The Student Room Group

Possibility of Pre-Med?

As an all 4 rejections medical hopeful - Im just wondering what the Pre-Med year is? Doing a course for a year (that if you excel allows a transfer to medicine) is alot more appealing than a year out or applying postgraduate. Is there any advice to give? Also which unis in the UK do the pre-med I can only find a few. Thanks
P.s if it makes a difference to success of application I was only eliminated on the final day so my application must have dodged the first hurdles.
Reply 1
Original post by That Bearded Man
Doing a course for a year (that if you excel allows a transfer to medicine) is alot more appealing than .

Appealing, yes. Realistic, no.
Original post by digitalis
Appealing, yes. Realistic, no.

Ok - so what is this Pre-med then?
Reply 3
It's basically for people who didn't do chemistry and sometimes biology at A level. It'll get you up to speed with the other applicants who have taken chemistry. Without chemistry, it's hard to get in, as a lot of medicine relies on a basic knowledge of chemical reactions.

It's VERY hard to get into- places are usually 20 (or less) for each university- and if you've taken bio and chem, what's the point?
Reply 4
Ok - so what is this Pre-med then?

Doesn't exist in the UK, I was merely referring to what you were talking about in your OP.
Original post by navarre
It's basically for people who didn't do chemistry and sometimes biology at A level. It'll get you up to speed with the other applicants who have taken chemistry. Without chemistry, it's hard to get in, as a lot of medicine relies on a basic knowledge of chemical reactions.

It's VERY hard to get into- places are usually 20 (or less) for each university- and if you've taken bio and chem, what's the point?

Pre-Med then doesnt make your application more likely to succeed then?
Reply 6
Original post by digitalis
Doesn't exist in the UK, I was merely referring to what you were talking about in your OP.

so pre-med isnt available at leicester?
Reply 7
Original post by alia
so pre-med isnt available at leicester?

" What about the Pre-Med programme from the University of Sussex? (A100)

A. We do not consider this or any other pre-med courses."

http://www.le.ac.uk/sm/le/faq/faq.htm#faq32
Reply 8
Whilst there is no 'pre-med' as such, there are some courses where you can transfer to medicine after the first year.
For example Clinical Sciences at Bradford is a 3 year course, however if you get above a certain mark at the end of the first year exam, you may transfer to Leeds Medical School to join there in the 2nd year. I applied for this as my fifth choice. It is quite competitive as you can imagine though, and if you don't get to transfer to the med course, you're left on a 3 year course that you might not have otherwise wanted to do.
hope this helps :smile:
Reply 9
Pre-Med then doesnt make your application more likely to succeed then?

Not really.

My fifth option will be veterinary sciences- it's not likely to be any less competetive, but it's something I genuinely would be interested in.
Some med schools have foundation courses for people who don't have the right A Levels or whose English isn't up to scratch
Reply 11
How is studying another degree, wasting £3k (more likely £9k for you?) just to leave after a year with no qualification more appealing than taking out a no-strings-attached year-long holiday and then getting in to study medicine? :confused: Am I missing something?
Original post by Beska
How is studying another degree, wasting £3k (more likely £9k for you?) just to leave after a year with no qualification more appealing than taking out a no-strings-attached year-long holiday and then getting in to study medicine? :confused: Am I missing something?

Year long holiday? what are you going to do all year?
Reply 13
Year long holiday? what are you going to do all year?

Not have to worry about anything. The fundamental concept of a holiday, really!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending