a pre-reg for sure", as that's what I am after!!!!!
Original post by CoolDude
Hmmm....But did you know Bradford's 5 yr. program gets you the pre-reg without you registering for it (AKA THEY GET IT FOR YOU!!!!!)....despite this fact would you still choose Brighton?

YES! You can find your own pre-reg year yourself!
Trust me, Brightons a nicer, better, place. And i live in the UK!
Firestar101: honestly, I know I look like a ****ing idiot for posting this, but I swear I haven't yet got sensible answers to my questions. Yes, you, caponester and daniel have made it very clear that RGU is a superb school with amazing employment rates. BUT amazing employment rates....for the Scotts! I don't know how it works for the international students!!!!!!!! If I was a UK citizen & I told you RGU was a bad school...I'd say you have the right to punch in the face!

Therefore, if you or ANYONE can prove that internationals (specifically) also get a pre-reg for sure , then I promise you I will shut up!

Cool, I understand. I guess the best people to ask would be the admissions tutors for each university and ask them directly, as they will know more.

Very few international students go to UK universities, so it is difficult to tell, but I think they should have no problems here.
Reply 8

Cool, I understand. I guess the best people to ask would be the admissions tutors for each university and ask them directly, as they will know more.

Very few international students go to UK universities, so it is difficult to tell, but I think they should have no problems here.

Ok, firestar101 ....I shall do that and get back to you. Thanks so much for the advice :smile:!
Reply 9

YES! You can find your own pre-reg year yourself!
Trust me, Brightons a nicer, better, place. And i live in the UK!

Hmmm.....Ok. But, I think I should totally do what firestar101 said (email the admissions tutors about this). After this I will get back to you if I have anymore questions. Thank you for your reply CrazyDaisy123 :smile:!
Reply 10
CoolDude,

I understand you are from Canada. I do not know what you plan to do after graduation,but if you intend to go back to Canada and practice pharmacy ,would it not be wise to do your pre-reg there? I do not know if that were possible though. The point is, your degree from the UK would not be recognized in Canada..BTW, what conditions did Bradford and others ask you to fulfil? 85% in all subjects? I also heard pharmacists make quite a lot over there ($100.000+ a year)?? Good luck.

I'd assume internationals can get a placement as easy as UK students can. Afterall, it's basically integrated into the programme; you can't be a qualified pharmacist without one. Therefore I don't see hoe thr University won't ty it's hardest to let you be a fully functional pharmacist, international or not!
RGU get a lot of Irish students in their Pharmacy course. They're not UK citizens either, but must become a pharmacist somehow :tongue:. I saw last year a vietnameese student who's doing pharmacy at Rgu. (I can't find her Tsr page and forgot her name :tongue: ).
Original post by BenHur
CoolDude,

I understand you are from Canada. I do not know what you plan to do after graduation,but if you intend to go back to Canada and practice pharmacy ,would it not be wise to do your pre-reg there? I do not know if that were possible though. The point is, your degree from the UK would not be recognized in Canada..BTW, what conditions did Bradford and others ask you to fulfil? 85% in all subjects? I also heard pharmacists make quite a lot over there ($100.000+ a year)?? Good luck.

You need extra studying/training to become a pharmacist abroad. Registering as a pharmacist does not register you as a pharmacist in other countries. - and to get this extra training you need to become a pharmacist first :tongue:

That's a pile of tripe :tongue:
For the last time, go to RGU. I will be there.

Lol.
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes, you, caponester and daniel have made it very clear that RGU is a superb school with amazing employment rates. BUT amazing employment rates....for the Scotts!!

Did I once say this? I think I have been quite clear in my advice to you regarding universities and potential employment afterwards. RGU has such 'amazing' employment rates because it almost entirely caters for vocational studies. As I have told you already, it does not matter if you are Scottish, Irish, Canadian or from the planet Mars; if you complete the MPharm at an accredited UK school of pharmacy then you are on a level playing field with everyone else for jobs. One could even go a step further and say you would be at an advantage seeing as English is presumably your first language.

Also, with all due respect to other members (i.e. potential applicants or those holding offers), don't listen to them. They are relying on a combination of what I and other students have told them and what they've read online. Base your decision on the following,

1) Country you want to study in
2) City you want to study in
3) Fee's
4) Course content
5) Reputation

If you wish to do your pre-reg in Scotland then you must study at either RGU or Strathclyde. I actually prefer Glasgow to Aberdeen as a city but seeing as you haven't applied to Strathclyde we won't take this point any further. RGU is reasonably clinical from year 3 onwards. Most other MPharm courses are similar. As far as reputation is concerned, RGU has a decent one for pharmacy and is very possibly one of the better modern universities in the UK.

I don't know much about the Bradford course but I hear that is how the GPhC want MPharm courses to run in the future. I'm absolutely against it because it means you will essentialy be unpaid during your pre-registration year. If money was no object, out of those five choices, I'd be tempted to accept Aston over RGU because of it's location alone. I've just had a swatch at the course content and it looks almost identical to ours.
Reply 13
Original post by Caponester

Did I once say this? I think I have been quite clear in my advice to you regarding universities and potential employment afterwards. RGU has such 'amazing' employment rates because it almost entirely caters for vocational studies. As I have told you already, it does not matter if you are Scottish, Irish, Canadian or from the planet Mars; if you complete the MPharm at an accredited UK school of pharmacy then you are on a level playing field with everyone else for jobs. One could even go a step further and say you would be at an advantage seeing as English is presumably your first language.

Also, with all due respect to other members (i.e. potential applicants or those holding offers), don't listen to them. They are relying on a combination of what I and other students have told them and what they've read online. Base your decision on the following,

1) Country you want to study in
2) City you want to study in
3) Fee's
4) Course content
5) Reputation

If you wish to do your pre-reg in Scotland then you must study at either RGU or Strathclyde. I actually prefer Glasgow to Aberdeen as a city but seeing as you haven't applied to Strathclyde we won't take this point any further. RGU is reasonably clinical from year 3 onwards. Most other MPharm courses are similar. As far as reputation is concerned, RGU has a decent one for pharmacy and is very possibly one of the better modern universities in the UK.

I don't know much about the Bradford course but I hear that is how the GPhC want MPharm courses to run in the future. I'm absolutely against it because it means you will essentialy be unpaid during your pre-registration year. If money was no object, out of those five choices, I'd be tempted to accept Aston over RGU because of it's location alone. I've just had a swatch at the course content and it looks almost identical to ours.

I guess you have officially removed my worries. LOL! I think basing my decision on the factors that you have stated makes good sense. thanks a million & god bless you ALLAN!!! :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Sorry for the late reply.
I guess you have officially removed my worries. LOL! I think basing my decision on the factors that you have stated makes good sense. thanks a million & god bless you ALLAN!!! :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Sorry for the late reply.

No problem. All the best, wherever you choose to study.
Can I ask you a question, cooldude.

After you complete the pharmacy degree in the uk, do you plan on practising as a pharmacist in canada. I was thinking of going to canada, but I am not sure of the process to register there.

Maybe you know.

Do you have anything to back that up? Or are you just going off the fact we have less pharmacy schools? Because England has more pharmacies.

If you wish to do your pre-reg in Scotland then you must study at either RGU or Strathclyde.

Really? Can English people not apply through NES? I didn't know that, seems a bit unfair.

Sorry, off-topic but I think other people have answered your question. Might just add that them organising your pre-reg for you might not necessarily be a good thing. I don't know how it works, maybe you get to make all your own decisions, but I assume they'll want you to stay around the Bradford area (I know all the hospitals nearby have places set aside for those students) and you possibly don't get paid for it. That's just going off what someone said earlier in the thread though.
Original post by New...Romantic
Really? Can English people not apply through NES? I didn't know that, seems a bit unfair.

This is an uncomfortable grey area. In order to gain a NES place you must have worked in Scotland to be on an employers preferred list (i.e. done a summer placement here or worked part time for a pharmacy - this is obviously less of an option for english students!)

Once on these preferred lists you are matched to NES funding if you perform well at interview. To the best of my knowledge, Scottish candidates are either preferred or solely considered at this stage making english applicants doing NES pre-reg's either very difficult or actually impossible.

I agree it is unfair, I'm doing my pre-reg in England after 4 years of the Scottish educational system paying my way. Unfair yes, but that is the way the game is played!
Reply 18

Can I ask you a question, cooldude.

After you complete the pharmacy degree in the uk, do you plan on practising as a pharmacist in canada. I was thinking of going to canada, but I am not sure of the process to register there.

Maybe you know.

Hey Firestar101,

Are you Canadian or Scottish? is any one in your family a canadian? => if you answer yes to anyone of these it's waaay easier.

then you have to get the PEBC certification. (pretty lengthy process....but a lot of people do it....so it's not impossible)

The exact process is clearly given in this site:
http://www.pebc.ca/index.php/ci_id/4910/la_id/1.htm

For me, I plan to practice as a pharmacist in UK for a few years and then hopefully move to Canada. But all of the Canadians go right away after their MPharm to Canada :frown: (aka they dont do pre-reg in UK). But I have to stay in UK & GET A JOB ASAP....as I am poor !!!!!!! In other words, the interest from my loans will be soaring high right after my fourth year, so if I go to Canada, I think it will definitely take me a while (1 year?)to get the PEBC stuff done & get a JOB!... so that 1 year with out a Job ...I can't do that..... Therefore I need to GET A JOB/pre-reg ASAP in UK or I have to shoot myself. YEP! it sucks to be POOR! Hopefully, I will never be poor after my MPharm!!!

SO THAT"S EXACTLY WHY COOLDUDE STARTED THIS THREAD....TO SOLVE THE PRE-REG PARANOIA and thanks to all those who helped :smile:!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19

Do you have anything to back that up? Or are you just going off the fact we have less pharmacy schools? Because England has more pharmacies.

Sorry, off-topic but I think other people have answered your question. Might just add that them organising your pre-reg for you might not necessarily be a good thing. I don't know how it works, maybe you get to make all your own decisions, but I assume they'll want you to stay around the Bradford area (I know all the hospitals nearby have places set aside for those students) and you possibly don't get paid for it. That's just going off what someone said earlier in the thread though.

NOPE! New...Romantic, they explicitly say students get paid between 16-20,000 pounds per annum during the integrated Pre-Reg. Also, May I know which uni you're going to or which one you have firmed?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending