The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Stig

Looks good. Has the same sort of formula as the old film, though that's no bad thing. By the looks of things the geeky guy with the glasses has got rid of his annoying wife (or did he do that in the last film? I can't remember now).

Gahh they should have gotten Charlie Sheen to cameo, it would be so hilarious to watch in hindsight of all that's happened recently
Reply 661
failed internet iconoclasm, **** yeah
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Gahh they should have gotten Charlie Sheen to cameo, it would be so hilarious to watch in hindsight of all that's happened recently

That'd have been awesome. Though probably impossible as the film was likely filmed last year? (Not really sure on film shooting time scales :tongue:) ... Sheen only went totally nuts recently.
Original post by The Stig
That'd have been awesome. Though probably impossible as the film was likely filmed last year? (Not really sure on film shooting time scales :tongue:) ... Sheen only went totally nuts recently.

lol yeah, but if it was still filmed with Charlie Sheen in it last year, seeing him in it in summer would be funny in hindsight of what's happened

Scary movie 3 was on last week, found every scene with sheen like twice as funny :cool:

Also Phalanges, I think I've found your long lost brother who also posts on TSR

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=368147
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by cambo211
He did it at the end of the last one :yep:

Ah I thought so, although I can't remember it! I think I need to re-watch it even though the my list of 'to-watch' films just keeps getting longer :tongue:
Off topic: I now have a new favourite facepalm to use.

(edited 13 years ago)
Just watched Sucker Punch. For the first time in a film, I didn't have a clue what the film was about and just enjoyed the action scenes. But I can see certain similarities with the film One flew over the cuckoo's nest and it looks like an action version of it.

Tbh it was an alright film but there are some weird stuff like one minute the girl dances in a room and the next she's in a battlefield with a Bid Daddy lookalike fighting Nazi robots :lolwut:

Although the quotes they use are so badass and philosophical at the same time. 'It's you, you have all the weapons you need, now FIGHT!':cool:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jace Falco

I know, man. It's so confusing, it made me frown! This is why I prefer stuff like Will Ferrell films! Have you seen 'Talladega Nights'? It is so funny!

I like the part where he yells at the camera.
Reply 668
Someone called Donny Osmand just donated to my charity fundraising page with this memo;

Mainly because i've had a bottle of wine and just watched a Bergman film about how i am going to die unhappy and unfulfilled. And also because charitable giving is clearly all about self-fulfilment. I am so generous.

A fellow Bergman lover! But who is he...?
Tom.
x

T1990
x

Mr Blobby
x

Welcome to the Film Chat thread and society! :h:
Original post by channy
Someone called Donny Osmand just donated to my charity fundraising page with this memo;

A fellow Bergman lover! But who is he...?

A TSR user? Do you have your charity page linked on TSR?
Reply 671
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
A TSR user? Do you have your charity page linked on TSR?

No, I have an embarassing photo of me naked in a chefs apron, so I wouldn't, hehe. I'm intrigued, all the donors have been anonymous and or I'm not sure who they are.

I'm actually suprised and a lot more grateful than I thought I'd be for the donations.

I'd say god bless em, but instead I'll say may all the gods in the pantheon above bless em.

g'night
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by SteveCrain
Ok; seems confusing was the wrong work; ****, is more appropriate.

Anyone care to back up the neg rep, in justifying why bladerunner was a good film? The locations were dire and, with so much being omitted from the book, the characters undeveloped.

There's little point. You have already formed your negative opinion of the film. We have ours, and to be frank - no matter how much your opinion differs, you can never take away from the great work that Blade Runner is from both of its time and 'till this day. Nor can you take back how it influenced future works, nor take away from its acting, story, visuals, philosophical themes and complex narrative just because you didn't pay attention or put in the effort when watching. The soundtrack and atmosphere are astounding, the futuristic, dystopian world is beautifully crafted, the setting, set design and visuals are sublime, and the story allows for wide interpretation of its many themes. More importantly, it brings to light those philosophical questions: What does it mean to be human? It's like a lens, the film offers social commentary on many aspects of society - that are still relevant to this day. It's intelligent, innovative and profound, haunting and sentimental. It's subtle but powerful (unicorn). That much is undeniable and obvious from an objective viewpoint.

Of course it has weaknesses like any other film, but its strengths gloss over any glaring imperfections. I just don't see how that warrants calling it '****'. The only implication seems to arise from that is that you can't appreciate a film for what it is, what is represents and what effect it has had.
(edited 13 years ago)
I was playing Mass Effect, and I thought about doing a Renegade action, but I could barely bring myself to carry it out.

So I became a cop.

Only semi-joking there.

Original post by Christien
blechhhhhhhh. I love Firefly as much as the next guy, but if Serenity wins it will be the ultimate triumph of fanboy retards over people who genuinely love film ffs

our world is doomed

Original post by channy

Anyway, I remember you posting the quote from this a few pages back

One of the many tragedies in this poll...

Well, looking at the results so far...Blade Runner seems like a lost cause. Here's to Empire hopefully ****ing demolishing Serenity. :pierre:

io9 comment
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. ET on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched the Terminator glitter in the darkness crushed at the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.

Serenity, time to die.
Reply 674
Original post by The Cornerstone
Just watched Sucker Punch. For the first time in a film, I didn't have a clue what the film was about and just enjoyed the action scenes. But I can see certain similarities with the film One flew over the cuckoo's nest and it looks like an action version of it.

Tbh it was an alright film but there are some weird stuff like one minute the girl dances in a room and the next she's in a battlefield with a Bid Daddy lookalike fighting Nazi robots :lolwut:

Although the quotes they use are so badass and philosophical at the same time. 'It's you, you have all the weapons you need, now FIGHT!':cool:

Really? I didn't plan on watching it any time soon, but if it really is similar to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, then perhaps I should...

I haven't heard anything about the movie to suggest it's in the same bracket as One Flew Over, however - you do mean it's thematically similar, right? I just assumed it was a action-with-little-substance film (really shouldn't do that :colondollar:).

SteveCrain
Anyone care to back up the neg rep, in justifying why bladerunner was a good film? The locations were dire and, with so much being omitted from the book, the characters undeveloped.

For one, it was incredibly beautiful. Secondly, it delved into very thought-provoking issues (reality, humanity, religion and all that). I have no idea what you exactly mean by 'the locations were dire' - care to elaborate? And I don't feel the relative lack of character development detracted from the movie overall: not many of the characters in themselves were especially important to the central issue the movie addressed.

Ape Gone Insane
Well, looking at the results so far...Blade Runner seems like a lost cause. Here's to Empire hopefully ****ing demolishing Serenity. :pierre:

Have you realized that every time someone says that, Serenity wins? :holmes: And until when is the poll open? Last time I checked, the vote proportion was something like 53-47, so I think Blade Runner may still have a chance...

Also, went through the last couple of pages, and just felt obliged to please request all members to USE SPOILERS when you're going to explicitly state what happens in a movie. :h:
Empire awards!

At first I was like ugh, stupid fanboys giving an award to Harry Potter. Then I started to be more impressed when I saw Noomi Rapace and Four Lions picking up an award, and Inception winning best film. Then I hit best director and OMG! Ed Wright! Wooo!
^Scott pilgrim was his worst film so far, I don't know why it was so well received.
Scott Pilgrim V the world is a tricky one... I like it overall, like the overall style, tone of the film and everything, thought all the references to games, comics were cool but at the same time I didn't find it hysterically funny, but it was enjoyable

most audiences didn't seem to think so, it kinda tried to appeal to like 3 audience types at once and didn't quite work commercially though. That and people are getting bored of Michael Ceras' typecast roles
Reply 678
Original post by Phalanges
Hey guys, thanks for your reviews - I've added them to the first post of the thread. :biggrin:

Mo-Amin, your positive review of Sucker Punch was really pleasing to see after the drumming it's been getting from critics. I'm going to go and see it next week, so I'll let you know my thoughts soon!

Haha, do!
Whatever you think of it, just pleeaase don't go into it expecting tasteless action - I think there's a little more to it even if it wasn't executed to perfection. =]
Original post by Abiraleft
Really? I didn't plan on watching it any time soon, but if it really is similar to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, then perhaps I should...

I haven't heard anything about the movie to suggest it's in the same bracket as One Flew Over, however - you do mean it's thematically similar, right? I just assumed it was a action-with-little-substance film (really shouldn't do that :colondollar:).

Well it looks like Zack Snyder was a bit inspired by One Flew over the Cuckoo's nest and you have some moments when you think 'Oh I see what you did there' for example I saw that he took a bit of the confusing part of Inception by having a fantasy within a fantasy.

But tbh you will only really enjoy the action scenes (although sometimes they're OTT, they can be impressive), I didn't understand the plot until I was half way through the film.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending