The Student Room Group

Shy all the time with the guy I'm going out with.

I have some minor concern about the guy I'm with right now. We are not boyfriends and girlfriends yet but, whenever we are together we just feel awkward to each other. We've only hanged out 4x but I still feel shy around him. I like him a lot and he does like me a lot too, but when we are together I feel shy and I feel like if I ask him something or open up a conversation he might not respond while he's driving and I'm gonna feel embarrassed. Can anyone here give me some advice? I just don't know how to overcome the awkwardness/shyness whenever I'm around him but when we are alone in the room we would cuddle and not be shy anymore. It's only when we're in his car going somewhere that makes it awkward because of the silence, or when we are walking somewhere and also in the restaurant. I'm his first proper girl even though I only had 1 guy before him I feel like I don't know how to do things again when it comes to this.

My other observation on him too is that he is always serious. I mean, I would joke around but he would respond with either yes or no only. And I can see on his face that he doesn't find it funny or maybe it's just me. Thing is, I look at peoples expression all the time and when I see something even if its just a weird movement in the eye I would think that it meant something and I always think of everything negatively. :sad:

I really need to start working on myself. I'm always a shy person and I have self-confidence issues that I feel like it's going to affect my relationship with the guy I'm seeing right now and I don't want that to happen.

Anyone, I need advice and tips. Thank you! I appreciate it.
Original post by Anonymous
I have some minor concern about the guy I'm with right now. We are not boyfriends and girlfriends yet but, whenever we are together we just feel awkward to each other. We've only hanged out 4x but I still feel shy around him. I like him a lot and he does like me a lot too, but when we are together I feel shy and I feel like if I ask him something or open up a conversation he might not respond while he's driving and I'm gonna feel embarrassed. Can anyone here give me some advice? I just don't know how to overcome the awkwardness/shyness whenever I'm around him but when we are alone in the room we would cuddle and not be shy anymore. It's only when we're in his car going somewhere that makes it awkward because of the silence, or when we are walking somewhere and also in the restaurant. I'm his first proper girl even though I only had 1 guy before him I feel like I don't know how to do things again when it comes to this.

My other observation on him too is that he is always serious. I mean, I would joke around but he would respond with either yes or no only. And I can see on his face that he doesn't find it funny or maybe it's just me. Thing is, I look at peoples expression all the time and when I see something even if its just a weird movement in the eye I would think that it meant something and I always think of everything negatively. :sad:

I really need to start working on myself. I'm always a shy person and I have self-confidence issues that I feel like it's going to affect my relationship with the guy I'm seeing right now and I don't want that to happen.

In the car quite a few people don't like talking because it distracts them. You could just sing or something to make it less awkward, or start a conversation and if he doesn't reply, ask him why he isn't talking. You should be very open about it, and not hide the fact that you want him to talk to you, but make it seem like kind of a joke and see what he says

If one of the moments come up where you don't know if he's happy/annoyed or whatever, again, be open about it and ask him whether he's annoyed
Reply 2
The best advice your gonna get on here is "Just talk to him about it"
Reply 3
Original post by Refrigerator

Original post by Refrigerator
In the car quite a few people don't like talking because it distracts them. You could just sing or something to make it less awkward, or start a conversation and if he doesn't reply, ask him why he isn't talking. You should be very open about it, and not hide the fact that you want him to talk to you, but make it seem like kind of a joke and see what he says

If one of the moments come up where you don't know if he's happy/annoyed or whatever, again, be open about it and ask him whether he's annoyed

I have a few more question, what would guys think if the girl text/call him first? This is also one of my concern, sometimes I would wait for him on fb chat to pm me first before I talk to him. Even if we're both online, I feel like if I chat him first I would immediately think that I'm bothering him or something like that. It's driving me crazy to be honest!I hate that my mind thinks like this all the time.
Reply 4
I have a few more question, what would guys think if the girl text/call him first? This is also one of my concern, sometimes I would wait for him on fb chat to pm me first before I talk to him. Even if we're both online, I feel like if I chat him first I would immediately think that I'm bothering him or something like that. It's driving me crazy to be honest!I hate that my mind thinks like this all the time.

I love it when girls text/talk to me first on FB chat :biggrin:

Don't worry about it everyone likes confidence
Reply 5
Original post by Wasnerello

Original post by Wasnerello
I love it when girls text/talk to me first on FB chat :biggrin:

Don't worry about it everyone likes confidence

I guess. I just hope he knows how to continue a conversation and not just respond on me with a one word answer or a laughing voice. :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Bump. anyone else?
Reply 7
drink before you go out, that'll give you some confidence
Reply 8
Original post by Tom78

Original post by Tom78
drink before you go out, that'll give you some confidence

I dont drink though.
Damn I feel hopeless :sad:
Reply 9
I dont drink though.
Damn I feel hopeless :sad:

Not sure if you would be willing to try it, but counselling could help with self-confidence and paranoia :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by ForKicks

Not sure if you would be willing to try it, but counselling could help with self-confidence and paranoia :smile:

I'm looking into that, but I am seeing him next week so I have to do something or have something fun to talk about when I go see him for the meantime.
Reply 11
I'm looking into that, but I am seeing him next week so I have to do something or have something fun to talk about when I go see him for the meantime.

You need to break the ice somehow..If you can get the courage one day to address your issues directly, you will find that after that things will get much easier. If he is really going to make a good bf he would be understanding and sympathetic
Reply 12

You need to break the ice somehow..If you can get the courage one day to address your issues directly, you will find that after that things will get much easier. If he is really going to make a good bf he would be understanding and sympathetic

I'll try. He would only open up things to me when we are chatting on fb but in real life he wouldn't talk anything deeper when it comes to me and him but when it comes to other topic like personal problems we would talk about it. It's like he's shy to talk about us. But I guess I'll just have to do it then, since he is to coward or shy to talk because I'm his first proper girl. :s-smilie:
Thanks! I'll see what I can do and earn courage to break the ice next week.
Reply 13
I'll try. He would only open up things to me when we are chatting on fb but in real life he wouldn't talk anything deeper when it comes to me and him but when it comes to other topic like personal problems we would talk about it. It's like he's shy to talk about us. But I guess I'll just have to do it then, since he is to coward or shy to talk because I'm his first proper girl. :s-smilie:
Thanks! I'll see what I can do and earn courage to break the ice next week.

I went for the direct approach with my first gf for a similar situation. It ended up with us both laughing hysterically after that (I forget why). Afterwards the relationship just felt a lot more comfortable though! Good luck :smile:
Reply 14

I went for the direct approach with my first gf for a similar situation. It ended up with us both laughing hysterically after that (I forget why). Afterwards the relationship just felt a lot more comfortable though! Good luck :smile:

haha. wow, i hope mine turns out like that too. I guess the first weeks of dating is just awkward. :p: Thanks btw.

Well since it seems like he isn't too interested in jokes or doesn't find many things funny, try doing other things than joking around with him.

Try to take an interest in what he likes or talk about the things he is; most importantly, don't be shy.

I can understand you being nervous around the guy because you're attracted to him, but guys like girls with confidence and the more confident you are, the more he's going to take interest in you.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Young Spade

Original post by Young Spade
Well since it seems like he isn't too interested in jokes or doesn't find many things funny, try doing other things than joking around with him.

Try to take an interest in what he likes or talk about the things he is; most importantly, don't be shy.

I can understand you being nervous around the guy because you're attracted to him, but guys like girls with confidence and the more confident you are, the more he's going to take interest in you.

Hope this helps :smile:

We do talk about the things he is, we talk about our family issues and our plans after university. The thing that I noticed about him is that, when he is going to talk or ask anything about us (me&him) he would do it on facebook/text instead of talking to me about it while we are together physically. He likes baseball and even though I find baseball a bit boring, I'm actually doing research about it especially that baseball season just started now and he's a big fan of The A's. :biggrin: So yeah, but still though. Everytime I tell him that I can watch sports with him, he's like 'No, i want to watch something where you and me can watch it together and I don't want to bore you with sports'. That statement that he said made me though that his mindset is always gonna be like that because that happened lots of time already even though I told him I can watch it because I'm trying to try different things by adapting some of his interest. I guess I'm gonna have to push myself by insisting him that I want to try some of the things he like. I mean, if we want to be together we're gonna have to understand each others differences anyway. He also thinks that a couple should be completely similar to each other, I'm like what? YOu can't be completely similar to each other. That;s just impossible! :s-smilie:

Oh well, thank you. I appreciate your response and I'll see what I can do when I get to see him. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending