The Student Room Group

MPharm (5 yr practice integrated) @ Bradford Uni...A YES / NO?.... Help me ASAP plz

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Caponester

This is an uncomfortable grey area. In order to gain a NES place you must have worked in Scotland to be on an employers preferred list (i.e. done a summer placement here or worked part time for a pharmacy - this is obviously less of an option for english students!)

Once on these preferred lists you are matched to NES funding if you perform well at interview. To the best of my knowledge, Scottish candidates are either preferred or solely considered at this stage making english applicants doing NES pre-reg's either very difficult or actually impossible.

I agree it is unfair, I'm doing my pre-reg in England after 4 years of the Scottish educational system paying my way. Unfair yes, but that is the way the game is played!

YEAH! I guess that's good news for me....:smile:! Less competition at least in NES!
Original post by CoolDude
Hey Firestar101,

Are you Canadian or Scottish? is any one in your family a canadian? => if you answer yes to anyone of these it's waaay easier.

then you have to get the PEBC certification. (pretty lengthy process....but a lot of people do it....so it's not impossible)

The exact process is clearly given in this site:
http://www.pebc.ca/index.php/ci_id/4910/la_id/1.htm

For me, I plan to practice as a pharmacist in UK for a few years and then hopefully move to Canada. But all of the Canadians go right away after their MPharm to Canada :frown: (aka they dont do pre-reg in UK). But I have to stay in UK & GET A JOB ASAP....as I am poor !!!!!!! In other words, the interest from my loans will be soaring high right after my fourth year, so if I go to Canada, I think it will definitely take me a while (1 year?)to get the PEBC stuff done & get a JOB!... so that 1 year with out a Job ...I can't do that..... Therefore I need to GET A JOB/pre-reg ASAP in UK or I have to shoot myself. YEP! it sucks to be POOR!

SO THAT"S EXACTLY WHY COOLDUDE STARTED THIS THREAD....TO SOLVE THE PRE-REG PARANOIA and thanks to all those who helped :smile:!

I am Scottish. I do not know anybody in Canada. The salary for pharmacists in Canada is far higher than in the UK, around 100,000 dollars or am I thinking of America.

I have heard that Canada is a great place to live, so I was thinking of becoming a pharmacist there after I finish my degree in the UK.

How much is your interest in your loans likely to be? Also, how much money are you taking out on loans. I am assuming it will be around 10,000 or so for each year.

I know what you mean about being poor. It sucks, as I am from a poor family as well. We were rich at one point, but not anymore. It's a long story.

Anyway, I actually wanted to study medicine abroad, but the fees are sky high. No way I could afford them.

Have you decided what uni you want to go to. Also, are you confident you can meet the grade requirements.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'd do anything right now to be a pharm grad.

£40k a year, christ on a bike
Reply 23
Original post by firestar101

I am Scottish. I do not know anybody in Canada. The salary for pharmacists in Canada is far higher than in the UK, around 100,000 dollars or am I thinking if America.

I have heard that Canada is a great place to live, so I was thinking of becoming a pharmacist there after I finish my degree in the UK.

How much is your interest in your loans likely to be? Also, how much money are you taking out on loans. I am assuming it will be around 10,000 or so for each year.

I know what you mean about being poor. It sucks, as I am from a poor family as well. We were rich atone point, but not anymore. It's a long story.

Anyway, I actually wanted to study medicine abroad, but the fees are sky high. No way I could afford them.

Have you decided what uni you want to go to. Also, are you confident you can meet the grade requirements.

For the grades..............COOLDUDE is cool for the grades!!!!!! aka I have done that.

I haven't chosen my schools yet. I am planning on firming Robert Gordon and insurance for Brighton. BUT again, Bradford looks a lot cheaper! So now all I need to know is about the COST OF LIVING IN Aberdeen! if you could please help me with that it will be great. Again I cannot afford a single pound more than 17,000 pounds (tution +res + everything else)...so do you think it will be possible?

OH major question: does the accommodation/res include food at RGU?

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! ME TOO........... "I actually wanted to study medicine abroad" and couldn't afford it!

I think in Canada the bare minimum is 80,000 or more for a pharmacist (75% sure).... still NOT bad you know....when compared with US.
-

Seeing as I'm still awake. Aberdeen is expensive to live in. Student halls are cheap and cheerful and you can live in them for the entire 4 years if you desire. Last time I checked student halls were about £2,800 for the year. You might want to check this however.

I can't comment on the price of living in Bradford. You couldn't pay me to live there.
Reply 25

Seeing as I'm still awake. Aberdeen is expensive to live in. Student halls are cheap and cheerful and you can live in them for the entire 4 years if you desire. Last time I checked student halls were about £2,800 for the year. You might want to check this however.

I can't comment on the price of living in Bradford. You couldn't pay me to live there.

Oh WOW! May I know why? Too much crime or something along those lines?
Oh WOW! May I know why? Too much crime or something along those lines?

Haha, I have no idea. It's just not near anything decent. That's all.
Reply 27

Haha, I have no idea. It's just not near anything decent. That's all.

LOL! Oh, Ok I see.
For the grades..............COOLDUDE is cool for the grades!!!!!! aka I have done that.

I haven't chosen my schools yet. I am planning on firming Robert Gordon and insurance for Brighton. BUT again, Bradford looks a lot cheaper! So now all I need to know is about the COST OF LIVING IN Aberdeen! if you could please help me with that it will be great. Again I cannot afford a single pound more than 17,000 pounds (tution +res + everything else)...so do you think it will be possible?

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! ME TOO........... "I actually wanted to study medicine abroad" and couldn't afford it!

I think in Canada the bare minimum is 80,000 or more for a pharmacist (75% sure).... still NOT bad you know....when compared with US.

No. You feed yourself.

I am going to get a part time Job in aberdeen when I go there this year. It is fairly ok to get a job there. The accommodation is quite cheap. Still about 2800 pounds per year. You should have enough to survive on 17,000 pounds per year.

What carponester says may be true about aberdeen, but most places are expensive these days. I live in Glasgow and it is quite expensive to live here also. As long as you spend your money wisely and budget according to each week and so on, you should be fine.

You have to pay for food separately . That is the same in every university, but you can pay for self catered accommodation. Not sure about the price though.l
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Daniel-Ballingall
No. You feed yourself.

Oh ok, thanks. LOL! this was the ques. I wanted to ask you earlier! Totally forgot.

Quick ques. do you live in Aberdeen?
I am going to get a part time Job in aberdeen when I go there this year. It is fairly ok to get a job there. The accommodation is quite cheap. Still about 2800 pounds per year. You should have enough to survive on 17,000 pounds per year.

What carponester says may be true about aberdeen, but most places are expensive these days. I live in Glasgow and it is quite expensive to live here also. As long as you spend your money wisely and budget according to each week and so on, you should be fine.

You have to pay for food separately . That is the same in every university, but you can pay for self catered accommodation. Not sure about the price though.l

You get catered too :tongue: But none of the halls in RGU are catered.
Oh ok, thanks. LOL! this was the ques. I wanted to ask you earlier! Totally forgot.

Quick ques. do you live in Aberdeen?

You said the question had something to do with pre-reg :wink:
No. I've been to Aberdeen 3 times. Twice for open days. :tongue: So you won't be the only one who's lost! (if you come)
Reply 33

Even-though my tuition is 11,500 + res 2,800 = ~15,000 pounds & the remaining 3000 pounds would be Ok to eat, buy textbooks, etc?

hmmm....don't know why I got neg rep there....just wanted to make sure..thats all!
(edited 13 years ago)
You get catered too :tongue: But none of the halls in RGU are catered.

Never knew that. Oh well, guess we buy our own food then.
Even-though my tuition is 11,500 + res 2,800 = ~15,000 pounds & the reaming 3000 pounds would be Ok to eat, buy textbooks, etc?

Sorry about the negative rep. It was an accident. I am using my phone and was trying to quote you, but clicked on the hands down button. My phone is touch screen, so very sensitive. Sorry.

You should be fine with that amount. I will have the same amount left over also. I will be taking a 6000 loan. About half that will go into accommodation, the rest on food, etc.

You should have enough, as long as you budget properly. Textbooks you can just borrow books from the library to save money. They will not be too expensive or download some pharmacy ebooks off the internet like I do. Lol. They are quite eay to find. I can even send you some once I find them.

I am going to sleep now. I will reply again tommorow. Night.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
You said the question had something to do with pre-reg :wink:
No. I've been to Aberdeen 3 times. Twice for open days. :tongue: So you won't be the only one who's lost! (if you come)

LOL! again! ....you have a good memory Daniel! the ques about pre-reg was answered by Caponester. I had this ques. in my mind as well! Thanks for your interest!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37

Sorry about the negative rep. It was an accident. I am using my phone and was trying to quote you, vut clicked on the hands down button. My phone is touch screen, so very sensitive.

You should be fine with that amount. I will have the same amount left over also. I will be taking a 6000 loan. About half that will go into accommodation, the rest on food, etc.

You should have enough, as long as you budget properly. Textbooks you can just borrow books from the library to save money. They will not be too expensive or download some pharmacy ebooks off the internet like I do. Lol. They are quite eay to find. I can even send you some.

I am going to sleep now. I will reply again tommorow.

Ok apology accepted! And thanks for your reply firestar101!
NOPE! New...Romantic, they explicitly say students get paid between 16-20,000 pounds per annum during the integrated Pre-Reg. Also, May I know which uni you're going to or which one you have firmed?

Oh right, well I did say I was just going off what someone else (Caponester I think) had said about integrated pre-reg being unpaid. I'm at Strathclyde so I can't really comment on your choices other than to say I applied to RGU and it seemed nice when I visited so it wouldn't be a bad choice. Unless you mind being so far North. As for the cost of living, I'm not sure on this but I'd assume Brighton would cost more purely because it's so far South. You might want to look at how much renting would cost if you'd have to leave halls after first year.
Reply 39
Original post by New...Romantic

Original post by New...Romantic
Oh right, well I did say I was just going off what someone else (Caponester I think) had said about integrated pre-reg being unpaid. I'm at Strathclyde so I can't really comment on your choices other than to say I applied to RGU and it seemed nice when I visited so it wouldn't be a bad choice. Unless you mind being so far North. As for the cost of living, I'm not sure on this but I'd assume Brighton would cost more purely because it's so far South. You might want to look at how much renting would cost if you'd have to leave halls after first year.

Oh Ok LOL! Hmmm...then RGU it is!!!! Yep, its pretty expensive in Brighton (atleast a 1000+ pounds more than Aberdeen). My friend from Canada is studying there, but I don't think I can do that as I cant afford it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending