The Student Room Group

Which came first, Chicken or Egg?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by TurboCretin
You think?

I've edited the original post to make the question more clear. It is meant to be chicken or chicken's egg, otherwise the entire thread would be pointless - so your assumption is right.
Original post by CrazyDaisy123
I say chicken... evolved from another species whilst cut off from the original population. Therefore a restricted flow of alleles etc etc... im thinking founder effect or genetic bottleneck. Who knows? Ask AQA biology.

WHY THE NEGS?

What came first, the chicken or the neg?
Reply 42
Original post by JaggySnake95
The egg. It's jsut the more realistic option. Let's say you were to wake up tommorow, what would freak you out more: an egg lying there, or some random creature you'd never seen before? That's my view anyway.

If we look at it from the perspective of which came into existence first, and we assume the genetic evolutionary line of the egg is a chicken, then I would be more surprised to see an egg lying there, rather than the chicken. This definitely raises the issue of when we count a chicken a chicken. If we all evolved from similar creatures the egg would have to come first, if the chicken has it's own individual evolutionary line then the chicken would.

My understanding of where evolution supposedly started isn't strong... my thoughts are saying now we all evolved from similar organisms, as I think that's the general assumption, and so the egg would come first...:s-smilie:
Original post by Maximum Velocity
Who put the egg there then, did it just suddenly appear.....?

Now I'm not sure! Maybe the chicken evolved from something that didn't lay eggs? :dontknow:
Reply 44
A circle has no beginning...
Original post by xEndeavors
The egg, because of evolution.

it completely depends how you define "chicken egg". thats basically all this question comes down to.

personally i think its to do with what animal laid it rather than what animal hatched from it. so only a chicken would be able to lay a chicken egg. therefore the chicken must have come first.
Reply 46
Neither, the cake chicken is a lie. :cool:
Reply 48
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
it completely depends how you define "chicken egg". thats basically all this question comes down to.

personally i think its to do with what animal laid it rather than what animal hatched from it. so only a chicken would be able to lay a chicken egg. therefore the chicken must have come first.

If you define a chicken egg as an egg laid by a chicken, that's right.

But if you define it as an egg which contains a chicken embryo, then it's wrong.

Either way, on an evolutionary basis, the first chicken came from an egg, and didn't change genetically after it was conceived, so it's got to be the egg.
Reply 49
Original post by nulli tertius

However, for the religious fundamentalists:

This is not correct.

Genesis 1:21

"And God created...every winged fowl after his kind"

It says nothing about God creating eggs.

Because that's why I'm wrong...:rolleyes:
Original post by Aurora.
If you define a chicken egg as an egg laid by a chicken, that's right.

But if you define it as an egg which contains a chicken embryo, then it's wrong.

Either way, on an evolutionary basis, the first chicken came from an egg, and didn't change genetically after it was conceived, so it's got to be the egg.

yeh but i don't define it as an egg that contains a chicken embryo. otherwise whenever you see an egg you'd have to wait for it to hatch (or cut it open) to decide what type of egg it is which is clearly ridiculous. going further along those lines any unfertilised egg could only ever be classed as simply an egg, whether it was laid by an ostrich, chicken, duck or woodpecker.
Egg
/thread
Original post by xEndeavors
Now I'm not sure! Maybe the chicken evolved from something that didn't lay eggs? :dontknow:

I think what people are trying to say is...

The egg came first because... The egg wasn't laid by a chicken, it was laid by something else, so it was the first ever chicken...

However if chickens can only come from chickens then the chicken came first, but I think it;s the latter
Original post by limetang
The egg.

At one point during the evolution that lead up to a chicken there must have been a slightly less chicken like creatur giving birth to a slightly more chicken like creature.

So I agree with you =P

I lol'd. Thanks for cheering me up before I start yet another horrible saturday night at work
Original post by nbee
A circle has no beginning...

It does. If I draw a circle, the point where I first touch the notepad is were it begins.
Reply 55
wouldnt science say something like a particular animal evolved into the chicken??
like errm, i dunnooo, somethin like a pteradactyl evolved into a bat maybe (they seem to share similar physical properties, or atleast in my mind they do! :tongue:)
**** THIS **** ! LOL

WHY IS THERE EARTH, WHY ARE WE HERE, WHY DO I HAVE EARSSS

JHezuusss
Reply 57
Obviously the chicken came first. God made the animals, not the eggs!
Reply 58
Original post by Maximum Velocity
**** THIS **** ! LOL

WHY IS THERE EARTH, WHY ARE WE HERE, WHY DO I HAVE EARSSS

JHezuusss

:lolwut:
Reply 59
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
yeh but i don't define it as an egg that contains a chicken embryo. otherwise whenever you see an egg you'd have to wait for it to hatch (or cut it open) to decide what type of egg it is which is clearly ridiculous. going further along those lines any unfertilised egg could only ever be classed as simply an egg, whether it was laid by an ostrich, chicken, duck or woodpecker.

I know... It's complicated... But then an egg could be laid by a sparrow and something entirely different hatch; then what kind of egg is it? (Btw I'm a biologist and not an idiot and therefore know this just doesn't happen, but just a thought.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending